1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Canning BBQ sauce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajax, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I have a good recipe for BBQ sauce and would like to can it. What would be involved in canning a sauce like this and how long could I expect it to last?

I remember helping my mom can a lot of veggies and jams but I never got into the technical know how. I know it's basically heat the can in water, add the product, put the lid on and let it cook for a certain amount of time and the lids will pull down and seal as it cools, or something to that effect.

Can I make the sauce like normal or do I need to add anything to help preserve it? It's tomato based with seasonings and some sugar so it should have plenty of sodium if that matters.

EDIT: Sorry I should have put a question mark in the title to indicate a question. Is it possible for a mod to add a ? so people don't think I am explaining how to can, lol.
  2. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Falcon15 likes this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

Cephus likes this.
  4. beast

beast backwoodsman

ive always just canned plain tomato sauce or whole tomatoes
    when i need a particular variant i just add up the extras
    so its a nice fresh sauce every time
  5. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

In Eastern NC,our BBQ sauce is vinegar based and last forever,as a matter of fact, the older it is the better it is. jmho!
  6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Cool, thanks. I'll check out that link.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary