Cat Injury at my house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Sep 16, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

One of the cats was bolting around the house and got the very tip of his tail under my daughters foot on his way by her. This was last night.

I heard the gasp from my wife and ran upstairs to see what happenned. Thats when I saw the blood splatters on the walls and floor. I small tuft of hair was on the floor.

I picked it up, (Cat had finished his dash for the kitty door), and felt about an inch of tail meat in the hair. No bones. I grabbed his brothers tail and felt how much the skin part extended beyond the bone part. About an Inch and a half.

I went outside and found the injured cat "Butch". He was just walking around like nothing happened. I brought him in and he ate some food and acted normal.

Today, He seems fine with a small amount of crust on his tail. It doesn't look to me like he even knows anything happened back there. He won't let me part the hair to make sure there is no bone poking out though.

Anyone know if the end of a Cats tail has nerve endings? I'll keep an eye on it and take him in if it starts looking worse. I googled it last night and read a story where a similair injury had happened and the cat proceeded to eat about 6" of the rest of his tail, before the vet had to amputate it.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yes, they do have feeling back there. If you take a non-injured cat's tail and put it inside your fist so you can keep it straight and then take your thumb and press down on the tip of the tail like a pressure switch, they will start getting cranky, which is the final sign before they turn around and shred your hand.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Get the garden shears and wack off some of it.:eek:

4. melbo

Uh Oh. WIfe on the phone with the All Night Clinic. Need to cut the whole thing off it seems.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Are we talking from experience?????:D

6. Bear

Now you'll have a Bobcat.... :)

7. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yep, have a dad that used to hate cats. Of course, as a small boy, had to try it.

Melbo, keep the tail and hang it on your rear view mirror, kinda like a squirrel tail! Should look really cool!

8. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

sounds like you are about to have a nice 150.00 cat tail by the time the vet gets done with it. For that cost I'd make sure I got the tail back and hang it somwhere hehehheeh. Seriously hope that cat makes it. I'm not a cat person by any chance but I hate to hear about any animal having a mishap like that. On the other hand a .22 is real cheap.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Told ya to get out the garden shears.:unsure:

10. melbo

He's at the 24/7 animal hospital getting a Bob Job right now.

Poor little guy.
    [violin]

11. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Loriania Bobbit hasn't become a vet has she????? So whats the total cost going to be on this lil bob job?
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

12. Bear

Tell me again why he lost a tip and then had to cut it all off?.....

Sheesh... I know they have 9 lives and all but.... ummm....

If every time I got tip of something on me cut, smashed or ground off... I had to cut the rest of it off.... :eek: well...

We just won't go there.... :D

13. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Poor little guy......:(

How's your daughter doing thru all this??

Just tell everyone he's a Manx..Smartest cat I ever had! He used the toilet as his litter box...I tried teaching him to flush but he never quite got that part right....

KC looked just like this....But I had an orange tabby one too..

[​IMG]

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Somewhere or another, I came across a reciepe for "Cat-tail Soup"..it was on one of these survival boards. :rolleyes:

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[bestpost]

16. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Mrs. Melbo must be all worked up over this. You are a good man, Melbo. Misha had her tail docked at 3 days, but wow....that is gonna hurt like a )(*&)(*)(*)(*)

Just another reason most of you would want to visit Melbo and his Cat Zoo. They got all kinds of them there. Now, Butch will have a new name.....Stumpy. Afterall, all the cats have about 8 different names which make one think there are about 100 cats that live with him.

17. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OMG. That picture is identical to our old cat "Grey". I am not much of a cat person but that cat was more "panther" than house cat. If I can ever find another just like him I will not hesitate to buy him. That cat was the ultimate hunter, killer, and just plain cool. Manx cats have one master, everyone is their servant, and they "might" tolerate them. R.I.P. Old Grey.

18. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

KC was , hands down, the best cat I ever had!

I swear that cat had a sense of humor.....and the best mouser I ever had!

Not to mention, he loved, loved, LOVED........Me! :D

He was an abandoned liquor store cat....only a few months old when I got him.....(On Folly , off the Carolina Coast?)

He lived another 14 and 1/2 yrs after I got him....God I miss that cat...

You're right EL...they are the best!

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Grey was a not a mouser, but a killer. Rabbits, snakes, mice, etc. Once he caught a huge rat and wanted to bring it in the house, but my wife stopped him at the door. Then my young daughter proceeded to give us the play by play looking through the window as he ate it. I thought about neutering him, but taking away his "Tom-hood" would have changed him, at least in my mind. I wanted him to enjoy all of the hunting, [do-it] ing, [bedtime] ing, [fight2], and killing that was his life.

20. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

CRC, you may be lucky the cat never got the hang of flushing. I have known of a couple of folks who got their cats to use the toilet and flush. The problem is a lot of times when they learn to flush it gets good on them and a couple ofthe ones I knew of wound up with several hundred dollar water bills after the cats learned this new trick. The cats decided it was fun to set there and flush the toilet all day while the owner was away and all night so it basicly flushed constantly untill they got the bill and turned it off or locked the cat out of the bathroom.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7