CCW permit no longer required (Idaho)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just passing on some information...

"...in Idaho we have had a major change to our CCW laws which will change July 1, 2016.
    On March 25, Idaho Governor Butch Otter signed permitless concealed carry legislation which makes the Second Amendment the official carry permit for State residents 21 years and older.

Open carry of a handgun for self-defense was already legal in Idaho and proponents of the permitless concealed carry legislation-Senate Bill 1389-argued that a law-abiding citizen openly carrying a gun ran the risk of breaking the law if his jacket, shirt, or other article of clothing inadvertently covered the firearm. SB 1389 removes this risk by recognizing the right to carry openly or concealed without a permit...

Idaho now joins Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Montana, Vermont, Wyoming, and West Virginia in allowing open carry or concealed carry without a permit.

The law abolishing the need for a concealed carry permit goes into effect in Idaho on July 1, 2016.

Brokor, Meat, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Another state has rediscovered the definition of true freedom...there may be hope for us yet.

3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

This is good in most all respects, but

When AZ went to Constitutional Carry and degraded our CCW requirements to just a few short hours and no range accuracy test, my CCW was no longer accepted in several other states like Nevada and Washington and a few others.

4. chimo

No worries, we just have to work harder to enlighten them all and bury this notion that free men need government permission to carry a firearm...in any fashion...once and for all.

5. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I spend time working in Seattle and got my permit there so I could carry.

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@AD1 Yes, I was wondering about that myself as I have a Enhanced permit which allows me to carry in 38 states, IIRC. But, rethinking it, I don't think this will affect me at all since there will not be any requirements to carry in Idaho now; however, out of state will still require an Enhanced permit so...So, I think I am okay. I hope.

AD1 likes this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

[applaud]
    Yeah Idaho!
    From Southern AZ...

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Well Done IdeeHo!! (y)

9. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I was hoping that TX would do away with the permit requirement when open carry was being debated... :(

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

In an open carry state, why is a course needed to conceal carry? If I'm carrying openly and put on a jacket that covers it; suddenly I need a class?

11. chimo

Yep, insane isn't it. Here in Ohio, which is also a open carry state, if I get into a vehicle with my firearm, it automagically becomes concealed and requires a permit. We've been chipping away at these wacky CC laws and maybe someday we'll be rid of them.

Brokor, kellory and Ganado like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Strange but true. If logic were applied to all gun "control" laws, rules, and regulations, there would be none of them.

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7