Cars In Ditches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

The boy is plowing snow like Pops did years ago. (Well de-icing and etc etc to start) I really liked plowing snow in the 90’s. You had heat, a radio and pretty much freedom to plow and sand all of the friend’s and family’s roads and streets.

2. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Spring break, 1979. While stopped to chain up I had a semi stop behind me to do the same thing. We chatted a bit, then I continued on. He caught and passed me, then I passed him while he stopped to drop his chains. He caught up and stopped as I was dropping mine, and we discussed how it looked like we could finally get some speed up, while kicking his toe down onto the ice-free pavement.

I was driving a 1972 Mazda RX-2; he was driving a freight truck. I had just got up to 55 on Hwy 97 when I hit the black ice. Saw that coming, didn't you? I didn't. I kept my foot off the brake and used all four lanes (two each direction), but I stayed on pavement pointed kinda/sorta mostly north. Last thing I remembered seeing was a small pickup coming toward me (in his lane), and the next thing I know I'm stopped on the southbound shoulder, over the white line, with three wheels still on asphalt and the fourth in the gravel. Still pointed northish. I waved to the trucker as he went past. I caught up with him again at a coffee shop an hour or so later, holding my speed to only 45. What would normally take about four and a half to five hours took seven and a half. Longest solo drive of my life, time-wise.

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Long as your son is OK, to heck with the car. They can be replaced.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Just another caravan of people leaving California because there is too much crime, restrictions, crap filled streets and high taxes. When they get where they are going they will immediately vote to turn their new heaven into San Francisco. Just let the snow plow cover them up until spring then bring in the backhoes when the ground is workable.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

His AirBag deployed, and pinned him in the vehicle, along with his SeatBelt… He still made it to his job and pulled his whole Shift, then got a lift back home and started looking for a replacement Ride… Seams like his Guardian Angle was with him that night…

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

How's the EV's doing in the sneaux ?

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, CraftyMofo and 3 others like this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Been seeing more ditch runners with increasing frequency and not just on snow and ice........ a light rain that brings the road grime and oil to the surface is enough to do the trick. Why more now than 5 years ago and more 5 years ago than 10 years ago? I believe it is people are focused on everything but their driving, in particular those damn cell phone. Can pretty much track the rise in single vehicle accidents with the rise of the all mighty cell phone. The more capability those phones get the less people seem to have from what I see.

Motomom34, Dunerunner, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I love scaring the Hell out of texters driving, 500.00 fine here if you get caught texting and driving.
    I let them get next to me and I lay on the horn like they are about to wreck!!!
    I've had more than one almost crap his step-ins !

9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

In 1969 I was stationed at Rome NY and drove down to LI (my home) for the week end. Left Sunday to drive back to base and at Albany NY hit a snowstorm so bad they weren't even out plowing but I had to get back to base or be AWOL. Only way I could tell where the road was the snow markers on the side. I drove like 10 miles an hour it was so bad. Guy comes flying past me towing a trailer and about 5 miles up the road I could barely see him off in a ditch. Just made it back to base in time to change in to my fatigues and report of duty. Young and stupid and girlfriend was back home

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  10. BTPost

I wonder how all this "Autonomous Car, Lane Driving Crap" they are trying top sell on every New Vehicle, is effected by winter Driving? Seems to my mind it should be turned OFF if the roadway isn't dry and bare......

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Tires aren't as readily available as they use to be.
    This year was the buy replacement tires at the VT compound for most of the vehicles.
    Not in stock. Had to order and wait two weeks to get an appointment and for the tires to get shipped from one warehouse to another and then to the store.
    Oh, and the prices were up considerably since the last go round ... like 60% higher.
    I've seen plenty of cars running tires way worse than these below in parking lots.
    baldshoes.
    Well maybe not as bad as the second tire but seen some with the belts showing through. Running way beyond useful limit and throw anything on the pavement surface and you are in the ditch.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Anyone running those maypops deserves a undercarriage ditch inspection !

Thunder5Ranch, Meat, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

bald tires
    And he wanted someone to pull him out , That POS would break apart
    Sloth

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Hence the need for self-driving cars! That way something will be paying attention to the road!

Alf60, Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That would only make things worse . I say let the trusting souls meet their demise by trusting that AI crap ,, get these people back to being responsible for themselves and their livelyhood .
    Stupid people don't trust other people,,, but they're gonna trust a freeking machine to transport their worthless ass safely around the country.
    Go ahead ,, trust your stupid machines,, we can start doing like they do in India,, put little brick monuments on the side of the road for dumbasses that can't take responsibility for their own lives.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Lots of problems with self driving anything. Technology is great, until it isn't.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

18. BTPost

Anyone who has ever driven a Tracked Vehicle on Ice, knows, "You don't stop the tracks, you drive into the skid toward UpHill... and Pray for the best outcome..."

SB21, Thunder5Ranch, Meat and 2 others like this.
  19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

cover the lines with leaves, snow, sand or how about roads without lines. Will the car just stop and say 'Nope' or careen off into the bush/field/ditch.

Yeah I write software and the two products i won't touch is flight control and life support systems. And there is a good reason, I know the process and I don't want to have the chance of putting the bug in there .. ever.

Meat, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Ya'll bought memories with this one. When we got snow in central NC, you got your girlfriend in the 4wd (78 F150), threw a chain in the back and rode around all day pulling people out of ditches. A few times I volunteered to pick up doctors and take them to the hospital. We never feared snow on the roads but went out and had a hell of a time playing in it. I never put it in the ditch and I attribute that to doing stupid stuff in it and gaining experience as a result.
    A few years ago we had a bad ice storm hit here in SC, and I was 2 hours from home in a loaded Sprinter van and worked too long, not knowing it was far worse to the East where I was headed. I made it home just 15 minutes longer than usual, thanks to the light snow on the ice giving me traction. I even passed a state trooper and I think he was trying to catch up to me but couldn't (He had his blue lights on even before I got to him, I think to slow traffic maybe).
    The only time I ever had trouble was in a 72 Mustang with G60-15s on the back. It went like a snowcat as long as it was up on top of the snow, so girlfriend and I went to visit the parents and check on them 12 miles out in the county. While we were there the temp dropped and the snow crusted on top, and now those big wide tires had zero traction. I borrowed my Dads little Mazda pick-up and went home, came back the next day and got the Mustang. On the way home, playing as usual, I got sideways and the back wheels dropped off the pavement, and just by luck, throttle, and braking I got it back up on the road and continued home.
    I'm one of the rare folks that enjoys driving in it, but the population increase means there are too many idiots out there to have fun anymore. It's a pain to have to watch out for them and takes the fun out of 4 wheel drifting at 60 mph.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. Modus Operandi
  3. DKR
  4. oldman11
  5. Meat
  6. hot diggity
  7. HK_User
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. BTPost
  10. oil pan 4
  11. arleigh