Cancer Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TailorMadeHell, Dec 19, 2006.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Well folks, I just heard from a friend of mine that there is a situation with my grandmother. Seems some while back she developed a bump on her neck. She went to the doctor a couple days ago to have it checked and from what I gather it was said to be cancer. Specific was Cancer of the lymphnodes. According to my friend, the doctor wanted to start my grandmother on radiation and she declined. She said that she was going to go see a doctor that my aunt used as she had breast cancer. I guess that doc would be more enlightened about it as he/she deals with such on a regular basis.

Anyone know if there is any way that this could have been misdiagnosed and is a bunch of hooey? I know there are two types usually, malignant and benign and at present time I don't know which she may have. Won't have word on it for a few days at the least. So anyone who can help put my mind at ease or give me the cut and dry, I will appreciate it. And please pray for her.

Thanks.

TMH

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Well unfortunately, TMH, afaik cancer is not misdiagnosed very often, possible yes, but not likely at all. There has been a lot of it in my family, and an uncle is going through his 3rd bought with it now.

There are actually lots of different kinds, some malignant, some not, some much more aggressive than others.

I'm afraid at this point, there's not much to ease your mind. The only cut and dry I can offer is that she NEEDS to get to that other doctor and adress this as quickly as possible. The longer she waits, the worse off she'll be, this I'm 100% sure of.

You and your grandmother have my sincere hopes and wishes.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Thanks Blackjack. She lives currently in AL and her sister is in SC so that is where she is travelling to. The friend I mentioned is having eye surgery today and will be out of it for a few days, and as she is my only contact for my family, I'll have to wait and see what develops. I don't know what to think at the moment, I am not wanting to look at the bigger picture though here goes.

A few years back we all noticed that whenever she wanted to speak to you, she would call you some other person's name until she got the right one. We thought it was just a getting older thing. As we all aren't real close to each other, news trickles down. One thing that was slipped out is the possibility that she has a tumor in her brain. I don't know if this is true though her memory has been affected as above and she has killer migraines a lot more than most people. Her migraines get so bad that she has to go get a shot to calm them. We don't know for sure if it is really migraines or if she is not telling us the whole truth so as not to worry us.

Her sisters have all (three of them) had breast cancer. So I take it that cancer is not a random thing in her genes. So this all comes down to the possibility of a tumor (cancerous) on her brain and this lymph thing as a secondary cancer. Though it could be just that she has the lymphatic cancer and that is it. I don't know. I can only think of the worst and hope for the best. I do know her personality has changed and could point out that she knows something she's not telling.

A couple years back she bought savings bonds for every one of her grandchildren. She mails me letters and cards and every one of them now have where she keeps telling me she's proud of me. She forgets names and sometimes dates. It is hard not to think the worst. I will do what I can and hope for the best, though in the end I know it's not my call to make should it be her time to head towards Heaven. I can only trust that she will meet up with my grandfather again.

So here's to hoping it can be remedied as she is going to get it checked out soon.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7