Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Jun 22, 2017.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[biggrouphug]

@M118LR the only pompous *** around here is @schizo_monkey ;) :D

@ everybody please try to be civil :)

RightHand, Meat, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

What weapon did they use an 81mm mortar?

VisuTrac, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

Brokor, Meat, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here is where a lot of propaganda gets spread! For years and years, We ( my teams and I ) were forbidden to ever speak of the rifles and optics we were equipped with, and the ranges we were capable of striking at!!! I remember hearing from several media reports that a .50 Cal. Rifle was only capable of about 1 1/2 mile accurately! What a load of Horse stuff, I have seen a M-2 score repeated hits at ranges well beyond 2 miles from low flying air craft, SO, you can imagine that a rifle using that round would be capable of AT LEAST that, RIGHT! One of the biggest reasons no one was to ever speak of any of this was the effects that a .50 cal rifle projectile has on impact with a Human! Devastating is a understatement, that round will literally blow a human to pieces!!! Even a .300 win mag will tear a person in to pieces, and the .338 Lapua Mag is almost as nasty as it's big brother .50!!! I cannot tell you what these rounds are actually capable of, but the optics have gotten good enough to take these rounds to the raged edge of how far they can actually still be lethal!

Keeping the enemy guessing at just how far sniper teams are good for based on equipment and experience is all part of the psy-ops of war fighting, and declaring this Canadian teams accomplishments is as much about Canadian Military pride as it is about skill and the "Effective range" capability!

BTW, Don't bother ever asking me how far I am good for, Just know that I can!!!
    AND, even with a top notch 15X power scope, I can see a tango at the distance this "record" was made at, with enough detail to identify the target and..............

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, Meat and 7 others like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Technical difficulties?
    All I see is a red x.
    Am I thever only one seeing this?

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hit Refresh, and try again!

Tully Mars, sec_monkey and oil pan 4 like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Holy crap with a 1000 yard zero and pushing 3000fps the drop/hold over is like 600 feet. Talk about Kentucky windage. What is your aiming point .. the sun?

Hell with a 6mph cross wind .. after 7+ second flight time .. he'd have to compensate 400 feet to right/left for that too.

but it still hits at 1400+ FPE but slowed to 925+ FPS.

No red mist. Probably sounded like a cat being hit broadside with a rock out of a slingshot.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Dunerunner, Brokor, DKR and 4 others like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I live IN a forest, 180-200 foot trees 3-5' at the base , Once Im up in the canopy , I can transfer via line & spurs .. Wind masks my sound as My wife has lost me up the branches ..

Sloth

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Sorry SEC, this Monkey only repeated what he read. Monkey see, Monkey Do, may not be proper etiquette?
    As to the conversation, didn't Gunny Hathcock use a 50 BMG M-2 equipped with a scope for Sniping back in the 60's-70's?

3M-TA3, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Uri-ki, old Sargent once told me that the main purpose of security was to make as many of the enemy pilots as possible have as their last thought, What the he## was that? Same thing happens with the ground pounders, just different location and different weapons. Have had a little experience with some of the latest night vision equipment, make some of it our area, and as far as I can figure out, if properly equipped, we own the night, and it would be real nice for our enemies to find that out the hard way. Thank for your service and I in a way envy you your toys and the art that they allow.

11. sec_monkey

M118LR likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Gunny Hathcock primarily used a Winchester M-70 .30/06 that had been blueprinted and tuned for 165 gr steel core projectiles! Later, he switched to a Remington M-40 ( Remmy 40-X) specially built in .300 Win Mag and tuned to run "special" 195 Gr bronze solids. His legendary shoot out with the Vietnamese sniper was with the earlier Winchester!

13. sec_monkey

1967 2,500 yd with a Ma Deuce :)

3M-TA3 and M118LR like this.
  14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

From what I have read of the famous "white feather" he pretty much used and depended upon a 30 cal bolt action M40? and later the sniper version of the M14 (M24?). I have read a couple books on him and don't seem to remember anything about him humping a 50cal version of anything in the jungles of Nam in the 60-70s. Maybe some testing with something like that in the States, but Nam? I think not!

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  15. M118LR

Tully Mars, tacmotusn and sec_monkey like this.
  16. M118LR

Perhaps it's time to discuss that legendary M40. Prior to 1970 it was an off the rack production heavy bull barreled rifle available at any local retailer. (and it wasn't only Remington's that went afield) It wasn't until those highly motivated and qualified MARINE Armors got their hands on them that the M40A1 set new standards for Military Accuracy. But don't take my word for it. M40 rifle - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

[​IMG]

Dunerunner, M118LR, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Gunny Hathcock wan't the only one Sniping with an M2... It was common, up along the DMZ, With the North, early on in the 60's.... I understand that there are practioners along the Korean DMZ, AS WELL.... And no doubt the Isrealies are doing some of this, in the Golan, and the Lebanese Boarder.... Just because the MSM hasn't caught up with these folks, doesn't mean it isn't happening...

M118LR, 3M-TA3, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Congrats to you long shooters. A 2.2 mile shot is still pretty impressive no matter how he did it. Never was lucky enough to get the chance to go thru that training. I'm pretty much a self taught shooter from way back. Learned about Kentucky windage with my old one cock daisy BB gun back in the 60s. Got to picking off a few squirrels with a 1022 with a 3x9 40mm Tasco scope at a couple hundred yards or so. I don't have the equipment to have any real effectiveness for much more than a 1000 yards. But in my AO , your gonna find very places like that to see a target at that range. But I do like hearing y'all's stories.

20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Our first rifles after completing DMR school ( Army Marksmanship school) were M-40 Long actions and we were allowed to choose which cal. we wished as a team, we settled on .300 W.M and we ran that as our "standard" for the entire time I was in, and I was told they are still using these to this day as the basic platform. As each of us developed our skill set and personal preferences, we were allowed to procure different platforms based on needs and mission requirements. We had Cobb bolt action .50 Cal rifles, we had Accuracy International .300 W.M and later .338 Lapua mag ( My personal choice) and several others on the teams had SAKO TRG's in both cal's as we standardized on those three flavors. I was part of the first group to test and develop the .338 L.M as a precision rifle package using very special Remington 40-X actions and matching bolts, and it was a fun experience with a lot of barrels getting made and tested to find the perfect set of specs from which to work from, at the same time, we were working with bullet manufactures to test and tune our ammo to get the best performance possible from the rifle and ammo combo! Once the Combo specs were set, each shooter was paired up with an armorer and a serialized rifle was made BY HAND and then broken in. Back then, we had to hand load batches of ammo our selves, and we would be constantly tweaking those loads looking for every bit of improvement we could get. We went from a rifle that was good well beyond 1760 yards, to well over 2200 yards with modest improvements, and today's .338 can exceed that by quite a bit more, I have heard 3000+ yards is possible with the right conditions and components, and based on the data I have seen, I can believe that!

M118LR, 3M-TA3, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7