CC a 45 in texas

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mage2, May 14, 2007.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I have been reading other threads and have seen a few say there are good ways to carry a 1911 concealed. I am looking to get a 45 in the very near future, and possibly to use it for CC. I was wondering if you all could share in the wisdom of how to carry those large pistols during a texas summer. I am also asking this because I am damn (sorry) tired of marketing BS after searching for holsters for the larger pistols.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I carry a full-sized 1911 all the time. Usually I carry in a Galco SOB holster with a vest or a shirt-tail cover. Sometimes I use a Kyvek paddle holster but there just really isn't any practical way to carry a .45 without a cover of some sort.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know all about this. I live in Texas, and I carry my five inch 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II. They are not cheap, but you can buy a bunch of crappy stuff or spend the money and be done with it. As my father used to tell his customers "When you buy the best you only cry once." The VM II is about as comfortable in my opinion as you can get carrying a full size 1911. I have actually forgotten I was carrying at times while wearing it. It really spreads the weight out with the design of the holster. I recommend it. In the summer I will typically wear a shirt untucked and it covers the part of the 1911 that sticks out. I have also worn light weight vest that covers it well too. A polo shirt is all that you would need as a covering garment.
    VM-2_large (Medium).

4. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

I have to agree with EL on the points he made. And he is showing you what is one of the best holsters out there. Actually, in my not so humble opinion, 1 of the 2 best.

[​IMG]

The picture is of an Alessi CQC-S holster. It is worn outside the pants, but lays extremely flat against the body. It is worn in the same manner EL wrote of and does not print against the clothing.

My wife use to wear one at gun shows with her Browning BDM in it, under a loose, printed t-shirt. No one ever caught on that she was wearing a gun until she raised up her shirt. I've even seen her raise her arms, slowly turn around and taunt folks to spot her handgun. None ever did.

The Versa-Max II and the CQC-S share one really nice thing in common. You can take the holster off the belt without undoing the belt. The other nice thing is Lou Alessi and Tony Kannally of Milt Sparks Holsters are very good friends. They exchange ideas all the time to improve both their products.

BTW... the 1911 in my holster is a 1943 GI Issue Remington-Rand. Only modification is the Pachmayr grips.

And EL is right...... pay for quality once.... it is less painful then finding out later you bought something that really didn't work, then buying the best later.

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Thank you for the help. I agree with the cry once idea. I really do not like to "save" on somethings, you get what you pay for. I am going to research them both. Thank you again

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7