Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

What it really all boils down to is
    Thanksgiving Dinner.JPG

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You sir are one hellofan artist!!!!!!! :D

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Interesting turkey...I'll put it down to artistic license. (y)

4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

While SPECOP's will probably continue to use whatever precision rifle the operator wants. So I guess the next question to be answered in the Sniper World will be what Rifle replaces the Short Action 7.62 x 51 mm M40A5. The Army already dropped the M24 and replaced it with the M2010 moving up to the .300 Win Mag. Wonder if the USMC will adopt the M82 or M107?

Kingfish and sec_monkey like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Here is an analysis by Rex Tibor (TiberasaurusRex)

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Holdover would be something like 87 mils on a scope that maxes out at 27 mils.
    Color me baffled. Amazing shot, those Canadians keep racking them up.
    I like Rex's take on it.

Kingfish likes this.
  7. M118LR

Anyone that has ever attempted a shot at a distance that projectile must travel from super to sub sonic can attest to the almost impossibility of correctly placing the first round "On Target". Ballistic Coefficient and velocity are vital to determining the distance at which the projectile losses the predictability of supersonic flight.

Kingfish, sec_monkey and BTPost like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Bullets are stable and accurate in both the super and sub sonic speeds. You lose accuracy when the bullet passes through the trans sonic area. That's the speed where a plane produces a sonic boom. Similar forces affect the attitude and direction of a bullet and it may even start to tumble. That this shot was beyond the supersonic range says an awful lot about the skills of the team that pulled this off.

Kingfish, Cruisin Sloth and Brokor like this.
  9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Incredible shot for sure. I chose my AO for a lot of reasons. One of which is that there are no long shots here. 200 yards on the road in thats it. Well 224 yards to be exact is the longest shot anyone here friend or foe could possibly line up. Open farm lands a shot like that could be used. out on an expressway. Michigan is a combination of dense forests, hills , lakes and rivers, Long range shooters wont have a shot here In my AO. I am fortunate in that respect. Having to deal with some guy who can pick you off at say a 1000 yards is terrifying. If I was an ISIS fighter over there? I woulnt be ha ha ha . Anywhere within 2 miles? no way man. Bad AO in my opinion unless you are the best long range shooter on the planet. What this feat proves to me? Is that I chose the right terrain to defend. The best place to hide. No shot here I cant make easy. We took the long range shooter out of the equation here.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Exactly why ALL my Long Range shots are over water.... I live in a Boreal Rain Forest, and a 75 Yard shot, is a very long shot, on land... But over water, My "Reach out and Touch something" Weapon is the only thing to have, and it was SPECIFICALLY Designed for such Shots & Encounters.... Terrain is EVERYTHING...

11. M118LR

Supposition? Possibly even over confidence? Wasn't there a lake within the utopia? Isn't it more 224 yards?
    How many of those ISIS folk figured they took the long range shooter out of the equation? Wonder what they figured was the closest/furthermost point an opposition shooter would come to their final position? I don't think they believed a 2.2 mile shot would work in their AO either.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Surprise, surprise, surprise..... As they arrive in the Hot Place.... Looking for their 72 Virginians....

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Hyper sonic is out If the projectile is of Hyper build , So tans/giro / unstable to sub sonic phase is missed till later . . Meter per second has been increased , VD's have be added on many pro's

Sloth

Kingfish likes this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

you need line of sight to make a long shot. There is no line of sight here over 240 yards PERIOD. Anyone on the lake has already beaten us. Anyone who could see the lake has already beaten us.

15. M118LR

That sounds so harsh Kingfish. Perhaps it's just a lone shooter that has infiltrated inside of your defensive perimeter? Your not beaten, but you must take an appropriate action to minimize the damage. JMHO.

Kingfish and Tully Mars like this.
  16. chelloveck

Perhaps some sniper scopes have a clinometer function, similar to some mortars.

Kingfish likes this.
  17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

In a manner of speaking, some of the fancier scopes have compensation for up or down hill shots. Somehow, I think your average rifle projo would not be too awful effective in indirect fire unless the whole regiment is doing volley fire as in causing lead rain.

Kingfish and Brokor like this.
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

It will be pretty damned hard for anyone to get through the choke without being at least challenged. After that if a guy managed to escape and wanted to see he could make the long journey around all the natural barriers , about a 15 mile hike to get behind us. Even then if he ended up on the other side of the lake from me? He would be in an ex Marines yard. One way in . then around the lake. We command the way in. Anyone coming at us is coming at us from there. We are only vulnerable from the air. copters or planes we dont have much if any defense against. Also a tank or something that can withstand a .50 bmg round. could get to the center of the choke but unless it had tracks would be stopped by the missing culvert And the downed trees before that. Anyone coming at us is going to be clearing a lot of road before they ever get into 240 yard line of sight range. Once they round that curve they are in range of our rifles. All they will see is a deep hole where there was once a road. They will be going down hill Mud and swamps on both sides. Cat tails for cover. The mud is so deep first guy in will go to his chest. 5 feet further and he is gone forever. Silt is very dangerous here. so if they get off the road they get stuck and that makes for easy shots for us. There simply is zero cover. And there is Fake cover which we will leave as traps. We even have thought of blowing a bridge about 4 miles from us to keep Any vehicle traffic from coming at us. That would depend on how bad the shtf was. Number one they have to know we are here, number two they would have to know we had something they wanted. Otherwise they are just scavenging and scavengers are not elite military .

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

one last point, why would a guy sneak in to shoot one person? We would be on him like hornets in minutes. Makes no sense. What does make sense is one guy manages to slip in and recons the area. Or one drone manages to recon the area. Then we have to cover more bases. But it is still our Ground. We know it they dont. This is the forest, not the city, the desert, the plains or the prairies. This the dense Michigan bottom lands . We grew up here hunt here, live here and are staying here. :)

Anyone getting past our perimeter has beaten us any way you look at it. He got past the choke, the patrols, the traps, the sentries, the listening posts, the motion sensors etc. Our forward look outs, he beat our radios everything. Just to get to a point where he could see the lake would be very very hard without being confronted.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  20. chelloveck

The sight graduations on the old SMLE .303 rifles made provision for just that, being graduated for well beyond the effective range for accurate aimed fire. The whole company / battalion would fire five or ten rounds rapid in the general direction of the target at a specified range as harassing / interdiction small arms fire. The 7.62mm SLR rear sight was calibrated to a maximum effective range of 800 metres (for section fire).

Kingfish and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7