Canning Water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I can see this !!!
    WE DO filtered water pro 6 stage in glass car buoys of 19L /5usg jugs . We have many stored .
    Sloth

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think it is called overkill. :LOL: We are a society deathly afraid of germs, bacteria and illness so we go to extremes. I do wonder if in the old, old days if they boiled jars then boiled again with food.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If my grandmothers were the examples, no, they did not. (Nor did they raise cane with us when we got dirty and exposed to all those germs so we would have immunities, even if we didn't know it at the time.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Well, I poopooed it earlier, but in last minute preps for Hurricane Irma, I have been filling any extra containers available. Our power will go out, and it may impact city water too.
    I filled two new five-gallon cans, some large cooking pots, then remembered several Mason jars I have ready for use. So I have filled them too.
    Will fill bathtub and sinks too.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Take care Seawolf and glad you used some mason jars. Hopefully someone lurking also found canning water a good idea. We use mason jars daily for storing brown sugar and yesterday someone needed to borrow so milk so I sent them off with a mason jar full.

Good luck with the storm.

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I fill the big plastic garbage cans for flushing the toilets !!!

Gator 45/70, BTPost and Motomom34 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sloth has it . ,
    there are a number of uses water does not need to be pure, and setting aside the means to purify water is on top of the list because storing pure water will go flat and not taste good ,whether it is good or not . aerating it, however will improve taste.
    But for all the things you don't need pure water for it not worth wasting the purifying filtration process.
    Flushing the toilet is what you use used bath water for . Or water you would not attempt to run through your filtration through. (oil contaminants and such).
    Bath water need only chlorine and simple filtration your not consuming it.
    Under extended events the toilet should be taped shut and use a 5 gallon bucket and camp seat, or out house ,instead.
    If your area requires a pumping station to lift the sewage to continue it's trip to the sanitation plant, then it would be prudent to have a valve some where between the house and the street ,in the event power is off for an indefinite period of time and the sewer begins to back up in your own toilet. and other sewer drains. I have worked on the pumps that do this job, about 20 down in a hole .

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. TnAndy
  3. ColtCarbine
  4. duane
  5. Jaybird
  6. Ganado
  7. Sojourn
  8. DKR
  9. Big Ron
  10. deMolay
  11. Ganado