CB Radio

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Wizbit7, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Homer Simpson There is NO FCC Rule or Regulation, in CFR 47 Part 97, that states that a Ham Radio can not be modified to Transmit on the Citizens Band Frequencies, or any other Frequency... There is a Regulation in CFR 47 Part 97 that pertains to External RF Amplifiers, where a it is Illegal to modify, more than a few, per year, that will Amplify RF in that Band of Frequencies. There IS a Rule in CFR 47 Part 95 Subpart D (Rule 9) that states only Type Accepted Radios may be used to Transmit on the Frequencies listed in subpart D. (Rule 7).

It is ALSO Illegal to exceed the Posted Speed Limit, by even the Smallest Infinitesimal Amount... Check the Speed of Vehicles on ANY Interstate... 99% of those vehicles are operated ILLEGALLY....

Also Note: The promised "Pictures at 11Pm" have been added to Post #12....

2. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

So it is illegal to use the modified radio in the 11 meter CB band. I would like to know what would happen if "Joe Citizen" happened to get caught with such a radio, even if not transmitting on it. I doubt it would go well for him. I do know from the mid 70's to the mid 80's many people I knew got in trouble modding 10 meter radios for 11 meters. The link in post #20 to QTH.COM (a respected ham radio site as I understand) has a list of "ham" radios that were banned because they were so easy to mod.

Justify your illegal activities however lets you sleep at night. I don't really see that as a valid comparison, unless the other drivers on the road want to from a gang, hunt you down, and attempt to destroy your car, like hams do when they find an unlicensed operator on their precious frequencies.

3. BTPost

Back then, the Field Operations Bureau had enough Agents, that one had about a 1% chance of ever getting such a check.... These days there aren't enough Field Agents, to even cover the "Safety of Life and Property" issues, when they come up.... let alone go out and chase down, non-interfering, but non-Type Accepted, hardware. If it isn't causing A MAJOR INTERFERENCE ISSUE, it doesn't even get noticed.... and with the Bands being so bad, recently, CB Skip is almost nonexistent, except when a Major Solar Strorm hits... so it is all local Comms, anyway....

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Which does not excuse a violation. But yeah, the odds of getting caught operating illegally are infinitesimally small. But it's like getting caught speeding, the book gets thrown, and there's no appeal from a 5 figure fine and loss of the gear and (if licensed) your ticket goes away permanently. Now, if SHTF, you are on your own, at least as much as you are now. When the air mover gets oscillating, all you need to sweat is po'd radio operators if you are interfering. I can tell you, interferences are hunted down. We just spent a year tracking down an intermittent interfering signal from a paging service repeater. They are not happy about having to buy new equipment.

5. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

I have a small CB in my car kit. I check it for operation yearly and change batteries. It's mostly backup as 2mtrs is main usage. Main CB is as Uniden SSB radio, unmodified as I have no need for ops outside of normal channels... Also find MURS to be an asset as local logging seems to use them. I try to keep a FRS radio on hand as well... Scans all channels with the "1" tone and can pick up a lot of talk on a road trip. Wife won't let me install HF capabilities in the Jeep so I keep to portable devices. Station at home QTH is solar powered for the last 5 years and has maintained readiness with better than 99% up time. Windstorm took out my antenna support tree! UHF and VHF were still operational as well as a scanner for CB, LEO's weather and local fire. I live for options, more than one way of doing something is always good....

BTPost likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

In these parts, the deer hunters use dogs and CB radios with linear amplifiers. That's from September until December. The rest of the year you never hear anything on the CB band.

7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Heh, I used to moonlight at a CB shop when I was a young jarhead and did mods to take CBs up above 27.405 and of course unlock the "slider" to both transmit and receive at the step frequencies...all the time, so I know where you are coming from. I finally relented and got a ham ticket a few years back when I was organizing a local Oath Keepers unit. I'm not elitist...I am still just an outlaw bootleg CBer at heart. Heck, even the Mob has its legit fronts, ya know? ;)

Homer Simpson likes this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

No problems for a Ham to transmit on CB band as long as it's at 4 watts or less. It's open to everyone. You just don't find many Hams there because we have so many other areas to use that don't have all of the swearing and BS that CB does.

9. Mac Bolan

Mac Bolan Monkey

Back in the day I had a really nice Galaxy DX 2527 Base Station running with a simple Antron 99 Big Stick antenna.
    I was in Chicago at that time and had no problems getting out to 20 miles. What was nice about it was that you could broadcast in AM, FM, SSB. It was modded to pick up all freq's from 26.000 to 32.000. Depending on your situation a CB setup night not be a bad idea, especially when you can go to channels where normal radio's can not. upload_2016-11-18_21-21-53.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  10. BTPost

I have three HF Tranceivers online these days... ALL are opened for Tx/Rx from 100Hkz to 55 MHz... All are Kenwood brand Radios. Main Base is a TS-590s, Backup is a TS-690s, and Mobile in our White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck is a TS-480sat... Main Antenna is a wire Dipole cut for 3920 KHz, feed thru a Good Manual Antenna Tuner. Backup Antenna is a 5BTV, Grounded to the Steel Roof of the cabin, and fed from another Good Manual Antenna Tuner. There is a Manual Antenna Switch that allows Either Radio, to drive either Antenna Tuner, and Antenna, and both Radios have Builtin AutoTuners, that can be used with the Manual Tuners in ByPass Mode. The Mobile, only has a 11 Meter Antenna at the moment, but next Spring I will get a FULL Ham Band HF Mobile Antenna, and get it mounted on the Toyota Truck. Each have HF Ham, HF Marine, HF Alaska Privare Fixed, HF Aircraft, and CB Frequecies Programmed into the Memory Channels, for quick access. I like having ALL MY HF Frequencies in a single Box...

Tempstar likes this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

TS-690s- My favorite HF

12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

wait, don't tell me...Hillary also has her own private frequency band, Hillary hertz!

1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. JA40
  4. JA40
  5. Tully Mars
  6. ED GEiN
  7. Southbound
  8. hitchcock4
  9. Bandit99
  10. Bandit99
  11. DKR
  12. DKR