CAP & TRADE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clyde, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Cabinet members to testify on climate bill today
    Several hearings and meetings are scheduled for this week to help craft the climate bill in the Senate. The House passed its version last month. Today, Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar are to testify before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee and will attend a weekly climate meeting held by Democratic senators. The New York Times/Greenwire (7/6)

Climate bill may include compromises: With 60 votes needed in the Senate to pass major legislation, compromises in the energy bill on such issues as offshore drilling are being put on the table for discussion. Key senators are holding out their commitments as they represent interests in their states. Environmentalists say they may not like the outcome, given the number of giveaways the House allowed in its bill. The Washington Post (7/7)

Can you read between the lines here? No talk of killing this POS legislation, only compromise!
    ie; "there is a lot of opposition to this so let's water it down some."
    Then our elected leaders can say "I tried to get the more aggregious aspects of this cut out. I was working for you." Yeah right. More politics as usual. Bought and paid for Senators doing the will of thier bosses. Only the boss they answer to is not us.
    I absolutely will never again vote to re-elect anyone. Send them one time to Washington then get them the hell out!!

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Minuteman, we think alike. So much so that I must quote myself for a second time in the past couple weeks!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The first biggest problem is, the American People are being gang-raped by the pack of jackals in DC.
    The second biggest problem is...... they seem to like it. They keep electing the same criminals to high office. :rolleyes:

4. Minuteman

• Administration officials press Senate to act on climate bill
      Four top Obama administration officials asked senators to pass climate-change legislation they say would promote cleaner air and economic recovery. In testimony before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Energy Secretary Steven Chu described the melting polar ice cap, rising ocean levels and global warming. "Denial of the climate-change problem will not change our destiny," he said. The New York Times/Greenwire (7/7)

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm not so sure that climate change really exists outside of nature's own cycles. And I'm WAY less convinced humanity caused it or can do anything about it one way or another. We have certainly done a lot of less than ecologically friendly crap and buggered up the environment beyond reason. But climate is out of our control or ability to influence in any meaningful manner. Thus spake me, and maybe me only.

6. Minuteman

I just got this today from Campaign For Liberty. It has a lnk to contact your senators.

July 8, 2009

Dear Friend of Liberty,

When House leadership decided to rush through an over-1200 page Cap-and-Trade bill, your actions turned Cap-and-Trade from one of the administration's highest priorities into an issue that barely managed to pass the House of Representatives.

By a final vote of 219-212 (with eight Republicans
    switching sides to support the legislation), HR 2454 was sent to the Senate, where it could come up for debate and a vote at any time. But sources confirm Cap-and-Trade (which really should be called Tax-Kill-Jobs-and-Liberty-and-Trade), is in deep trouble in the Senate.

If you will keep the pressure up against this boondoggle, the Senate may not even vote on it before their August recess. (Click
    here to sign the petition to your senators insisting they cast every vote against Cap-and-Trade.)

With this legislation, the Obama administration is once again delivering its version of change -- change for the worse.

Change will come to your energy bills, as estimates place the eventual increase in annual fees in the thousands of dollars for the average American family.

Change will come to the way business is done, as even more of them decide to escape further regulation by moving overseas.

Change will come to individuals and families struggling during this latest economic crisis, as the additional costs of doing business force companies to lay off more workers while the price of heating and cooling a home skyrockets. The working poor and young families will be especially hard hit by this regressive, hidden tax hike.

Barack Obama has estimated the costs of this legislation to American taxpayers to be over 650 BILLION dollars over the next eight years, and that figure is no doubt just a fraction of the real cost.

Coming off the heels of a razor-thin vote in the House, and with outrage over spending increasing every day across the country, many Senators are already very nervous about supporting a bill creating so much controversy.

Thanks to your efforts, the administration and Senate leadership are facing an enormous hurdle. By continuing to keep up the pressure, we can stop the Cap-and-Tax threat and prevent the federal government from further crippling our economy and eroding our standard of living.

Click
    here[FONT=Courier
    New] to sign our online petition and urge your senators to stand up for their constituents by opposing this latest big government scheme.

And after you sign your petition, visit our [/FONT]Cap-and-Trade action page for information to call, write, and fax your Senator. Our action page also lists how your representative voted, and gives a sample letter to send him to either thank him for his opposition, or to express your disappointment and ask him to vote against similar legislation in the future.

With little time to take action, we very nearly defeated Cap-and-Trade in the House. Together, we can stop it in the Senate!

In Liberty,

[​IMG]
    John Tate
    President

P.S. Your senators need to hear from you!
    Sign our online petition and make it clear where you stand!

7. shelly.legate

shelly.legate Monkey+

It is a known fact that public schools only teach to the top 4o percent of the children. That means if your student is average they are missing out.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Shelly, I am actually surprised the fraction is that focused and that high in the range. I would have thought from personal observation that the middle third was the target. The top third is held back by the middle, and the bottom gets passed over (and promoted to avoid hurting their feelings.) Sad.

Hillclimber likes this.
  9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I agree with ghrit, they teach at the speed of the slowest. That is why the Indian and Asian children go to Kumon math after school.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7