Castle build

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Maxflax, Nov 14, 2014.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

So no pigs at the castle, eh? No matter, dietary considerations come after it's built, eh?

2. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

No pigs. We will raise turkeys, chickens, at least one mini dairy cow, and we may raise organic beef

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wabbits are "Good Eating".... and if a few "get loose" into the surrounding woods, you can just walk out and Bag Supper, at you leisure, and not have to worry about feeding them, or the like.... Makes for Good Target Practice, for the Kids, or GrandKids, and teaches Hunting Technique, at the same time.... Wabbits grow wild in that country, as they have few predators, to worry about.....

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Maxflax

I just bought (for 85 bucks!) 1000 feet of intercom wire, a bucket full of nails, drywall screws, painters tape, sheetrock fiberglass tape I use it in shower tile installs on the Wonderboard corners, two steel wallboard spatulas, a full roll of light gauge romex, (for exterior 110V lights) and a large box of ABS and PVC fittings, drains, etc. Got it from a contractor who went out of biz, he also has a room full of stuff I haven't seen yet, but will :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. BTPost

You might want to look around for a 1000' Box of CAT5 Telco wire.... to put into the Walls of many of the rooms, and going back to the Comm Closet.... You can NEVER have enough TelcoWire in a Home... It is kind of like Outlets, One can NEVER have to many..... and retrofitting is a Total PITA....

VisuTrac likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I might now a guy that has a bunch of Cat 5..... ;)

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And it is more secure than a home wireless network.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There are pragmatic reasons for keeping pigs, even if one dislikes them and chooses not to partake of porcine flesh.

1. Pigs are good at tractoring ground for cultivation, breaking up the soil, and manuring the ground at the same time as suppressing weeds. Porkers can make good use of windfall fruit and nuts, and glean grain from the ground from harvested fields.

2. Even if you personally find pork flesh distasteful, and against your faith's dietary laws, the meat raised can be a valuable revenue raiser and trade commodity to be bargained with those who have fewer concerns about eating pork flesh.

3. Porkers are a good adjunct to dairy production, utilising surplus milk.

4. There are a number of non-edible byproducts rendered from pigs that may have utility in a self reliance economy

[​IMG]

Raising Pigs for Pork, Plowing and More - Sustainable Farming - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  9. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

ummm pork. pork chops, bacon, ham, cube pork with red chili over mash potatoes, pork roast, pulled pork, bbq ribs, fried pork skins, green chili stew with pork, bread pork cutlets, pork tenderloin. Your build is a dream home for me. I look forward to living vicariously through your posts. Good luck and best wishes

10. Maxflax

Thread hijack NO!!

11. Maxflax

Let me know, I'm looking for it

12. BTPost

Sounds like a FaceMeet is in order.....

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Maxflax

In the works!

14. Maxflax

I just scored a Steele 1000 watt 2 stroke generator, new for 75 bucks. A new pedestal sink for 90 bucks

And about 2K worth of hand tools, new plumbing and electrical fittings and supplies, 50+ lbs of nails, a 35 lb box of 6 inch galvanized bolts (for mounting positions for shelves, cabinets and such in the ICF), kitchen oven fan, outdoor electrical control box, large caulk gun, 4 foot high outdoor faucet set probably the biggest score in that lot were new 10 inch and 5 inch Stanley planers (190 and 105 bucks ea) all for 150 bucks. All new!

There's a lot more, need a trailer next time [OO]

kellory likes this.
  15. Maxflax

Just scored 6 large packs of commercial epoxy grout system, 6 bags of setting mortar, and a 5 gallon bucket of commercial waterproofing for concrete/tile installations. Great price and he's giving me more free grout goodies as well, this week!

EDIT: Last night I bought one of these and 10K Hurriquake and 5K (a bit longer nails for t joints) framing nails. The seller I mentioned in the last post has a mostly full box of the Hurriquake nails I'll get cheep, so I'm set for nails !

BOSTITCH F21PL Round Head 1-1/2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Positive Placement Tip and Magnesium Housing - Power Nailers - Amazon.com

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  16. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

This thread is very helpful to me, I don't want to build a castle, just a stone cottage, but it's the same principle of working with stone.

Maxflax likes this.
  17. Maxflax

I'm about to go pick up 14 knotty alder doors for 10 cents on the dollar.. new. They are 8 feet tall solid alder, 10 for the kitchen cabinets and 4 of them for double entry door sets. I'll use my own alder off my land to complete the cabinets..

18. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Maxflax likes this.
  19. Maxflax

Thanks, I ended up with 15 of them for 60 bucks each.. 6 @ 28 inches by 8 feet, 9 @ 32 inches by 8 feet. At most 25% of retail :eek:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7