CCW Saves Lives Thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Clyde, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Awesome story . . . I wish they could all end like this . . . 5 hits (too bad the perp is still suckin' O2).

Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder | www.wsbtv.com

Updated: 5:39 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2013 | Posted: 3:25 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2013
    Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —
    A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. His condition is unclear, but Chapman said he was shot in the face and neck.

In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

Kavanaugh was the first reporter at the scene as deputies investigated. The victim's husband told Kavanaugh he's proud of his wife. He was on the phone with her as the intruder broke in.

"My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner," Donnie Herman said.

He said he's thankful for his family's safety.

"Her life is saved, and her kids' life is saved, and that's all I'd like to say," Herman said.

ghrit, tulianr and kellory like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Idiot brought a lamp to a gun fight.;)

tulianr likes this.
  3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Something you won't hear about in the MSM.

School Shooting in Tennessee That National Media Did Not Report « TN Smart Girl

School Shooting in Tennessee That National Media Did Not Report

Posted: January 6, 2013 in Gun Control, Politics

The following incident happened at a high school only minutes from my home in East Tennessee. I am sure that no one outside of our immediate region has ever heard the story, because the only person who was shot-and killed-was the gunman. These types of stories don’t fit the narrative of those who want “gun-free zones” and so are ignored by the national media. In this case an armed Security Resource Officer, Carolyn Gudger, became a local hero and saved an unknown number of lives by holding the gunman at bay until backup arrived. The text below is drawn from a local news website, Tricities.com. The story is not viewable on mobile devices, probably because it is so old. If you wish to view it on your PC, here is the link: Gunman killed at Sullivan Central - TriCities.com: News

Gunman killed at Sullivan Central

“On Monday morning, August 30, 2010, Thomas Richard Cowan loaded 13 bullets into two handguns, left his German shepherd chained to the fence and drove eight miles from his home in Kingsport to Sullivan Central High School. Whatever his mission, it was the 62-year-old Vietnam veteran’s final drive. For about an hour, Cowan’s armed invasion spread panic throughout the school before a burst of officers’ gunfire brought him down. No others were injured.

No one knows why Cowan pointed his Honda in the direction of the Blountville, Tenn., high school, where his brother is a janitor. He is described – in court records and interviews – as a peculiar man with a history of erratic, sometimes criminal, behavior and a deep suspicion of the government. He parked his car Monday morning in a handicapped space just in front of the school’s main entrance. Second period was just getting under way at 9:10 a.m. when Ashley Thacker, a junior, arrived at the main entrance of her high school. Thacker, 16, had been at a doctor’s appointment and was on her way to a music theory class as she approached the locked doors.

She noticed a man standing in the 10-foot waiting area between the two sets of doors, waiting to be buzzed in. His bald crown was framed with brown hair. He had a mustache, she remembered, and he was holding a cane. He told her to go on ahead of him. But she never made it through the doors. Instead, Melanie Riden, principal of Sullivan Central, came striding through the locked doors. “He pulled out his gun and started pointing it at people,” Thacker said. Cowan trained a .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol at Riden’s face, said Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson.

Carolyn Gudger, the school resource officer, drew her gun, then shielded the principal’s body with her own.

Thacker remembers Cowan shouting something – possibly including the words “10 years” – but she isn’t sure. She turned and ran out the set of public doors to the mulch pile in the front of the school, and hid behind bushes. “He might shoot someone,” Thacker remembered thinking. “I just wanted to get out of there.”

Riden fled and Gudger inched back into the school, leading Cowan through the scattered pastel chairs in the empty cafeteria. It was a tactical move, meant to lure the gunman into a more contained place, Anderson said. Sullivan County dispatch sent out a chilling alert: “Man with a gun at Central High School.”

Gudger told him to drop his weapon; he demanded she drop hers. Once, he tried, unsuccessfully, to lunge for her gun. Cowan repeated one thing only, Anderson said. That he wanted to pull the fire alarms. “I don’t know why, we can only speculate about that and I think everyone will speculate why he wanted to pull a fire alarm,” Anderson said. “Either to get the kids out of class or, I don’t know. We don’t know.”

Flattened against the bushes, Ashley Thacker waited two minutes, she thinks. “I didn’t hear anything else, so I thought Officer Gudger had arrested him.” She was wrong. As she approached the school, two assistant principals opened a window and yelled at her to run away. Crying and shaking, Thacker ran to her car and drove a half-mile to her parents’ business.

The view from the classroom

At about 9:15 a.m., a shaken voice came over the intercom. “Code red. Lockdown.” There was profanity in the background. This was no drill, students realized. With the announcement, teachers sprang into action – locking doors and papering over windows, turning off the lights and closing window blinds. Students huddled in the corners of classrooms, sitting in the darkness and searching for information with a storm of text messages.

Casey Deel, a 17-year-old senior, was on his way to a doctor’s office when his girlfriend, Alicia Edwards, sent him a text at 9:15 a.m. “There’s a code red lock down. im scared,” the 16-year-old junior texted from her government class. “r u serious?” Deel texted back. He skipped his appointment. In Kayla Nichols’ cosmetology class, students squeezed into a storage room the size of a parking space, and locked the door, the 17-year-old said. Ryan Kendrick was in algebra class, just off the main office. The 17-year-old senior thought he heard the gunman making threats – about not leaving the building alive and taking others with him – and Gudger urging him to calm down.

Then he heard a volley of gunshots. Kendrick and his friend, Andrew Ray, began to pray. Landon Sillyman was in his honors biology class, where the teacher had instructed students to put their heads on their desks in the darkened classroom. The 14-year-old freshman estimated the suspense lasted about an hour. But it was all over in minutes, Anderson estimated.

One hundred and twenty seconds after Cowan drew his gun, two deputies, Lt. Steve Williams and Sam Matney, arrived. They entered through separate doors and met Cowan and Gudger – still in a moving standoff – as they reached a science pod behind the cafeteria. Cowan wavered; he jerked his gun from Gudger to the other deputies then back again. The three officers told him, again, to drop his weapon. He wouldn’t. So they opened fire. Some students counted five shots, others counted six. Anderson would not say how many rounds hit the gunman.

Cowan fell to the ground, his shoes just feet from door to the library full of teenagers. The pistol in his hand had seven bullets in the magazine and another in the chamber. He had a second handgun in his back pocket, loaded with five rounds. “That’s how close he was,” Anderson said. “We all know this could have been much more dangerous.”

Yes, it could have been much worse. It could have been another national headline about multiple deaths, sparking a national outcry for stricter gun laws. But it wasn’t. Why? Because the good people of Tennessee have enough sense to place armed officers inside of our schools to protect our children.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

A homeowner shot a 17-year-old suspect who climbed through the window of a Warren house wielding a butcher's knife.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Retired officer kills suspected intruder
    Detroit - Authorities say a retired Detroit police officer has been involved in a fatal shooting of a suspected intruder.

The Detroit Free Press and WDIV-TV report that the unidentified retired officer shot a man Friday afternoon who was breaking into a home on the city's west side. Police say the victim was found dead on the kitchen floor.

Source:
    Topic Galleries -- chicagotribune.com

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Clerk with gun stops knife-wielding robber - TODAY'S TMJ4
    Clerk with gun stops knife-wielding robber

By Tom Murray
    CREATED Jan. 9, 2013

MILWAUKEE - Ernestine Aldana's son urged her to keep a gun under the cash register at their family's corner grocery store. She took the advice and used that gun to stop an attack.

"You have to be ready for anything because this neighborhood is bad," Aldana told TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Tom Murray.

At first, she did not think much of a man who came into the San Ignacio Market and took a soda out of the cooler.

"I rang it up and the tray started to open," Aldana recounted. "He came out with a knife, swung it at me. He grabbed the register."

On surveillance video, Aldana is seen with the handgun. The armed robber ducks under the counter and then swats her with the cash drawer.

"I chased him out the door and I shouldn't have done that," Aldana says.

The store owner believes she's seen the man in the knit black hat in her neighborhood before, but now police cannot find him and are asking for your help.

As for Aldana, she is thankful she had the gun within arm's reach.

"I actually feared for my life that night," she said. "If I didn't have the gun, I believe I would have been hurt."

Police describe the suspect as a white man, 25-35 years old, 165 pounds. The robbery occurred on December 14, 2012. The market is located at 2082 S. Muskego Avenue. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call Milwaukee Police at 414-935-7360.

8. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I have an experience I'd like to share. Nothing happened, nobody got shot, and a weapon wasn't even presented. I think that is the best outcome overall.

I was getting ready to go for a run one afternoon. The area was just on the local news for having problems with certain men loitering around looking to do things with other men. Not the best situation, but I've been running through there for years and the local homos never bothered me.

I just parked my jeep, got out, and walked to the passenger side door to tidy up my towel and such on the seat. I was trying to make it look like there wasn't anything worth breaking into the jeep for, which there wasn't. One can never be too careful.

With my back turned, I noticed a middle aged man approach from the other side of the parking lot. I could see him, but didn't acknowledge him. It's just better that way, in the city. He kept coming towards me to where he began to cross my line of comfort, about 10-12 feet. At that point I turned around and faced him.

All I did was slide my fanny pack (Kahr Mk9 9mm) from my back, around my waist to my front. That's all I did.

The "Gentleman" Immediatly stopped, still looking down and not making eye contact, turned 180 degrees and walked away.

I can only speculate what he was up to that day. I just know that my hair stood on end for a second, as I let him get a little closer than I would like, but then again, you get close to people everyday in an urban environment. I'm sure if he needed help, something else nondescript, or nonthreatening, he would have at least looked at me or said something.

So all I can say is that it ended the best way for each of us.

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Whoooo doggie! Them Mk9s are pricey! Glad you didn't have put a canoe down his head . . . of course, that probably would've saved the world future incidents.

10. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

May be pricey but worth it IMHO. It is very slim, and the overal size can be hidden in your hand easily. The only downfall is the weight, as I have to pack my fannypack very carefully before I go for a run or it will batter me with every stride I take. Something lighter would be nice, like the PM9 or a P380, but like you said earlier they are expensive.

I used to run with a Walther PK-380 until I noticed that it had a tendency for the safety to engage itself without me knowing. If I would have to actually use the pistol, I would lose a precious second or two. After that, I sold it and got a Walther P-22. The problem is the P-22 is just not reliable enough for me being a rimfire.

I'm sticking with the Kahr. I tell myself that the extra weight makes me have to work just that much more when I run. That can't be a bad thing, can it?

11. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Police: Homeowner shoots 2 suspects during home invasion | News - Home

Police: Homeowner shoots 2 suspects during home invasion

KRDO.com Staff
    POSTED: 10:50 PM MST Jan 07, 2013 UPDATED: 12:50 PM MST Jan 08, 2013
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
    A Colorado Springs man shoots two suspects after they broke into his home Monday night, police say.
    Police said three male suspects broke into the home just before 10:00 p.m. on the 2400 block of E. St. Vrain St.
    Al Michaud was home during the break-in. A struggle took place between Michaud and the suspects. Michaud got his gun and shot two of the suspects, police said.
    "There was one by the door. I put a bullet in his chest. I was going to shoot the other one in the chest but the one who was closest to me hit my arm and the gun went off and hit him in his leg," said Michaud.
    The two suspects who were shot ran from the home, police said. They stopped about one block away because of their injuries.
    The two suspects were taken to the hospital, police said, and one suspect is in critical condition. The other injured suspect is in stable condition.
    Michaud sustained no injuries.
    Currently, police do not have much information on the third suspect.
    Violent Crimes Unit detectives are investigating the incident.
    If you have any information about this case, you are asked to call police at (719) 444-7000. If you would like to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at (719) 634-STOP (7867).

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders
    15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders

by Mary Chastain 10 Jan 2013
    A 15-year old boy used his father’s AR-15 to defend himself and his 12-year old sister against two burglars at their home just north of Houston, Texas.

Their father is a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy constable, and the boy knew what he had to do to keep himself and his sister alive. Around 2:30 PM, two men tried to break in, with one going through the front door and the other in the back.

The boy grabbed the AR-15 and shot at them. The two later showed up at a Tomball hospital. The adult was hit three times and was flown to Memorial Hermann hospital, while the juvenile was taken back to the crime scene.

“We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

More stories are coming out about armed citizens defending their lives and property with legally owned firearms. In the span of a week, Breitbart News has reported how a mother used a .38 revolver against an intruder, a man used his weapon to protect his 2-month old son, and a Colorado man invoked the Make My Day law in Colorado in using lethal force to defend himself against three intruders.

Senator Dianne Feinstein and others are trying to push through major gun control laws that would include banning the AR-15, the same gun used by the teenage boy.

13. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Should be a lesson to NOT talk to the news/cops. Only speak through an attorney. Who know what a civil lawsuit could do with his "statement."

DeKalb County homeowner shoots burglar - CBS Atlanta 46
    DeKalb County homeowner shoots burglar

Posted: Jan 10, 2013 5:22 PM EST Updated: Jan 11, 2013 7:31 AM EST
    Renee Starzyk - email

DEKALB COUNTY, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -
    A Decatur man fired his shotgun and hit a burglar who had broken into his home Thursday afternoon. It is the latest incident of homeowners protecting themselves from criminals.
    "I come into the gate. I come here and stop and he was coming out the window with a shotgun in his hand," said George McRae, who lives along Elgin Drive.
    The suspect found the shotgun that belonged to McRae inside the home after he had broken in.
    "I had my pistol in my pocket and I said, 'Put that gun down,'" McRae said.
    The suspect ducked back into the house so McRae went in, confronted him and told him to put down the shotgun. The burglar complied. McRae picked up the shotgun and called 911.
    "I said, 'The police are going to get you. You're going to tell your story to the police,'" said McRae. "That's when he charged me and that's when I bam!"
    McRae fired off one round and struck the burglar in the chest. The suspect was taken to a local hospital, where DeKalb police said he was in critical condition late Thursday.
    "I hit him," said McRae. "I knew I did. I meant to."

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Shawnee Woman Thwarts Home Invasion - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

SHAWNEE, Oklahoma -
    Armed with a gun and ready to shoot, a Shawnee woman defended her home as man broke down her door. It happened in broad daylight and she didn't back down.
    Pam Loman and her husband, James, say they've lived on Homer Lane in Shawnee for over 10 years and have never had any problems. But early Friday afternoon, while Pam was home alone, she quickly figured out, three men outside her home were up to no good.
    "I still feel queasy sick at my stomach, a little shaky, a little nervous," Pam said.
    Pam was cleaning her home Friday afternoon when she heard someone knocking at her front door.
    "One was knocking on the door, but there was two in the car. So I thought that was kind of strange, and they looked a little scary," she said.
    Pam says the knocking got harder, to just outright banging.
    "So my instinct was to go get a gun. I don't know why, I never in my life felt like I needed to go get a gun," Pam said.
    She stood near her kitchen, just steps away from the front door, with both hands on her .32-caliber pistol.
    And just all of a sudden, with one kick, he knock the door completely in. The frame came flying down. Things came flying everywhere," Pam recalled. "And he saw that I had the gun, and he grabbed the door handle and pulled the door shut."
    Pam immediately called police, and her husband, who rushed home from work.
    "I was scared to death, because, I got her phone call. She was hysterical, and before I can get anything back, the phone went dead. That's what really scared me," James said.
    Now, they're hoping pictures taken from motion sensor trail cams hidden on their property will help police identify, and catch the suspects.
    "I felt threatened, and I feel like if he would have stepped a foot in, I would have shot him," Pam said.
    Pam says police are going to try to use imaging technology to see if they can enhance the pictures of the suspect. For now though, police are still looking for the three men.

15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Best one yet!!!

HPD: Witnesses shoot robbery suspect | News - Home

HOUSTON -
    Two witnesses opened fire on a man after a robbery in southeast Houston, investigators said.
    Houston police said the shooting happened on Wichita Street and Live Oak Street about 9 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived at the scene, officers said they found a man who had been shot once.
    Detectives said that man, Christopher Lamont Hutchins, tried to rob Kevin Dorsey along the side of the street.
    "I got in my Mustang, started it and was getting ready to close the door when a guy walks up on me with ski mask, glove," Dorsey said. "He put a gun to me and is like, 'Give it up.'"
    Dorsey said he complied.
    "I proceed to give him my wallet, my phone, phone charger, bracelet," Dorsey said.
    Dorsey said two men he considers angels then appeared.
    "As soon as they pass me, they see the guy has a gun to me," he said. "They stopped right there. The guys in the gray Mercedes asked me, 'Did you just get jacked?' I said yes. Immediately, they started shooting at the suspect."
    Hutchins was wounded in the abdomen. Investigators said he tried to run away and ended up being bitten by a dog. He was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in serious but stable condition. He is expected to survive and has been charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.
    "Those two guys that stopped in this Mercedes might just seem like random people to you, but they're angels to me," Dorsey said.
    Neither the victim nor the witnesses were injured.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, yes, but how is the dog?;)

17. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

18. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Things are escalating in a good way. First, suicide by cop, now suicide by grand theft auto.

20. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

If the victim hadn't been a bad@ss, this could've turned out differently

Man Left Bruised And Battered After Attempting to Mug MMA Fighter | Bangstyle :: A Global Image Community for Hair

One Chicago man certainly learned his lesson the hard way when messed with the wrong “victim”. Anthony Miranda, 24, attempted to mug a man who turned out to be a mixed martial art (M.M.A.) expert, and got pretty beat up in the process, even accidentally shooting himself in the ankle. Talk about poetic justice.
    The victim, whose name police have not released, was sitting in his parked car when Miranda approached him and asked him to borrow a lighter. When the victim informed Miranda that he did not have a lighter, Miranda pulled out a handgun and demanded that he get out of the vehicle.
    A struggle ensued, and the victim was at some point able to take control of the firearm while Miranda’s attention was diverted. During the struggle, the two men took their fight to the ground, and Miranda accidentally discharged his gun, shooting himself in the ankle.
    The victim had complete control over Miranda and was able to pin him down to the ground until police arrived. The victim told officials that he was a mixed martial arts expert and ultimate fighting champion.
    Miranda sustained minor injuries to his face with multiple cuts and bruises. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital.
    Miranda is being charged with armed robbery and aggravated discharge of a firearm, which is a class X felony. Records show that Miranda has been convicted of numerous other charges, including at least one for a residential burglary.
    He is being held on $350,000 bond.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7