Card skimmers at the pump...

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by DKR, Jul 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A new kind of higher tech thief - card skimmers. This video covers both hidden skimmers and those run by crooked employees.

End of video has some common sense precautions, like not paying at the pump....

This is another reason to eschew the so-called debit cards....

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Use credit never use debit at a point of sale.
    Cash would be best.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Best habit to get into is tp be checking your account regularly, because there is a lot more than this going on.

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  4. DKR

We have a CC tagged to only deliver any on-line ordered items to the house or PO Box - anything else should be denied.

If we do get 'hacked' - it is preemptive proof that we did not place the order... Thus when we refute the charge, we get no grief from the CC vendor.

Also - using the card in person is not proof against theft, as the video showed, chit-head employees can run a skimmer pretty fast...

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

ya should see what some online companies do with credit plus debit cards ..

this is a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge industry wide problem

Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Prepaid card for online and load as necessary.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Why credit but not debit? If either is stolen, my banking institutions cover them similarly. I have yet to pay anything, in the event of lost or stolen cards. Never had one skimmed before.

Maybe I have just been fortunately. But, only had 2 cards stolen over 2 decades. I have used both, all around the world.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Witch Doctor 01 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you run your debit card as debit and you punch in your pin number and your info gets skimmed and some one clones your be bit card goes to a bank and ATM withdraws cash your bank doesn't have to give it back.

This actually happens.

Credit card fraud happens all the time. You are not liable for unauthorized Purchases.

Idahoser and sec_monkey like this.
  10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Debit card allows direct access to your bank account. Bank will refund, but it's up to you to prove fraud with many banks....they don't care.

Credit card, you hold the power. They can't force you to pay if you claim fraud. US law says zero loss if you report the transaction in a timely manner....or $50 even if you wait a long time.

Idahoser and sec_monkey like this.
  11. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Good advice. Some I hadn't considered.

12. DKR

Debit card = bank calls the shots

Credit card= Federal law calls the shots. Not that would ever deal with bastards that run Well Fargo they have a long history of screwing their cust

Idahoser, Dont and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I see no purpose in ever running my debit card using a PIN when making a purchase. I have no idea why people even do that. No reason to do so, when you can swipe it through a reader as you would a credit card. At an ATM is the only place I ever need to enter my PIN. In my lifetime, I have never lost any money to an ATM withdraw mistake. We've had one ATM snatch the card, once. Went inside the bank and they sorted the issue for us. That was here in Cambodia. So, surely a bank would be helpful regarding even that, stateside?

Well then, gentlemen, I would suggest finding other banks or credit unions that rank their customers a bit higher on their priority list. Many years gone, I was responsible for up to $50 USD, if a card was stolen. But, for ages now, they cover 100% of any and all losses - on credit or debit cards. I have one particular investment institution that reimburses all foreign (domestic and overseas) bank and ATM fees, every month. And, they charge nothing to withdraw funds. I am not special. Anyone can open these accounts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    sec_monkey likes this.
  14. darriondoyle

darriondoyle Neophyte Monkey

Card skimmers at the pump are illicit devices installed on fuel dispensers, designed to steal credit card information from unsuspecting customers. These devices are often hidden inside the pump, making them hard to detect. When a customer swipes their card, the skimmer records the data, which can then be used for fraudulent transactions. Vigilance, using secure payment methods, and checking for any tampering can help protect against this threat.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2023
  15. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have first hand knowledge of how banks treat debit cards, I would never use a debit card for anything but ATMs. Have credit cards that give you good cash back and pay them off every month.

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

NEVER stick your credit card, debt card, or anything else you value into a slot that you aren't sure of!;) I attempted to purchase a soft drink from a vending machine in a hospital waiting room last year, and some guy in Nigeria made an online purchase from a company in India to the tune of about $300! I called the credit card company 15 minutes after I opened my statement and got the charge reversed! NEVER use a vending machine, gas pump, or ATM, just walk your lazy ass inside or do with out!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

This 100%. Especially buying shit online.

18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The exception being a pre-paid debt card! This limits your potential loss to the amount on the card...$100 at most!

mysterymet likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7