Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[banghead]

M118LR, DarkLight and BTPost like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am willing to bet, that he was aiming for Center Mass, and got the Projectile Drop a little Off, and blew his lower Belly into the next Century.... Along with his Goodies....

Ura-Ki, Meat, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

3 pages of guff highlighting the importance of fieldcraft, camouflage, cover, and concealment at the sharp end, and the price to be paid by failing at it. Love it.

Ura-Ki, M118LR, Meat and 2 others like this.
  4. Unique

Unique Monkey

He was just turning his life around and planned to go to "college" in the Fall

Ura-Ki, SB21, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  5. Unique

Unique Monkey

There have been an awful lot of words wasted to say (in essence) that this was a lucky shot and it probably was and the guy probably couldn't have hit The next to Abdula with his next shot.

So what?

He still made the shot on Aladdin and it was still the longest sniper shot ever recorded.

M118LR likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Second Battle of Adobe Walls
    Adobe Walls was the name of a trading post in the Texas Panhandle, just north of the Canadian River.

On the third day after the initial attack, 15 Indian warriors rode out on a bluff nearly a mile away to survey the situation. At the behest of one of the hunters, William "Billy" Dixon, already renowned as a crack shot, took aim with a "Big Fifty" Sharps (it was either a .50-70 or -90, probably the latter) that he had borrowed from Hanrahan and cleanly dropped a warrior from atop his horse. "I was admittedly a good marksman, yet this was what might be called a 'scratch' shot.":
    Seeing their fellow warrior killed from such a distance apparently so discouraged the Indians that they decamped and gave up the fight.

and

The stand-off continued into a third day, when a group of Indians were noticed about a mile east of Adobe Walls. It is said that Dixon took aim with a quickly borrowed .50-90 Sharps (as, according to his biography, he only had a .45-90 Sharps and felt it could not reach) buffalo rifle and fired, knocking an Indian near Chief Quanah Parker off his horse almost a mile away on his third shot and killing him. Unnerved, the Indians then withdrew and left the settlement alone. .

also

With a borrowed .50-90 Sharp’s rifle he braced on a wall, windowsill or barrel (accounts of the incident are not that exacting) Dixon raised his peep sight and did mental calculations as to distance, trajectory and windage. A 24-year-old Virginian, he knew nothing of ballistic science, but he had killed hundreds if not thousands of buffalo. He did know how to handle a high-powered rifle.

Dixon pulled the set trigger (which releases some of the tension on the firing mechanism, but not all) and then squeezed off the shot. As the rifle kicked his shoulder, a conical lead bullet weighing nearly an ounce spun through the heavy octagonal barrel followed by a cloud of the white smoke created by black powder. Before the targeted Indian heard the shot, he toppled from his horse, dead or dying.

With its heavy barrels, set triggers and hefty powder charges, the 1874 Sharps was the ideal rifle for long-range shooting. Buffalo hunters frequently made killing shots exceeding 500 yards, but Billy Dixon did that range some better in 1874.

And

Later, the Army sent a team to verify the distance. It was 1,538 yards–7/8 of a mile. With iron sights. Years later, Dixon admitted it was a lucky shot. But he was also quoted as saying, “I was not without confidence in my marksmanship.”

[​IMG]

The 50-90 is a formidable round - even in black powder loading.

[​IMG]
    The Sharps is legendary for its accuracy at long distance, even back in the day.

So it would seem some folks have been using .50 caliber weapons to eliminate the threat at extreme distances for a very long time.

7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^So cool. Not the dying part of course.

Ura-Ki and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

shooting the Sharps 50-90

and they had an even large round
    the 50-140!

The movie shot heard 'round the world

arleigh, Ura-Ki, M118LR and 2 others like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Never shot a .50 cal Sharps but my .45-120 will reach out quite a ways.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

What did Jeremiah Johnson do with his .45 ?

chelloveck likes this.
  11. BTPost

That is easy, He took it with him.... Back in those days, a Rifle was of more worth than Gold.... even a .45 He would have to still use it (the .45) until he could pick up a .50 Cal Bullet Mold, to make his Reloads, with, unless he also happened to find Hatchet Jack's " Possibles Bag, with his Bullet Mold, inside, as well, when he found the weapon...

12. M118LR

It's Frighty Night, (B&W Monster Movies) and the G-Kids are still in the pool,popcorn is waiting to be popped, Snow Caps ain't been opened, pizza ain't here yet, and BOY COULD I TOSS SOME DRIFT INTO THIS THREAD!
    But that wouldn't be right BTPost.
    Perhaps we should scale back and reference the magic 1K mark for Rifleman vs Artillery back in the days of black powder?

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You asked.

He answered.

Looks fair to me, so why did you ask?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  14. M118LR

Because folks that have never done it wanted to inquire Merkun!
    Just because I've got a little experience behind a trigger, it don't mean that other folks are not inquisitive!
    Well they should be. But while I can't say what my next experience will be when I cross the line, I can pass along what I have previously done to face that moment. And perhaps others might realize that it's what you do..... vs what you think you might do.......
    That matters to the folks that you lead into Combat in the first place!!!!!!!!
    Now face thier folks when your opinions where responsible for toting the box that their "Loved One's" lie in....................

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  15. Tully Mars

I assume he kept it.
    My .45-120 in an 1874 model Sharps with a 500 grn bullet is going approx 1,590 FPS and an average 3/4" group @ 100yrds off the shooting sticks. The Cap n Ball .45 of JJ's isn't close to the Sharps. I doubt the .50 that he inherited would be either.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. BTPost

Just as a NOTE, here, @Tully Mars... When you bring up a 1874 Sharps, and compare it to a .45 or even a .50 Hawkin.... You are comparing Apples and Oranges..... and 50 years of technology improvements.... As far as the HAWKIN goes, it is the Barrel Length and quality of the Rifling, that makes the difference... My .50 Hawkin has a 34" Green Mountain Custom Barrel, and does just Jim Dandy out to 200Yds, with a 90Grain REAL BP loading.... firing MiniBalls, and Patched Round Balls..The thing that made the Hawkin such a Prized Weapon, was the Rifling, over the Lancaster Long Rifles of that era...

17. M118LR

But I must direct your attention to the current state of the "Battlefield" And just what you conspired to vanquish your opponents with????????????????

18. Tully Mars

That was my point (although poorly made) when I was replying to @M118LR and his reply to my post about my .45-120. Clear as mud?:D

M118LR and sec_monkey like this.
  19. M118LR

So now that those of us that might have been, converse with those of us that have never been, and we are pointing out particulars of those that have gone from the past. Is it time to reference this to TODAY? Or is it more interesting to converse about what may have been vs what really was?

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Bacon rules the day...yes bacon makes the world go round. Thread drift.....got to love it!!!
    [chopper]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7