Canning Meat

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Have you canned meat? Let’s talk about canning meat. Success, failures, tips and how you prepare. I read that someone put in a bay leaf per jar and it was a bit overwhelming. I see people have canned raw meat and put up youtube videos on the subject. I could be wrong but I think prepared meat would be better to can. I think chicken would be easier and more versatile but that is just a guess plus chicken is cheaper so it could be bought in bulk and canned. I have little freezer space so canning is the way. What is the oldest jar of canned meat you opened and ate?

2. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I would always advocate canning raw chicken over canning cooked chicken. It's easier and you get the broth from the chicken when you can it. It's far less expensive than professionally canned chicken and you can do it the way you like it. I don't know this for certain, but I'd guess it's no less safe to can meat raw than cooked because it does cook pretty thoroughly in the pressure cooker and the issues to worry about are the same. I'm not wording this well.
    As for tips, if you haven't canned meat before I would recommend you use the recipes directly from the Ball Canning book. If you don't follow the directions, you can end up with a can full of poison, and that's the last thing you need in an emergency.

Ganado, Zimmy, SB21 and 8 others like this.
  3. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I'm sorry to be turning into a chatty Cathy, but I thought of more to add. I usually find meat on sale for less bone in. You are able to can meat with the bones in it. I'm not certain about this, but I suspect if you can meat bone in, it will add calcium to the broth AND you can probably make more broth with the bones when you use the meat. I'd try it, in any case, especially in an emergency.

Ganado, Zimmy, SB21 and 6 others like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Bone in provides a higher quality product.

Zimmy, Motomom34, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  5. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

I have canned chicken, beef, ham and bacon. The oldest was 1 year and 3 months. Some of the bacon is coming up on 1 3/4-2 years. ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS look, smell anything that looks questionable get rid of it.
    Reheat/cook everything for 20 minutes or more. When I remove bone, fat and connective tissues, leave the chunks as big as you can get in the jar.

Zimmy, SB21, Seepalaces and 6 others like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

:D

Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have canned raw fish, raw chicken, raw bacon, and slightly cooked ground deer/pork sausage. I have ate 4 year old pressure canned bacon and 10 year old pressure canned chicken. No harm no foul fowl :)

Zimmy, SB21, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Don't know about meat but came across an old run down hunting camp and dug around and found a jar of canned peaches I cracked the lid it popped so I ate them they were the best peaches I ever ate but then again I was pretty hungry.

Zimmy, SB21, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I am going to get into canning(glass jars) myself. I discovered canned food just doesn't last. Cans I thought would keep me alive, when opened were unedible. Rusty cans, Chinese? Homemade Dehydrated food is also on my list.

SB21, Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have canned chicken, hamburger, pork roast, bacon and link sausage. I do not pre cook any of it. 90 minutes in a pressure cooker will cook anything. Pre cooking will make mush when you can it. I use only salt and water if I have to add liquid. Broth works too. I have eaten all of it 5 years later and it was fine. If it's bad you will know. Chicken in the best, then lean hamburger, 90/10. I usually can 40 pounds at a time in pint jars. I do not can anything with bones. Skin debone and cube the chicken. Bacon and sausage links work but are not my favorite. Cubed beef for chili, soup and stews would work fine. Trim all the fat well. It will go rancid first. If you can buy it in a can you can can it yourself. My grandmother canned everything she did not smoke.

11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Stopped by a local thrift store and scored a large pressure caner for $15.00.. Was asked what I was going to do with that.. Said can meat of course.

Zimmy, Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I have never canned anything , just meaning I know " nothing " about doing it , successfully . But I remember my grandmother having mason jars lining the shelves . But most of them never had the screw on portion of the lid on the jar , just the cap with the rubber seal. Thinking back , maybe this was an easy way to tell if the seal had popped and compromised the food. I remember the lids always being sunk in to show that the vacuum was still working. Do any of you do this with your canned goods ?

Seepalaces likes this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Once the jar has been through the pressure canner and cooled For 24 hours the ring is not necessary. It must only hold the lid in place during the processing. It is actually considered unsafe to leave the rings on. They can rust, mold can form under them and they can hold on a lid that is unsealed, has a weak seal or has a broken seal. Plus, it's cheaper when you don't have to buy a ring for every jar, just the number you need for one canning session.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Seepalaces and SB21 like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks for the reply. I’ve thought about trying to do some canning, may give it a shot later this year. A friend gave me a brand new pressure cooker so I figured it’s a good time to give it a go.

Seepalaces likes this.
  15. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the rings should be removed after canning - there is food ooze that can get into the threaded section of the jar - it'll mold and spoil - clean and store the rings against rusting - wipe the jars down well ....

Ganado and Seepalaces like this.
  16. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

mis-spoken? - you do know there's a difference between a pressure canner and a cooker ...

Seepalaces likes this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well , I do now. Just not sure what the difference is, but I will check. As I said, I’ve never tried it so I know nothing about it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Seepalaces likes this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I just checked and it is definetly a pressure cooker.
    Thank you , you may have just saved my life,,,,:ROFLMAO:

Seepalaces likes this.
  19. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Good info on that ring removal.

Seepalaces likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is very good info. Most canned jars that I see have the ring on. Not sure if my relations seal then wipe down and replace the ring or what. I will have to ask.

SB21 and Seepalaces like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. jefferson
  3. TnAndy
  4. Jaybird
  5. JC Refuge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. Big Ron
  9. DKR
  10. Ganado
  11. Thunder5Ranch