Carry piece problem solved Maybe - Ruger LCP review

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by ghrit, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm a scrawny olde pharte. Very early in my carry experience, it became obvious that a he man gun could NOT hide out anywhere on me without being either in the way or printing, no matter what I wear other than in the dead of winter. So, the search was on for something that might solve the problem. First things first, what caliber? Just because I have something that will take 38 specials (and can't hide it), a diligent hunt for a smaller gun turned up nothing that filled the bill in 38 spl. Nothing smaller than a 38 sized frame would do for sure and adequate stopping power, that ruled out 22, 25 and 32, leaving the marginal 380ACP to consider. I found reviews on Bersa, Sig, Keltec and others, but was not entranced with the size and weight (or price, for that matter) on any of them.

So up jumps Ruger with the LCP. Small (really small) light weight (really light) and in the minimum caliber, even if marginal. So one resides on my hip as this is pecked out.

So far, I've managed only 10 rounds for testing. (One FTE, 3rd round, likely limp wristing.) It hits on plates at 30 feet, that's all I can say about the accuracy at this point. What I can say is that it carries very well, and presents quickly from a Fobus paddle, strong or weak side. Sitting, walking, driving (car or tractor) no problems with rib digs as you get from a 1911 or similar he man guns.

The good:
    -Light
    -Small (!)
    -Six +1
    -No safety to remember or train for
    -No snag, it's all rounded

Downsides:
    -No hold open on last shot
    -Very LONG trigger pull, some stacking (two stage.) (I have scrawny paws, but they are medium length. I have to use the pad on my trigger finger or the end will be pinched between the trigger and frame. Worse, with the pad in the way, stroking to discharge won't happen.) This long pull serves as a safety of sorts. A very deliberate pull is needed.
    -Small has a downside, you can't get a full grip on it with the barrel lined up on the wrist bones, it takes an off center grip.
    -Sights? Right, they are there, but of debatable utility. I have a sneaking suspicion that "instinctive" or "point" shooting is going to be needed, even if I put some white out or fingernail polish on the blade and notch.

As small and light as it is, control could become an issue. This piece is surprisingly not overly comfy to shoot. Whether that is a downer or not is moot since it's intended to carry a lot and shoot a little. Practice is the answer and there is quite a bit of it I have yet to do as well as figure out the basic accuracy. (And to get more breakin done.) More when that happens.

P1011714.JPG P1011716.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

AAAAC121NW4AAAAAASxiww.

Get the wallet holster and carry in your back pocket.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
    Gator 45/70 and Guit_fishN like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am a little bigger than you, Ghrit, so I solved that issue with a custom made Shoulder Holster, that slings my Browning HiPower 9MM under my left arm, inside of my jacket, or suit coat. Pair of Magazines are slung under the right arm, as well. I designed enough extra leather into the system that as I get OLDER, and smaller, I can adjust this rig, to fit the changes. This is what works for "Me" when I find the need to "Carry"..... YMMV.....

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. ghrit

Thot that one over. Won't work in the driver's seat, and I'm pretty sure it'll get in the way of a mag change. But it would fill the hand better.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I carry one most places.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

The only thing I don't dig on the LCP is the fact that the slide doesn't lock to the rear after the last round is fired. I know, I know.... a lot of great combat weapons don't either, but the LCP is a newer design. I think that feature should be mandatory on every modern handgun.

You sure can't beat the size of em'.

I believe they have laser grips that would help with "mostly non-existent" sights. I think there is a "zombie" version too... saw it at Bass Pro yesterday:
    http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-lcp-zombie-slayer-380-acp-3721.aspx

7. ghrit

Yes, they do. I opted to not get them for a couple reasons. First, switched on, it advertises exactly where you are. Second, muzzle smoke blocks the laser, so it won't work for a quick second shot. That won't happen if you have a flashlight held out to the side that shows the target past the smoke. My opinion only, YMMV. (I haven't fired it at night yet, so can't tell how bad the smoke really is.)

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Or the flash from such a short barrel, is your shooting fairly Heavy Loadings....
    Some of those can cause your Night vision to get creamed, it your not squinting during the Trigger Pull...... ...... YMMV....

9. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Ahhh.. Brings a tear to my eye. The thought of knowing so many of the "good guys" are carrying these days. I truly do sleep better at night know that.
    I carry a 3.5" 1911 now, no matter what I'm wearing, but I used to ( and still do sometimes when it's real hot ) carry a Kel Tec P32. I can hide that thing anywhere. They didn't have the LCP when I got it, or I might have that.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I agree. That's the main reason I went with the S&W Bodyguard. It was tough finding one....not sure about the scarcity of the Ruger, but every dealer I went to said he couldn't keep the Bodyguards on the shelf.

11. ghrit

R-P hollow points so far. Daylight did not show a wildly bad flash, but for night, I acknowledge the possibility and expect it. Squinting or blinking is akin to a flinch. After I get used to the trigger, that could be less of a problem with timing the discharge. All is TBD there, and of course the flashlight will help a bit with it.

BTPost likes this.
  12. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

My experience with the LCP

I carried one of these in Southern Texas since I usually wore light clothing without a lot of concealment possibilities for large handguns. I assumed likely targets would also be lightly clothed, but I had a combination of ammo loaded just in case of biker jackets, fat bad guys, etc.

I used Hornady Critical Defense (chambered and the first 2 in the mag) followed by hardcast in the rest of the mag. I cannot remember which brand of hardcast I was using. I never had to fire it in defense, but I was confident it would serve me well.

P.S. I got rid of it when I moved to Washington, correctly assuming I could conceal something larger on a regular basis.

SS

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I am not carrying a .45, I have one of the Kel-Tec's in my pocket. It is almost exactly the same size as the little Ruger. I have been contemplating picking up one of the LC9s. They are not much bigger at all and fit in a pocket pretty well I imagine.

The more of us that carry the better. Lots depend on us.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I looked at the Bodyguard too. I heard some bad things in terms of reliability. I wondered if that wasn't just some early hiccup stories that were repeated, but wasn't willing to take a bet. How has yours been? Accuracy?

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

What happens when you run into a fat biker? ;)

16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Throw a colbeer or two at us and it gives you time to E&E.

ghrit, Sapper John and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  17. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I haven't had any issues. Of course, I haven't done anything crazy with them either. Accuracy has been fine for its intended purpose...laser is OK (and adjustable).

18. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I carry one in my right front pocket in a wallet holster. It has the laser and pie-plates are dead at 30+ feet. Might want to take a peek at the Ruger LCR too, though Ghrit. They are .38 special and print no bigger than the LCP.

19. ghrit

I did take a squint at it. It's a bit fatter and heavier, tho' still in the "right" size and weight range. The limitation is the only 5 shots. If the LCP shows a weakness I can't live with, I'll look at it again.

BTW, I read somewhere that the wallet holsters are frowned upon for some reason. Can't remember why or where.

20. ghrit

OK, an update now that I've had a chance to send some rounds down range. It is clearly intended for carry a lot shoot little, it can be harsh. That said, it needs practice to master the long pull, and grip is exceedingly important to avoid getting the tip of the trigger finger pinched between the back of the trigger and rear of the trigger guard. I had two FTF today, not sure if I should attribute that to low quality ammo (Tula hard ball) or me, or a cruddy bolt, but both rounds went off on a second strike. Mags were faultless, and no feeding problems.

I'll be attending to the bolt, cleaning and lubing, then going round and round on the range again. So far, no accuracy testing done, because I don't intend to use this Tula stuff for carry, just for practice and to continue breakin.

ETA: Carry ammo accuracy testing is on the program. First up is Blazer hollow points, second is Hornady Critical Defense. Whatever else, the choice will be made depending solely on how close to POI they hit. Seems like most of what's available is in the 90 grain range.

Al, FWIW, the slide hold open is snag free like the rest of it, and doesn't stand proud enough to operate easily. I have to use a fingernail, it is that small, and the mag release isn't all that big either. Nobody is going to win a race changing mags with this one. Mags do drop free on release, a good thing.

[boozingbuddies]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7