Canning - Eating what you put away

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, May 23, 2015.

1. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

You can fry them up and freeze them. I do this and also lots of Okra and it last thru the winter. But, of course, you are talking canning. No, there is really no way to can them to fry later unless you want to fry the pickled kind. I do that too. It is like fried pickles.

madmax, Ganado and NotSoSneaky like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol fried picked green tomatoes. Love !
    Do u pickle the just vinegar? I've never pickled green tomatoes

3. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Apple cider vinegar is also a good rust remover. Soak your cast iron in it.

Ganado and pearlselby like this.
  5. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I canned stewed tomatoes today.

Ganado likes this.
  6. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

100_4073.JPG I thought I had uploaded a pic.

ditch witch, Ganado and Sapper John like this.
  7. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I need to use some tomorrow on a pan I found has rusted. Thanks Kellory!

kellory and Ganado like this.
  8. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

They aren't going to fry up as nicely as if you'd just picked them off the vine but you can do it. Slice them thicker than you would for fresh fried green tomatoes, about a quarter to a half inch thick. Pack into quart jars and add 1 tsp canning salt. Add boiling water, leave 1/2" headspace. Process in boiling water bath for 7-10 minutes. (I've seen some say to go as long as 40 minutes but I think you'd just have mush if you did that) If you're worried about the acidity you can add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice to up the acid.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    madmax and Ganado like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wow I never thought about pickling and frying them. Brilliant!

pearlselby likes this.
  10. ditch witch

They're not pickled that way tho, no vinegar, so it doesn't alter the original taste.

Ganado and pearlselby like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  12. ditch witch

My grandmother used to make a watermelon rind pickle.... I can't remember if I liked it or not, was just a little kid at the time. Haven't tried making it... our watermelons are a bust this year but maybe next year.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

To much rain?

Ganado likes this.
  14. ditch witch

No, we did something stupid and everything in that bed was stunted.

Ganado likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I am ever in search of 'what do I do with all this zucchini' Here is an amazing recipe. Yes I've made it and its to die for!

Zucchini, Potato and Scallion Pancakes with Chived Sour Cream

Makes about 15 pancakes with topping
    Total cost: NY $6.81
    Cost per pancake: NY $0.45

[​IMG]

Ingredients
    • 1 large potato (NY $0.89)
    • 2 large zucchini (NY $1.78)
    • Salt (staple)
    • 1 bunch scallions (NY $0.59)
    • 2 eggs (NY $0.33)
    • ½ cup whole wheat flour* (NY $0.14)
    • Pepper (staple)
    • 4 tbsps canola or olive oil** (staple)
    • 1 cup lowfat sour cream (NY $1.09)
    • 1 bunch chives (NY $1.99)

Directions
    • Clean and scrub potato and zucchini (no need to peel).
    • Grate potato and zucchini into a colander and toss with a teaspoon of salt. Let sit for about 10 minutes,
    • Scoop up about a handful into a clean dishcloth. Wring out over the sink. Place dried grated vegetables into a large bowl. Repeat, switching to a clean dry dishtowel if need be, until you’ve dried all the grated vegetables. You want the potato and zucchini to be pretty dry at this point. (I use a coffee filter)
    • Slice the scallions into ¼ inch slices, and add to grated veggies in bowl.
    • Add the flour, beaten eggs, and pepper to taste and stir to combine
    • Chop chives and combine with sour cream in a separate bowl.
    • Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pick up about a handful of veggie mixture, and shape into a ball in your palm. Smoosh it into a pancake and add to skillet.
    • Cook about 3 minutes, until the bottoms are golden, and the cakes have set, being careful not to burn the bottoms. Then flip ‘em over, and continue cooking approx. another 2-3 minutes. (don't crowd the pancakes)
    • Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel. Adding more oil to the pan as needed, repeat until all the pancakes are cooked. If not serving immediately, these keep very well in a warm oven. Serve topped with dollops of sour cream and chives.

Nutritional Facts
    Amount Per pancake with topping
    Calories 74.9 Sugars 1.2 g Folate 6.3 %
    Total Fat 2.8 g Protein 2.9 g Iron 3.7 %
    Saturated Fat 1.4 g Vitamin A 13.9 % Magnesium 4.8 %
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g Vitamin B-12 1.9 % Manganese 6.5 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 g Vitamin B-6 6.1 % Niacin 2.6 %
    Cholesterol 34.6 mg Vitamin C 16.4 % Phosphorus 6.2 %
    Sodium 175.0 mg Vitamin D 0.9 % Riboflavin 5.5 %
    Potassium 266.7 mg Vitamin E 1.0 % Selenium 3.8 %
    Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g Calcium 3.9 % Thiamin 3.5 %
    Fiber 1.9 g Copper 3.7 % Zinc 2.3 %

pearlselby, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

More pickled squash
    Spicy Squash Refrigerator Pickles
    Ingredients:
    • 9 sprigs fresh cilantro
    • 3 large cloves garlic, halved
    • 3 tsp. mixed peppercorns
    • 1-1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
    • 3 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1-1/2 lbs. yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into thin rounds.
    • 1/3 c. thinly sliced sweet onion
    • 1-1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
    • 1-1/4 c. water
    • 2 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2-1/2 T. honey
    Directions:
    In a large glass jar or bowl that holds about 2 quarts, add the cilantro, garlic, peppercorns, coriander, red pepper flakes, zucchini, and onion. Set aside.

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring vinegar, water, salt, and honey to a boil. Pour hot mixture over contents in the jar, pressing down on the vegetables so that brine covers them completely. Let cool on the counter to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or 2 days for maximum flavor. Keeps in refrigerator for 2 months.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Basic Vegetable Fermentation Recipe

Wild Fermentation | Fermentation makes foods more nutritious, as well as delicious! :: Wild Fermentation

1 quart jar with a plastic lid (The acidity will corrode the metal jar lids)
    1/2T sea salt
    2 cups water

1) Mix sea salt and 2 cups of water together. Set aside and start add vegetables and herbs to jar.

Vegetables:
    Use any combination or single vegetable. Here is just a sample of what you can use:
    beets
    onions
    carrots
    cucumbers
    zucchini
    peppers
    cauliflower
    fresh green beans
    radishes
    broccoli
    kale
    garlic
    cabbage
    cabbage leaves for the top

Chop vegetables or shred depending on your preference. Typically cabbage and carrots can be shredded and layer in the jar. You can add fresh herbs to taste like:

fresh basil
    fresh tarragon
    fresh dill
    dried chili peppers
    crushed red pepper
    fresh mint

Chop herb selection and throw them in the jar. Leave a half inch of space at the top.

Finally pour your salt brine to cover all vegetables. Take a small cabbage leaf and press it over the vegetables to allow the water to float above it and cover the vegetables. Cover with a plastic lid. You don't need to have it too tight as you want some space for gases to release. Set your jars in your kitchen out of direct sunlight and allow to ferment for a week to ten days. You can taste test to see if they are sour enough for your liking. Once they are fermented, take the cabbage leaf out and discard it. Store in the refrigerator for several months. The longer it ferments the more sour the veggies.
    USING
    You can add your vegetables to many dishes. Fermented foods are so good for your digestive system, this is a great way to get them into your body.

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Whole Tomatoes Fermented in a Brine[​IMG]

Translated literally from Russian it would sound more like "salted tomatoes" but it is, in fact, tomatoes fermented in a brine. This condiment-type food is the way how Eastern-European people were preserving tomatoes for centuries. Also this is a second favorite accompaniment to a shot of vodka. Why second? Just because first one, hands down, is a pickle, of course, according to Russian drinking traditions. Even if you don't drink, fermented tomatoes is a great addition to any meal, just ask my husband about it - fermented tomatoes is one of his all-time favorite food.

What it is
    It is whole tomatoes kept in brine until they soften and acquire special sweet-and-sour briny tingling taste.

Variations
    Per your taste they can be more or less spicy. Traditionally dill added as a herb to a brine but other herbs, or even celery and peppers can be added also.

How it's served
    As a condiment it is goes very well with any more-or-less mild food. For example we like it with any type potato dishes or any meat, especially grilled one.

Some side comments
    - It may be acquired taste but as soon as you really got into it, you'll love this stuff. Eastern-European cuisine has a long list of traditional fermented dishes - from cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes to apples and watermelons. All of them are important part of everyday meal for us who come from Eastern Europe.

- Fermented tomatoes are at its best after about one week, after fermenting at a room temperature for 5 days and being in a fridge for a couple of days.

- Drink brine left from fermented tomatoes - it has balanced sweet and salty taste enriched with tomato, herb and garlic flavors. For centuries, in Russia, this brine was the best remedy for vodka-intoxicated bodies and was the first thing in a morning as an after-party drink. Fortunately it is not huge importance for us personally, we just enjoy tomatoes, and brine in a totally sober condition :)

How to store it
    It will keep in a fridge for a long time up to a few months.

Tips
    - Smaller size tomatoes fit perfectly for fermenting. Although sometimes I cut tomatoes in a half if they are on a large side. In this case they will start fermenting faster and already in 2-3 days jar can be transferred into a fridge.

- Best way to wash dill is to drop whole bunch into big pot with cold water and shake herb with your hand lightly - dirt and sand will fall on a bottom and all damaged leaves will float to a top. Pick bad leaves. Then get your herbs on a paper towel and leave it to dry a little bit. To store leftovers, wrap them in a dry paper towel, put in a plastic bag and place in a fridge - it will be ready for you and keep nicely for several days.

- I like to peel garlic this way - place separated cloves into small fold-in sandwich bag (no need for zip-bag!), twist the top and bang it several times off the counter or your husband (if he deserves it :); or rub bag between your palms. Garlic will release a bit of juice which will facilitate peeling. Now, just open bag, use knife to peel cloves (I still use knife because I like to cut off tiny woody end of clove). Get peels into the same bag and throw it away - nice and clean.

pearlselby, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

We make salsa by roasting the tomatoes (they peel easily when roasted) onion, jalepena pepper and garlic put in blender and is ready. We put extra in ziplock bags for freezing, next year I am going to freeze dry some to see if it will be as good, if so we can store more in a little space.

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Canning Jars

Great info on basic canning do's and don'ts

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. TnAndy
  11. JrOrtiz
  12. john316
  13. Jaybird
  14. Magdala_Buckley
  15. DKR
  16. Hillbilly549
  17. Big Ron
  18. DKR