Cast iron cookware

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by beast, May 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

Would you place the cast iron piece in a plastic container and fill with vinegar? My husband's grill grates need serious attention so I need to try this.

Can I use the ACV from the regular grocery store (like Heinz) or does it need to be something like Bragg's - all natural and with the "mother"?

I have several ci pieces but the only one I use almost daily is the Lodge round griddle. The others are starting to rust.

Everytime I try to cook cornbread in the cast iron it tastes like metal. It has a great crust though! But even if I remove it almost immediately I can't seem to avoid that taste. Does this mean the pans aren't seasoned enough?

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

i soak all my iron in a 5 gallon plastic bucket
    you may need something bigger
    plastic works good cuz it isnt using up the vinegars power
    if your pand are rusting or taste strongly of iron
    no, you dont have them seasoned enuff
    there is always a slight taste of iron, its actually good for you

3. wags_01

wags_01 Monkey+

If your pans are rusting, they definitely aren't seasoned enough.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seems like pots with deep sides (kettles and dutch ovens) get poorly seasoned on the sides, most of the time it's forgotten. And, if done on the stove top rather than the oven, the top edges don't get hot enough for a proper cure.

One thing I've found that helps keep the metal taste down is air them out for a day or so ahead of use. 'Course, if you store them with the tops off, even in a cupboard, it's less of a problem.

5. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

Thank you!!

I just wanted to clarify that I'm *not* baking in a rusty pan. But I do think that it's not seasoned enough.

What about the vinegar? Regular store bought ACV? Or the health food store kind?

Rene'

6. beast

beast backwoodsman

i use either storebought or homemade
    homemade i dillute

7. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

Can I reuse the vinegar for other ci items?

8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Not really...you'll understand after you do your first item...

KAS likes this.
  9. beast

beast backwoodsman

it may still disinfect a floor
    but beyond that i dont think so

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I may add the amount of rust left behind in it may re-stain your floor a nice shade of orange.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  11. beast

beast backwoodsman

may? more like WILL...lol

12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

If you are cooking over an open fire cleaning is easy. Just put some water in the pan then add some ash from the fire. Let it simmer for a while then wipe it out. Rinse it out with fresh water and then put it back over the fire to dry.

BWM

13. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

If you know anyone who can crochet, and are interested, last year I created a free pattern for cast iron handle covers that work really well. I don't cook over an open fire, but I do leave mine on when I'm cooking on the stove, or I slip the cover on when removing the pan from the oven.

Cast Iron Handle Covers

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

We have moved to strictly cast iron, stainless steel, ceramic, or glass.

Aluminum is terrible for you and we now hear that teflon is.... ugh.

I will add that breakfast has never been better in my little family.

15. cranky1

cranky1 Monkey++

if you have a self clean oven just put your ironware in when you clean the oven. re-season with oil after. or if you are a weldor just heat it up red hot with a big rosebud. cheers.

16. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I use lye for soaking off the black crud on old skillets.Found a Griswold # 4 under years of crud on a $1.50 skillet from a yard sale.Wonder if vinegar would take off that black crud?

17. ghrit

No, but steel wool will. And, if rubbed just enough to take the crud off, re-seasoning may not be needed. (I use a putty knife on the big chunks.)

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

19. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Steel wool and putty knives are why I started using lye.It does the work while I'm off doing something else.I'm talking about the burned on crud on the outside,by the way.

20. ghrit

Outsides get bad, out would come the wire wheel. So far, that hasn't happened, but I've spent a few hours working over the insides. (Mine were the rough finishes, didn't like them at all well until I spent a LOT of hours rubbing with a coarse stone. Still not as smooth as I would like. (Wagner, for reference, couldn't find old time smoothies.)

Lye on the inside doesn't strike me as a good thing.

1. Oddcaliber
  2. natshare
  3. natshare
  4. Witch Doctor 01
  5. Motomom34
  6. William Antrum
  7. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7