Recipe Catfish Sausage

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Jun 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

An Italian recipe dated back to the 16th century. Originally made with Sturgeon.
    3.25 lb boneless Catfish Fillets
    9 oz Mascarpone cheese (or Cream cheese)
    4 oz cold Butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    5 TBS dry Vermouth
    4.5 tspn Salt
    2 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1.5 TBS Onion powder
    2 tspn Liquid Smoke (optional)
    2 TBS (dry weight) Mushrooms, Porcini, dry
    1 TBS dry Egg White powder
    2 tspn Olives, dry, oil cured
    2 tspn Garlic powder
    2 tspn Tarragon, dry
    2 tspn Pepper, white ground
    1/2 tspn Red Pepper flakes
    29-32mm sheep casings
    Directions:

1. Using a spice mill, mix and pulverize the following. salt, garlic, onion, egg white powder, pepper and red pepper flakes.
    2. crush the dried mushrooms and chop into fine mince, mince the tarragon as well. add to spice mixture.
    3. Pit and fine chop the dry olives and add to spice mixture
    4. Cut the catfish into 2 inch chunks and process in food processor to a coarse paste.
    5 add the cheese, butter and cream to fish and blend them into fish paste.
    6. now add the spice mixture and pulse until well blended with fish paste.
    7. Cover and refrigerate for several hours to allow flavors to meld.
    8. Stuff into casings and tie off into 6 inch lengths.
    9. Poach in water to cover plus 1 inch at 180F for 10 minutes, remove pan from heat and allow sausages to cool to room temp.
    10. Sausages may be browned in butter and served hot.
    This recipe looks labor intensive as all get out, but I need to try this at least once. Enjoy. Tac

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Or just make salmon Patties with Corn Bread.

Save the effort and drink the Vermouth.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I might do a throw together. I never did like complicated do this do that instructions anyway. Use my spice grinder (dedicated new coffee grinder with high speed pulverizing/cutting blade - never ever been used to do coffee beans) and do steps 1 - 3 my way. then use food processor to mix/pulse/chop all moist/wet ingredients. then add dry spices to wet fish mix, and jump to step 7. Later make patties and dredge in panko bread crumbs and sauté patties in 50/50 combo of butter and EVO(extra virgin olive oil). I always did think sausage links were a pain any way.

Ganado, kellory and HK_User like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Can you make a to and send us all some to try? Looks like too much work for me...;)

Tully Mars and tacmotusn like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Nah, I am going to do like my Hawaiian Monkey friend @Hanzo and take a few beautiful pictures of the whole assembly and cooking, right up to Plating for serving. Then I will turn loose the friends and family present to devour the presentation. Non present mortals at that point can only drool, cry, whine, or get busy and fix an acceptable meal themselves.
    Happy cooking leads to happy eating.

Tully Mars, Ganado, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I've been thinking about this sausage since you posted it yesterday, tac, and it just seems wrong! Sausage outta be pork! Or mixed pork and beef. Or alligator. Fish??? I don't know about dat.

Kajun

Hanzo likes this.
  7. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Sounds interesting. I have made rabbit sausage (its great), but never thought of using fish. Worth a try...

tacmotusn and Hanzo like this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

From the view point that cured meats and sausages were originally intended to preserve and extend the life of these items before eating them, I would have to completely agree with you. There are actually 3 different seafood sausages in my collected data base. None of them are meant to be anything but an unusual but tasty treat to be prepared and eaten almost immediately. With all the French influence on the cooking in your area of the country I would think you can even think of some examples of that. Are you not familiar with "Boudins Blanc", or "Boudins Blanc de Paris", or "Shellfish Boudin Sausage" ? All these I would think might be made occasionally by someone in your AO. All are delicacies meant to be eaten quickly after being made. Jus sayin

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yes, But smoked does not have to be refrigerated for I'm guessing 3 days?

Hanzo likes this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Where did that come from? I never said anything about smoking "Boudins Blanc", or "Boudins Blanc de Paris", or "Shellfish Boudin Sausage" ?. All are delicacies meant to be eaten quickly after being made.

Quite frankly, 3 days after being made, I would not eat these period.

Hanzo, kellory and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've been talking to the local Boudin makers, However we did not discuss specifically what you have mentioned above.
    Just thought I would mention how well smoked holds up outside of refrigeration, Would you consider smoking for example the shellfish boudin?

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Can't argue with that...

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Not me. 2 reasons; my recipes for all seafood sausages include milk products in the mix. Secondly shrimp and all fish in humid conditions goes bad quite quickly at room temp or warmer. Even under good refrigeration imho they would have to be consumed within 48 hours. I have no clue how well these might freeze and keep. BTW, In Asian countries I have eaten and enjoyed seafood products that were dried to a very low moisture content and then package sealed. These for the most part were in very small portions that were completely consumed once opened. They also powder those dried seafood product and use in soups. All are excellent imo but well beyond my skill set for seafood preservation.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Motomom34, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Sturgeon. ... everything tastes good with sturgeon. Catfish alternative sounds fascinating. Are you doing whole fish or are you stripping out brown fat? I only ask cuz I'm not fond of that portion of catfish. But maybe sausage style it makes no difference. Can't wait to see the pics

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

the catfish fillets I purchase usually have the dark strip cut out

Ganado likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Still waiting on the pics, @tacmotusn. Got my drool wipes handy...

Ganado likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi