Cast iron or stainless?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Oddcaliber, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

While making dinner going through my cookware noticed that I have no stainless Steel . Do have a lot of cast iron and cheap aluminum. What's your favorite cookware?

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'd have to say the Cast Iron. That's my vote anyway.

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I prefer cooking with well seasoned cast iron. The temperature remains much more consistant.

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Love cast iron fry pans and dutch ovens, found nothing that will beat the old stainless Revere pots and pans with the copper bottom or stainless with a copper layer on the bottom and then stainless again, much easier to make soup in and clean, or to boil water or steam with, never found a wok that beat the old hand hammered carbon steel. All of our cooking pots and pans have been used 60 years or more and still are in good shape, some of them may well be over 100 years old.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Aluminum cookware is, well, cheap. CI and SS are the choices here.

chelloveck, Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Cast is all I use both at home and prof. with the exception of sauce pans and stock pots, those are heavy gauge stainless. World of difference in a steak seared on cast VS AL or SS.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We use Cast Iron for Bacon, Eggs, and sausages... We use Stainless Copper Bottom Pots, for other Cooking, and Stainless Steel teflon Coated, Frying Pans, for Eggs, and has Hash Browns....

Gator 45/70, ghrit and Oddcaliber like this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Old, smooth, well seasoned cast iron is the only thing I cook in.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have cast iron and what was supposed to be good green cookware but it is turning out to be cheap aluminum pans. I have been looking for good sauce pans but no clue what to get and what will last like the cast iron.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Lodge is da bomb for cast iron! Griswold is excellent to if you can it.

11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here & many different types , crapes pans , double boilers , . just bought the wife strainers , all 316 SS from 3" to 13" .
    We / I buy quality for the treats me gets

Sloth

Oddcaliber likes this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Stainless is my preference for general cooking, but I have both aluminum and some cast iron.
    Depends on what I am cooking.

Oddcaliber and chelloveck like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Cast iron and heavy anodized aluminum (Caphalon).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Oddcaliber likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cast, First and foremost

Don't think I own aluminum?

If I did I would use it too scoop turds out of my drain field.

15. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Food Network brand aluminum nonstick pots and pans are the best I have used. Medium weight, nice stay cool handles and nonstick that truly is nonstick. Love my set.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  16. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Chan uses stainless and aluminum, as it is all we can get here. However, I'm planning a trip over to Thailand, to locate some quality cast iron cookware for her. I know she wants some. With her cooking skills, cast will make her meals turn out even better, if that is possible?

Zimmy and Oddcaliber like this.
  17. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I'll let Chan know there is another use for some of her present cookware. :D :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Mostly cast iron and stainless steel...I have a ceramic tajine for some cooking, as well as clay pots. Much depends on what methods and techniques I am using, and in which cooking environment.

I also have a steam boat.....[​IMG]
    stainless steel.

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and duane like this.
  19. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Cast Iron & enameled Cast iron (le crusset) here.
    Pots are stainless steel with copper bases.
    Hate aluminum. you couldent pay me to use the d*** stuff.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Health Risks of Cooking in Aluminum

…………..In the 1970s, a Canadian researcher published a study stating that he had found high levels of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. Since then, the research has gone back and forth on the possible connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's. …………..

……….People with kidney problems may have difficulty removing excess aluminum from their bodies, so it builds up over time, which can lead to bone and brain disorders. Aluminum, however, has not been proven to cause cancer…………..

………..Prevention

To minimize the amount of aluminum that dissolves into your food from cookware, avoid cooking acidic foods like tomatoes and rhubarb in aluminum pans. Don't store leftovers in aluminum, because the longer the food sits, the more aluminum it can absorb from the pan. Since more aluminum will dissolve out of old, pitted and worn pans, throw away your aging aluminum cookware. When you replace your old pans, consider upgrading to anodized aluminum pans.

…………...Alternatives

Aluminum pans are lightweight and inexpensive, which makes them a great choice for people just setting up a kitchen or for camping. Other frequently used cooking pan materials include copper, iron, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, ceramic or glass. Copper and stainless steel still carry some risk of metal transfer into food. The hard coating on anodized aluminum reduces the amount of aluminum that dissolves into food, making it a good choice. If you'd like to get an added health benefit from pan-to-food transfer, consider using cast-iron cookware; doing so can provide close to 20 percent of your recommended daily allowance of this blood-building metal.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. chelloveck
  3. DKR
  4. natshare
  5. natshare
  6. Witch Doctor 01
  7. Motomom34
  8. William Antrum
  9. beast
  10. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary