Carbine picture thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Aug 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I always wanted a M1 carbine. But they are so expensive I never got one until a few years ago. So when my friend wanted to sell his carbine cheap so he could buy a motorcycle, or fix his motor cycle I know I had to jump on it.
    For the first few years it was just a boring wood stock carbine like every other one out there.
    Then I decided to upgrade.
    I got the synthetic M4 style stock for $100 from midwayusa.
    Then I started bayonet shopping, learned I needed a bayonet lug kit, that was cheap only $45 for a new WWII surplus lug.
    Lastly the icing on the cake the bayonet its self. I found a lot of ones that looked like junk or were cheap junk. I wanted a good one so I found a WWII bayonet that was in good shape with a scabbard. That was $135. All the decent ones started at $100.
    Best of all it still fits in the kaki canvas GI case.
    carbine.JPG

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My dad had one when I was a kid. Used to love to shoot it. Easy handling, light recoil, not the most powerful cartridge but had its uses. At one time Ruger chambered the .30 Carbine round in a single action revolver.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I hope you kept the wooden stock... if you plan on selling it in the future it is worth $2-$300 more with the original stock...

RightHand and sec_monkey like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I kept the wood stock.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got one of those Ruger single-six revolvers in .30 carbine, it is the most painfully loud revolver I have ever fired. I have several .30 carbines, they are fun and very reliable.

Witch Doctor 01 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am the lone person with lemon luck .
    I bought a universal .30 carbine and it had a terrible pattern .
    Thinking it was just the gun, I got a Ruger revolver, assuming that being a Ruger it would be significantly more accurate single 6 -.30 ,and it proved to be as inaccurate, I traded them both off for better guns . Best deal I made.
    If I cannot hit a pie plate with in 100' I don't keep the gun. its simply not worth it." I can do that with a sling shot." .30 carbine is not much better.

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A Universal .30 carbine is a poor knock-off of the original...at least as far as the receiver goes. Many of the other parts were GI issue/surplus, but that doesn't mean they were serviceable (within specs.)
    Go with the real deal or stay home would be my sincere advise to anyone looking to acquire one.

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here is a very good blog regarding the history of the ban on re-importation of firearms. Like many other obstructions, it started out with the best of intentions, the protection of the companies manufacturing firearms, but as often happens, the law has been perverted to work against its citizens rather than in their best interests.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/collectible-firearms-protection-act-matters/

sec_monkey, Meat, Brokor and 4 others like this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Ruger still makes a Blackhawk in .30 carbine. I been wanting one of these in the worst way. Been considering getting one with an parachute stock as a pdw.

10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

They shoot a big fireball and are pretty loud in the Blackhawk, but they're really fun to shoot. :D

Meat likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had one but was not accurate enough to keep so I traded it off for something else.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Was that a ruger black hawk or the carbine rifle?

13. Witch Doctor 01

If anyone is looking a .30 river blackhawk with a 7.5 barrel pm me. I know someone who wants to sell one

GOG likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It was a Ruger single action revolver.
    I had been told that the 30 carbine round was designed to tumble ,and the idea was to injure the enemy taking out 2 or 3 for the price of one. And the average shooting distance during that war was only about 20'-30' 50' on the outside.
    True or not, neither the universal 30 carbine and the Ruger .30 revolver were acceptable for hunting by my standards ,so I dumped them for something else.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Anecdotal Evidence.... AlaskaChick killed a 350# Black Bear, that was raiding her SmokeHouse, with a Single Shot, using our Universal 30M1 Carbine, loaded with Korean War, surplus Ammunition........ Nobody ever told her that this weapon wasn't appropriate, for KILLING Black Bears..... He is now a Rug, that we show visitors.... When we go Glass Recycling, out on the Dock, our shots are in the 50 - 75 Yd Ranges usually.... The 30M1 does as well as her Dan Wesson .357 with the 8" barrel installed.... Perfectly acceptable for Country Folks.....

Meat likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

The M-1 carbine was designed to replace the .45 1911 for officers and support troops... it enabled troops to provide medium range supporting fire (100-200 yards). was equal to a .357 magnum. It is capable of taking medium size game.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It must have been the ammo that soured me on M1
    I saw a lot of it tumble .
    Now I don't know what to think , so many of you have had good experiences with them.

18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

[worthless]

19. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

[​IMG]
    1944 Inland Manufacturing

Brokor likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Matei