Can you recommend an antenna?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by hitchcock4, May 19, 2016.

1. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

$4 SPECIAL

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Built too many to count. Don't know why Marconi would even care. Tesla was the inventor of radio transmission.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  3. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

we have 2 antenna's one alpha delta dxcc dipole and a cushcraft r9000 sometimes the signals are stronger vertical and other times on the dipole.

oldman11 and techsar like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Antennas operate by Magic, unless one really digs into the Physics of RF Radiation... The Issue with Vertical Antennas is "How Good is the RF Ground, that supports the Vertical Antenna?" Good RF Ground, they work WELL... Bad RF Ground, A wet Noodle works better... Designing and Building a GOOD RF Ground, to support and HF Vertical Antenna, is a Science all by itself... There are Rules of Thumb that can be applied, to help in those endeavors... Dipoles, and the like, are Balanced Antennas, and therefor are NOT RF Ground dependent... For them, Distance ABOVE the Earth Ground, is the Critical Factor for Radiation Pattern in the Horizontal Plain... To get the best Take-Off Angles they should be at least 1/4 Wave Length ABOVE the Earth Ground... and if you have some Nice Tall Towers, or Trees a Full Wave Length is even better.... Then there are the "Sky Burners" NVIS Antennas that are intended to provide for Intermediate distance Comms on Lower HF Frequencies that fill in for distances between Ground Wave coverage and 1st Hop Sky Wave Coverage... These type Balanced Antennas are usually strung less than 20ft above the Earth Ground, and have an almost Vertical Radiation Pattern, but depend on the Ionosphere Reflections to redistribute the RF Radiation in the NVIS Zone... Bad Ionosphere today, You can talk to Mars, but not to your buddy, 150 miles away....

oldman11 and techsar like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How high up is the dxcc wire, and which r9000 do you have? Both should serve well, and with both you can pick the one working best at the time; a good thing. What is your station elevation?

oldman11 likes this.
  6. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

the alpha delta dxcc dipole are some 13 meters above the ground betweem 2 trees, the chuscraft vertical is now 4 jears old, elevation i don' t know but ive worked some 147 country' s till now all cw, cw works better than ssb we have only 100 watt out an yaesu ftdx 3000

oldman11 likes this.
  7. BTPost

@Swedish woman If you ever get a good band opening on 20 Meters, to Alaska.... Give me call on 14292.0 kHz USB... That is the Alaska Calling Frequency, and we hold the Alaska Emergency Preparidness Net every weekday morning at 08:30 local Time...
    Bruce AL7AQ

oldman11 likes this.
  8. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

by the way, our callsigns are sm2arc and sm2npl

oldman11 likes this.
  9. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

Bruce do you also monitoring the arctic emergancy channel 5167.5 khz ?
    When we not on air on the ham bands we do monitoring this channel as well.

oldman11 likes this.
  10. BTPost

We do use that Frequency, on occasion, as it is designated as the Alaska Emergency Calling and Working Channel by our Comms Regulator. (Federal Communications Commission) It is available to ANY and ALL Licensed Radio Stations & Services, and does NOT depend of the Radio Service that the License is in... Police, Fire, Private, Ham, CB, Marine, Broadcast, or any other Radio Service... I usually only monitor it when there is an Earthquake, that may effect my area, or that is in Alaska, somewhere, like the 7.0 in Anchorage a while back... It is NOT available for International Communications here in the USA, although I suspect I could get an STA (Special Temporary Authority) with just a Phone Call...
    I am a reTIRED FCC Resident Field Agent for the FCC here in Alaska, and still have many colleagues that work for the Commission... I have been in the Alaska Comms industry for over 50+ Years, and have worked on Systems from VLF clear up thru 30GHz Sat Comms, and specialized in Marine, Aviation, and HF Comms, before Cellular Phones made most of that technology, if not Obsolete, at least Very Mature Technology....
    Do you folks have any 60 Meter (5.1Mhz) frequencies allocated to your Ham Bands in Sweden? In the USA we have, I think, 5 such Frequencies in that band... Maybe we could look at using one of those if they are common to Both Countries...

oldman11 likes this.
  11. Swedish woman

Swedish woman Monkey

yes we have 60 meters only 15 watts 5351.5 to 5354 cw and digi modes 5354 to 5366 ssb but we have not an antenna for this band, and there is not so much activety, the only band what we also want but we heve on this moment not antennes for it is 160 meters.

oldman11 likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4
  9. DKR
  10. SB21
  11. Bandit99