cast iron is healthier

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by beast, Oct 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

Got a used dutch oven and frying pan at a garage sale this summer for $5 each. Problem is they are rusty. Could I sand blast them to start over with a new seasoning?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I don't see why not. After they're all shiny, do an full reseason

3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

4. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Just do what Falcon linked too. Only time cast iron cookware is no good is when it's cracked.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Get the right guy with the right skills, and it can be welded. Pricy, but works well.

Falcon15 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

Thanks for the link, but these things are bad. They were partialy burried in her back yard and left out for years. It would be a lot less work to fire up the compressor and pull a trigger. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't ruin them.

7. Falcon15

You'll pebble the surface pretty bad, making it a real PITA to season and clean. You may want to take a wire wheel to it after.

8. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

I could see salvaging a heirloom piece that way just for the sake of saving it, but wouldn't a weld screw up the even heat distribution?

9. ghrit

Maybe, but not enough to worry about. There is a real trick to successfully welding CI, from matching the weld rod to the piece to the heating process. CI is no where near as tolerant of ham handed welders as steel, or even aluminum. If not done right, the piece will crack again from residual stresses.

I gotta say, I've seen it done both the right way and the wrong way, and I can't do it myself.

Falcon15 and BTPost like this.
  10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Cast iron cookward is one of the few things in life that never wears out or gets old and some of the stuff actually goes up in value.
    Fortuniately my xwife didnt like using and they were to heavey for her to tot off.

If I BBQ I generally thow a pot on the grill when Im done cooking. Just wipe a thin coat of oil and that keeps eveythhing seasoned without much fuss. Also put some in your oven if your baking and have room.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

I wonder if the wire wheel could just do the entire clean-up.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I saw really bad nasty stove CI burners cleaned in a strange way...
    Put them on a piece of newspaper inside of a black plastic trash bag....pour in some straight ammonia, (not the sudsy type I was told) then tie it closed and leave it in the sun. The grease dissolves and runs off, leaving very clean CI pieces! If it worked on those, it should work on most CI parts...?

larryinalabama likes this.
  13. Kannonman

Kannonman Monkey+

They say that when Louis & Clark and their group came back from the West they only things that everybody wanted to keep were their guns and their dutch ovens. I've recently started using CI again but I have to admit, I don't understand all the fussing over seasoning. The one I bought said pre-seasoned... so I didn't worry too much, made some bacon and eggs, actually the wife does about twice a week or so for me for breakfast and I make something in it for dinner every other week or so and the rest of the time the pan just sits in my stove, even when we make a pizza. In other words, i haven't done anything to it and I don't see any problems with it, no rusting or anthing, is it going to start rusting if I don't season it or something?

14. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

Not if you don't leave it sitting in water or especially tomatoe sauce in my experience. If your cooking bacon or other greasy foods in it a lot you should be fine.

dragonfly likes this.
  15. beast

beast backwoodsman

if you wash it at all or let it suck moisture out of the air it will rust
    its cold iron, humidity will condense on it and cause rust
    i learned how to care for my cast iron from my parents and grandparents
    whose cast iron cookware was passed down several generations
    no rusting, no pitting, if you actually scour it clean it looks brand new
    they didnt use olive oil or corn oil, no peanut oil or any other substitutes
    always bacon grease
    now you guys and your better cheaper easier ways of doing it and saving time and such, let me know when your pans are over 100 years old if they still look brand new
    then ill be impressed

16. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I do not see how cooking food in cast iron is better than cooking in stainless steel cookware. I can see it being better than Teflon, we got rid of the Teflon cookware years ago. I've eaten a lot of food cooked in cast iron but prefer the stainless.

17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Women who require iron supplments as part of their diet, often do not need them when cooking on cast iron.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  18. ghrit

"Better" is an often sung song about CI. It is no healthier than anything else (allowing for those that consider Teflon as bad) but it heats more evenly than anything else. That said, I use CI almost exclusively 'cause I like it. Your preferences are yours, no problem that I can see. (I have yet to meet a "non-stick" surface that I like for anything.)

ColtCarbine likes this.
  19. Falcon15

1. Oddcaliber
  2. natshare
  3. natshare
  4. Witch Doctor 01
  5. Motomom34
  6. William Antrum
  7. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7