Flu CDC: 8 Confirmed Cases of Swine Flu in U.S.

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by E.L., Apr 24, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Re: flu fest...

Seems joe public agrees with you :"

by intrinsic2008 New York [Apr 26, 2009 4:31:40 PM]

traxconn: "It is the job of the CDC and HHS to issue these warnings and protect public health, Ms. Napolitano and the DHS have no reason to be involved in this." //// You're exactly right. She's jumping on this, with Obama's blessing obviously, to try and salvage her sinking image. // At least when Obama used the courage of the captain taken hostage a few weeks ago to shore up his credentials, at least the matter did fall within the purview of the job he's been hired to do. // This kind of reminds me of Alexander Haig's "I'm in charge here" remark that the media tore him up for. (For you youngsters: Haig was White House Chief of Staff under Reagan when he was shot by John Hinckley, March 30, 1981.)

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

3. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

+1

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

w.h.o, raises alert status to "#4"[dunno][booze][booze]

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Oh man, this is no fun at all:
    I evidently have contracted some form of a flu bug, on sunday it reared it's head.
    What a pain!
    Literally!
    Elevated temperature, and a migraine like I have never had before.
    Then it got nasty!
    I had the hot/cold chills like malari victims get, (seen it in Nam), the all over bady aches, and coughing.
    The throat is raw from coughing, and some, but little sneezing.
    No diarrhea, no vomiting, yet!
    Been trying to rest, but it's a bear!
    Body aches wont let you, and the ears are ringing, (no asprin, nothing but vitamins being taken).
    Tonight, my 19 yearold son has told me he is now sick....
    He lives next door.
    We talk on the phone or wave from house to house.
    The catch:
    No outside contact, I have stayed home, and he goes to school.
    He has visitors, I have none.
    What he and I do have in common, his mother!
    She is a Mexican National*, and she works with others* in a janitorial service here, and some of them are now sick as well, and may have been since last week.
    She has no syptoms now, but tonight said she had a bad headache and sneezing last week!
    She has not been to Mexico for at least 4 months or more....
    But, where I live, in Phoenix, and the actual locale, is presently filled to capacity with illegals.
    They travel on the average of at least once a month to Mexico.
    She is in constant contact with them, as friends and neighbors.
    I drive her to and from work, 5 times a week.
    Now, as far as my health I am sick, but have been worse....I may or may not be contagious.
    Either way, I consider myself to be and I am avoiding everyone.
    Meanwhile my main concern is my 19 yearold son, and we are watching him very closely for any change in his temperature.
    On the other end of the city, some 60 miles from me, my oldest son, a deputy, was recently re-assigned to the courts. There he has to transport and sit in court every day with all kinds of people. His exposure is unbelieveable.
    Now, I have a 4 month old grandson that is on a respirator.....His youngest has some serious respiration issues that "just appeared" out of nowhere.
    I'm holding my breath here!
    We may or may not see something really tragic happening in this state alone.
    I thought it strange that Arizona has no known or evidently acknowledged flu cases, yet we have a termendous amount of people crossing the borders, every hour of every day!
    Stay safe and well all!
    Bill

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Prayers sent

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We'll be thinking about you and yours Bill and hope to hear very soon that you are all on the mend.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The Google Map tracking is interesting, but at this point I believe a lot of those 'suspected cases' are just ordinary flu or other illness with similar symptoms - folks are so gunshy of this Swine Flu, they are reporting ANY sickness as suspect. The CDC and other Goobermint agencies will be having to weed the chaff from the real cases - makes finding and treating real cases all the more difficult. Uses a lot of resources needlessly.
    They really should lock down the borders - but they won't.
    The good thing is we are coming off our normal flu season - this could mitigate some of the spread. But, if it does die down, we may have dropped our guard by the time our flu season ramps up again.

9. Quigley_Sharps

you should go in to a doctor and get tested.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bill-
    Concur. But better might be to send in one of the folks that have been exposed to you, even if indirectly. Your symptoms don't look to be life threatening, and if your fever has subsided, chances are you are not contagious. Someone exposed but not yet showing symptoms might show positive in testing so that steps could be taken to minimize the effects. If you start having trouble breathing, hie thee immediately to the ER.

Go heavy on fluids.

Regards and hopes for rapid recovery.

[ghrit]

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You have the right to remain silent...
    You have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford one -we will appoint a perfectly useless one who will pretend to defend you.
    You have the right to a speedy trial, although more than likely you will end up wishing it were quick and painless...
    And you have the right to be scared out of your FREAKING MIND.

Next on the news; right after the inclement weather, political turmoil and violent murder headlines - a new strain of flu, dubbed "swine", not so much for its nomenclature, but rather the source *ehem*, will it truly become a worldwide epidemic, or just another anthrax scare? STAY TUNED.

*click*

12. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

They found the source of the swine/human transmission:
    [​IMG]

;)

Stay well, dear Monkeys! :)

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Wow, that has been something.....
    A couple days of a mind blowing headache, and chills, fever etc...
    But it's fading!
    All I have now is a loud ringing in the ears, must have done something to my tinnitus?
    I contacted the city which has set up a hotline, and the county health dept., all say YES, we did get a part of the virus, but it seems we are evidently in good health, or, just lucky!
    My 19 year old had it worse than me, and more than 50% of his schoolmates are out of school.
    Yet, there's not a word of that on local news!
    We stayed home, stayed in bed, took daily vitamins, and drank a lot of liquids.
    Seems to have helped, or, this is a lull before the @*&% storm hits us!
    Yikes!
    2+ days were bad enough.
    Now, something I can't get clear, everyone I talked to, and the news, (yeah I believe them!), can't get the story straight.
    Not one seems to know, or have a real answer at all, all I get is well, maybe's.....
    They dont truly know the incubation periods, the contagious periods, or how long this mess will last.
    Then the question of an airborne-vs-contact virus came up.
    1 source says it is direct contact only, 1 says it has to be within moments to pick up the "bugs" form another, and still a 3rd says it can live outside a host for up to and more than 48 hours!
    I like it when they are so precise and have so much pertinent information to share!
    Meanwhile we stay home and avoid contact with anyone else, I'd really hate to pass this on to anyone......(well almost anyone!) I know.
    Thanks all for the good words!
    Lets' all hope this passes really fast, then we can get on with "preparing" for the next "fall" onslaught they are now predicting!
    Bill

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

15. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

17. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Now that's FUNNY!
    I gotta pass that one on!

19. Quigley_Sharps

The time to be concerned will be next fall after this strain goes dormant and mutates. The mutated version may be the one that does it. This one is following the lines of the 1918 flu. Once the hysteria blows over, it'd be a good time to stock up on provisions if you haven't already.

http://healthmap.org/swineflu
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

20. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That would be a very good idea for all of us, even if you think you have everything you need, pick up some more food. We might have to hunker down in place while this thing blows over, and that could take a long time.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7