CCW Saves Lives Thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Clyde, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

East Ridge home intruder stopped by armed residents

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 10:43 AM EST Updated: Jan 14, 2013 9:44 AM EST

EAST RIDGE, TN (WRCB) -- An East Ridge family catches an intruder in the act and held him for police. They tell Channel 3 why their guns may have saved their lives.

A 22-year-old Hixson man is behind bars after police say he repeatedly tried to force his way into an East Ridge home early Sunday morning. It happened on South Seminole Drive.
    Around 1:45 a.m. Sunday the Davenport family awoke to a banging at the front door. They asked the man what he wanted and he made it clear-- he wanted inside. From there, they called police and jumped into action to protect themselves.

"My husband said police are on the way, I have a weapon and the guy said 'F that I'm coming in this house' and he was breaking the glass and he had his arm inside the house trying to unlock the door," homeowner Melissa Davenport said.

As her husband fought the stranger, now identified as 22-year-old Chas Scruggs at the door, Melissa Davenport frantically called 911. "I was just telling her I'm so scared I'm so scared," Davenport said.

But, the threat of police didn't stop him from trying to force his way in. "Then he broke our middle door pane and you can see his blood here on the door. He was kicking through this pane of glass here trying to get it open," she said.

Her husband got his gun and fired a warning shot. "Actually went through the door here and it's in the casing," Davenport said.

When that didn't scare him, Melissa called her dad who lives just down the street, who is also armed with a gun and a permit to carry. "I jumped across and landed here," Bill Birkhead said.

Then they say Scruggs changed his target to him. "He came at me and I pulled my gun, held it with both hands and said if you come any closer I'm going to have to shoot you," Birkhead said.

When that didn't work, he fired a warning shot into the ground. "I think he was high just by the way he acted. He had no fear," Birkhead said.

They were finally able to corner him on the porch. "He said ok man, you got me," Birkhead said.

Several East Ridge officers arrived on scene within four minutes of the call and arrested Scruggs.

"Thank God East Ridge Police got here so fast because I was just in fear I was going to have to shoot and kill him and I did not want to do that," Birkhead said.

Now cleaning up the mess, Melissa says it's unnerving to think what would've happened if they didn't wake up before he got in, or weren't armed.

"I will always have a gun so that we can protect ourselves because you never know what someone's crazy enough to do," Davenport said.

Melissa says their home was burglarized in 2008 while they weren't home. She also says a man, that looked like Scruggs came to her door this summer, but ran off when she answered.

Scruggs is charged with aggravated burglary and vandalism.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks, Cato for keeping this thread moving.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

911 tape: 'Shoot him again!' husband tells wife hiding from home intruder
    By Jeff Black, Staff Writer, NBC News
    January 20, 2013, 12:57 pm
    NBCNews.com

The recording of a 911 call made during a home invasion in Georgia reveals a chilling scene in which a husband coaches his wife -- home alone with her twin 9-year-old children -- to shoot a determined intruder.
    The intruder used a crowbar to bust into the house last Friday and at first intended to rob the suburban Atlanta home in Loganville but shifted his focus to hunting down Melinda Herman and her son and daughter, Walton County investigators told NBC station WXIA in Atlanta.
    The family had fled through three locked doors, into a bathroom and then to an upstairs crawl space, but the intruder busted the doors open to stalk the family, police said.
    As the incident transpired, husband Donnie Herman was in Atlanta and had his wife on one phone line and the 911 operator on the other, according to the recording, obtained by WXIA and the Atlanta Journal- Constitution.

“Do you hear him? Is he in the house? He’s in the house,” Donnie Herman says.
    “Melinda, if he opens that door, you shoot him, you understand.”
    “She has a weapon?” asks the dispatcher. “What type of weapon?”
    “She has a .38,” Donnie Herman said.
    The 911 operator tells him that officers were on the way.
    “She shot him. She’s shooting him, she’s shooting him.”
    "OK," the dispatcher responds.
    "Shoot him again! Shoot him!" Donnie Herman yells, later telling the dispatcher “She shot him, a lot.”
    Herman tells the dispatcher he heard a lot of screaming. But it was seven agonizing minutes before he found out that his family was OK, WXIA reported.
    Melinda Herman told police that she started shooting when the man opened the door to the crawl space. He pleaded with her to stop, but she kept firing until she was out of bullets, she told police. She then fled to a neighbor's house with her children.
    The family is still shaken by what happened.
    "Just like I told her that night,” Walton County Sheriff’s Capt. Greg Hall told WXIA. “Ya know, there's right and there's wrong and then there's not natural, and it's not natural for people to have to shoot people, so it is going to bother you ..."
    The National Rifle Association tweeted a link about the shooting, apparently using it as an example of responsible gun ownership.
    And Sheriff Joe Chapman told The Associated Press that he was proud of the way she handled the incident.
    "This lady decided that she wasn't going to be a victim, and I think everyone else looks at this and hopes they have the courage to do what she done," Chapman said Wednesday.
    The alleged intruder, identified as Paul Slater, 32, of Atlanta, was shot five times. He remained at a hospital.
    Spokesmen for the Sheriff’s Office and the Walton County prosecutors were not immediately available to NBC News.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

A BIG thumbs down on warning shots (boo - hiss).[looksharp]

Looks like them fellers fell down and hurt their face trying to get away. [taser1]

Man fires gun to chase burglars out of his home - | News for Yuma, Imperial Valley, El Centro, AZ & CA

YUMA, AZ - The Yuma County Sheriff's Office says a Yuma man chased away two men who had broken into his trailer home and fired several warning shots to keep the suspects away.
    Yuma County Sheriff's Office says 26-year-old Rigoberto Quiroga and 28-year-old Jesus Arbizo are now behind bars after having forced their way through a window. It happened around 3 in the morning in the 2300 block of East 15th Street.
    The 22-year-old man who lived in the trailer grabbed a gun when he spotted the intruders and ran after them outside the trailer as they took off.
    The suspects were later arrested outside a nearby apartment complex.
    Police says the victim fired shots in the general direction of the burglars but not directly at them. No one was injured.
    YCSO says both men were booked on suspicion of criminal trespassing and burglary.

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

It's just not worth it to B&E. Good shooting pops . . . that's the last mistake that POS will make.

Police: 82-year-old Mo. man shoots intruder - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

ELLSINORE, MO (KFVS) -
    Police say an 82-year-old Ellsinore man shot a man who reportedly broke into his home Friday night.
    It happened shortly after 7:30 p.m. on North Herren Street.
    According to Carter County Sheriff Richard Stephens, Charles L. White, 30, of Ellsinore, broke into the residence and assaulted the 82-year-old. White reported fled after being shot.
    After the sheriff's office obtained a search warrant, White was found at a home in Ellsinore.
    The 82-year-old homeowner was taken to a Poplar Bluff hospital and then by air ambulance to a St. Louis hospital with head injuries.
    White was taken to a Poplar Bluff hospital and treated for a gunshot wound to the arm.
    An arrest warrant was issued for White for assault first degree and burglary first degree. He was being held in the Butler County Jail under $500,000 bond or cash surety.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ought to be held by a rope, just below a scaffold.

oldawg likes this.
  9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Student Uses AR-15 to Stop Home Invasion

While Democrats attempt to ban "military-style assault weapons" like the AR-15, a Rochester Institute of Technology student used that very gun to thwart home invaders and save his roommate’s life.

Christopher Boise heard noises in the basement of his apartment; when he went to investigate, he found two intruders. One of the men trained a gun on him. Boise screamed, which woke his roommate, Raymond, who grabbed his gun bag and took out his AR-15.
    One invader opened Raymond’s door only to see the barrel of the gun.
    "By the time I had it out and ready, one of the men came at my door, slowly opened it, saw that there was a barrel on the other side and from there backed out," Raymond said.
    The men fled the apartment without taking anything. No shots were fired in the confrontation.
    "I'm happy he saved my life. I was very thankful he had his (gun)," said Boise.
    A few weeks ago, a 15-year old boy used his father’s AR-15 to stop two home invaders when he and his sister were home alone.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Army veteran in wheelchair scares off burglar with gun | Fox News

A U.S. army veteran who uses a wheelchair confronted a burglar with a pistol, scaring the intruder away from his home.
    Mark Sikes of Bogart, Georgia, tells MyFoxAtlanta.com external-link. that he was watching TV when he heard a noise at his door and saw a man appear in his hallway.
    "I reached and got the gun out of my drawer and kind of raised it up," Sikes said. "He took off and ran out the front door."
    Sikes, who served as a military police officer in Korea, says he's keeping his 9mm pistol close by following the attempted burglary, MyFoxAtlanta.com reports.
    He hopes the close encounter serves as a warning sign for the would-be burglar.
    "Find something else to do besides try to rob people because you came real close to losing your life yesterday," Sikes tells MyFoxAtlanta.com.
    Police in Athens-Clarke County are searching for the suspect, who Sikes said was dressed in black and may have had a car waiting for him.
    external-link.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Armed homeowner thwarts Friday burglary

Bellefontaine, OH
    Created on Monday, 21 January 2013
    Written by Joel E. Mast

An armed homeowner was able to confront and stop two burglars Friday, according to additional details from the Logan County Sheriff’s Office.

As reported in Saturday’s edition, Matthew D. Cheadle, 31, at large, and Jason T. Overholt, 34, at large, each was charged with aggravated burglary and possession of criminal tools.

They were confronted around 1:12 p.m. when a resident entered his County Road 1 home.

The resident, who has a concealed carry permit, found Mr. Overholt on the first floor and deployed his handgun on the suspect.

Once the suspect was on the floor, the resident called sheriff’s dispatchers and they, in turn, alerted patrol units.

Deputy Todd Dixon was nearby and responded.

While the deputy concentrated on handcuffing Mr. Overholt, the resident immediately went upstairs and found Mr. Cheadle. Again, he deployed his handgun and convinced the suspect to lay prone on the floor.

Deputy Dixon followed up and handcuffed the second suspect.

Bellefontaine Police Department provided a canine unit which tracked the suspects’ path to the residence. It appears the men walked from residential areas in Bellefontaine west of the home.

A vehicle most likely used by the suspects was located and seized by deputies Saturday. They have yet to obtain a search warrant for the vehicle.

At time of the arrest, both suspects were wearing masks, hooded jackets and gloves and were carrying backpacks and tools used in the break-in.

Both remain lodged in the Logan County Jail.

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Magnolia Mother Fires Back At Burglary Suspects

Updated: Sat 6:48 PM, Jan 26, 2013
    Magnolia Mother Fires Back At Burglary Suspects

Investigators are looking for three burglary suspects who forced themselves into a Magnolia home where there was a mother and her 6 year-old child inside.
    The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office says around 9:30 last night, they were called out to a home on the 18700 block of Mink Lake Drive in Magnolia. Investigators say three male suspects went into the home where they found a 33-year-old female with a pistol in her hand and her 6-year-old child alone inside.
    Investigators say the mother fired the pistol at the burglars and thought she hit one of them, but they all escaped.
    MCSO Major Crimes Unit Detectives and Crime Scene Units are currently investigating.
    Anyone with information is asked to call Montgomery County Crime Stoppers at 800-392-STOP (7867), the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at 936-760-5800 (24 hrs) or Detectives S. Mullis or P. Hahs at 936-760-5876.

13. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Mother Home Alone with 6-Year Old Child Stops Three Burglars with Pistol

A 33-year old mother took matters into her own hands when three men broke into her house in Magnolia, TX on Friday night while she and her 6-year old child were home alone.

The mother grabbed her pistol, and when the men found her she had the gun pointed at them. She shot at them, causing them to flee the house. She thinks she hit one of the intruders.

The police are investigating, and if anyone has any information they are asked to call Montgomery County Crime Stoppers at 800-392-STOP (7867), the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at 936-760-5800 (24 hrs) or Detectives S. Mullis or P. Hahs at 936-760-5876.

This story is similar to another incident in Georgia in which a mother used her revolver to save herself and her 9-year old twins from an intruder.

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Good Samaritan fatally shoots man attacking wife - Houston Chronicle

A 44-year-old man was fatally shot as he was fighting with his wife and then attacked a neighbor when the Good Samaritan stepped in to help the woman Tuesday night in north Harris County.

Victor Daniel died at the scene about 8:50 p.m. in the 23200 block of Berry Pine near Woodiver, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

The wife told investigators he was physically assaulting her when the neighbor saw the attack and tried to stop it, deputies said.

Daniel then turned on the neighbor, hitting him with a brick. Deputies said the neighbor pulled out a handgun and shot Daniel.

The neighbor was rushed to Houston Northwest Medical Center, where he was treated for a head injury. His condition was not released.

The woman was treated for minor injuries at the scene.

A Harris County grand jury is expected to review the case to determine what, if any, charges will be filed.

15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I'm very surprised they didn't charge the guy for discharging a firearm in an unsafe manner.

Man in Everett, Wash. Fires Gun to Scare Man Threatening Woman

EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — Police say a bystander fired a shot into the air to scare a man who had been chasing a woman and threatening her with a knife in Everett, Wash.
    Police officer Aaron Snell said the man with the knife stopped chasing the woman Wednesday afternoon and was detained by several other people until police arrived and arrested him for unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon. Police say the woman fled.
    Snell says the man and woman had been involved in a domestic dispute.
    The 61-year-old Arlington man who fired his pistol told police he'd ordered the man with the knife to stop chasing the woman. Fearing for her safety, the bystander says he fired one shot.
    Snell says police spoke to the man who fired his gun. They don't expect to pursue any charges against him.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am not surprised at all, Snohomish County is mostly rural, with the exception of Everett, itself, and as such is way more conservative that those BIG City folks just to the south. (Seattle) also they had a MAJOR reshuffle of their Sheriffs Office, 20 years ago, after their fancy NEW SWAT TEAM shot a young Mother holding her baby, with an Full-Auto MP5, on a Bogus Warrant Search, that cost them MILLIONS, in settlement. They and their Prosecutors LEARNED the hard way, about RAMBO Cop BS, and Unverified Search Warrant Affidavits.

17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

gun takes brick, checkmate.

18. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Police: Fort Wayne homeowner shoots at armed burglar

- News-Sentinel.com

Police: Fort Wayne homeowner shoots at armed burglar

By Christian Sheckler of The News-Sentinel

Friday, February 1, 2013 - 11:48 am

A Fort Wayne homeowner fired multiple shots at an armed burglar Friday morning, police said.
    Officers responded at about 10:22 a.m. to a report of a burglary in progress, with possible shots fired, at a home in the 1600 block of Emerson Avenue, just north of Spring Street, said Fort Wayne Police spokesman Sgt. Mark Brooks.
    When police arrived, they learned that a male resident had discovered a man breaking into the home and opened fire at the would-be burglar, Brooks said.
    "The resident observed a male white in his house that was armed with a handgun and shot at him several times," Brooks said. "At this point, we do not believe the suspect was hit."
    The burglar fled east from the scene on foot, Brooks said. The burglar was described as a man in a white T-shirt and blue jeans, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 165 pounds. He also had a red bandanna hanging from a belt loop, Brooks said.
    Brooks said the homeowner would not likely be charged with a crime for shooting at the burglar, as Indiana law allows homeowners to use force to protect themselves and their property.
    According to Indiana code, a person is justified in using deadly force if the person "reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry" into a home. This policy is widely known as the "castle doctrine."
    Anyone with information about a suspect in this case is asked to call Fort Wayne Police.

19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Police: Woman shoots at burglars leaving home | www.wsbtv.com

mugs_arrests_burglary_villa_3K6E.

VILLA RICA, Ga. —
    A woman fired three shots as she walked in on burglars scurrying in and out of her house, according to Villa Rica police. (If she only had a j-frame, she's only got 2 shots left . . . . now tell me again why I only need seven rounds?? If things had been different, now she's only got enough boolits for 2 leaving one bad guy to make her pay. Now, she has to testify against these POS, who may very well come to visit her again one day.)

The incident happened at a home in the Twin Oaks subdivision around 10:30 a.m. Saturday. The homeowner returned home from work after her alarm company notified her that an alarm had been tripped twice, police said.

When the woman surveyed her property, police said she found a man hiding in nearby woods and two others were leaving her back door. One of the men was carrying a gun, which police later determined was stolen from her home.

As the woman shot her gun, one man ran back inside and two men ran from her front door, police said. They said one of the men dropped a gun in the process.

Police eventually arrested four suspects, one of whom they said was changing clothes at a nearby restaurant. The suspects, all Villa Rica teens, were identified as Travis Clifford Goolsby, 19, Joseph Brady Cook, 19, Austin Wayne Priest, 17, and Tony Chase McGuire, 17.

They were all charged with burglary. Goolsby, Priest, and McGuire were also charged with possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.
    mugs_arrests_burglary_villa_3K6E.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Aw, but they are ALL "Good boys" just out for a little fun..... NOT.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7