Cell Phone Providers

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So which providers do the monkeys use?

I went full circle. Was with Verizon decades ago. Noticed their coverage was far and away the best. Wasn't the cheapest though. What go me to move was the customer service that I got. Needed a new phone and called in asking to see what deals there might be. I was out of contract. But the rep basically to me tough doodies pay retail. Even if that was the case, maybe a nicer manner would have been good. So it just so happen that a lady I met represented T-Mobile. Gave me and my office a great deal on phones and service, so I switched. Was satisfied until they had an issue with their voicemail system. Messages were coming in days to a week late. For business, no bueno.

When I got an iPhone about ten years ago, I switched to AT&T because T-Mobile was not going to offer the full slate of iPhone features with their plan. Over the years, I find that the coverage was poor to non-existent in many areas. And not the cheapest.

With all the Pure Talk USA hype, we wanted to use an American company with a veteran owner. The hype was they use AT&T towers and service. Said coverage and speed might be better than AT&T. Also touted a much lower price point. We had Pure Talk for two weeks. Coverage was not better than AT&T, especially where we needed it. Data speeds were horrendous at best, zero at worse. Come to find out, they only offer bare bones service and things like data hotspot are a la carte. So when you add it up, not cheaper. Worse, the data speed was was like dial up even before we use our allotted amount.

So we switched back to Verizon. Super coverage, great data speed for cellular, and with a business plan, very reasonable.

A sampling of Verizon's data speed. Very acceptable. Pure Talk was 0 to 0.2. AT&T was around 5-15.

Alanaana, duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Verizon has no signal here. The customer service sucks here too but that is because of the people in the area, not the company. Pretty much everyone's customer service in this area sucks.

I use google fi for the signal. They bounce off everyone's towers. I travel a lot and it is the only one that has GPS signal everywhere I go. However 50' from any body of water loses the signal. Costs about $15/mo... with a lot of data and 2 phones around $65-45/mo.

Hanzo and duane like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Been with AT&T from the start, as they are the one of two cellular outfits to have coverage out to the Alaskan Bush were we lived..the other was an alaskan outfit, but there coverage was way to spotty in our AO... When we travel AT&T was always there along the main Highways, and our HotSpot always worked for our iDevices... Yea, Cost was higher than the cheaper joints, but always had good speeds and coverage, where we needed it...

T. Riley, beemerphill, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I use cricket unlimited plan cheap and easy 3 phones 114 a month with insurance 5G service

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

We use AT&T but signal in our area is crap but all service providers are crap out this way. We started with them when we arrived and got off the plane and just stayed with them.

Hanzo and duane like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

was AT & T since the early 70s - added lines when faxing and dial up internet came along >>>> BOOM - a couple years ago they just got to the point of being totally unable to deal with - dropped internet - then cell phone and landline followed .....

Consumer Cellular had an eazy sign up deal thru Target - gave them a shot and it's worked out fine - couple initial goofs but taken care of with a single call to customer service ....

7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I've used Sprint (back in the 2G days, with my "candy bar" phone), AT&T (still 2G) and Virgin Mobile (on Sprint's towers, with my first smart phone). Currently using Republic Wireless (on T-Mo/Sprint towers). And they've been great....but recently got bought out by Dish.....and their prices went up. Was paying $20 + taxes/fees per month (~$24 and change), for a 1 GB data plan with unlimited talk & text, until this month. Now it's over $27.

Thinking of buying a new 5G phone around Black Friday this year (current phone is over 3 years old, and starting to act a little wonky, sometimes), and thinking I might switch to boom! Mobile. They operate on Verizon or T-Mo....but YOU choose which network you want to be on. Thinking that being on Verizon, I'll get better service everywhere, and my cost will be about the same.

Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Been through several carriers, Sprint, ATT, and some smaller ones waaaay back before anyone had a lion's share of the market. Right now we have Verizon. They have been the best coverage and currently have the cheapest plan in our area.

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Verizon is the best for us.
    Our location sucks for coverage, so we use a cell extender. Coverage is excellant and money well spent!!

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Verizon, only because phones, service and truly unlimited internet data are perks with the tower lease. Before the lease At&t but service was hit and miss...... like the moon had to be in the right phase and then you had service for 15 minutes on that day but only if hanging upside down from the 3rd branch up in the big maple tree.

Hanzo, SB21 and Altoidfishfins like this.
  11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Verizon for the last 10 years or so because they have coverage out in the sticks where my property is. Even then it's spotty, but it's as good as it gets. Since I got Starlink this spring I now use the WIFI calling feature on the phone and most carriers support it. Could probably go with a cheaper service such as Consumer Cellular since phone and data coverage isn't as critical with Starlink available.

Starlink has been awesome so far with very minimal downtime, usually in the middle of the night and even then normally lasting less than 5 seconds. I stream TV, music and of course internet only slightly slower than the cable connection at my regular house in the Big City. A quick speed test over my ancient iPhone 6S shows 82 MBPS download and 15 MBPS upload. That's 60 miles from the nearest town of about 30,000.

Had Republic before that. They worked great in the sticks for awhile, then whoever their carrier was dropped coverage in the area. That resulted in zero cell service.

The problems with ATT mentioned by others here seems to reflect issues people in the area of the remote property have had. They've said their service was great, and then for no reason it would drop and stay down for weeks on end.

Hanzo, SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was eyeing out Starlink too. How fast and how much, if you don’t mind me asking. Right now, I have Spectrrum and get north of 300 mbps at about $50/mo.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I just switched to T-Mobile this weekend, after 24 years with Verizon. Full bars but no data, dropped calls, all in the last 6 months. Opened a ticket with them and they claim it is my equipment. Friday night at a HS football game our production trailer also had no data coverage with the on board Verizon hotspot, and nobodies phones could get email and only make calls if standing up in the bleachers. A call to them Saturday morning, and they told me again that they had no problems and it was our equipment, and I explained that THEIR equipment didn't work either. They had no answer. Corporate has decided to go with AT&T, so around 9000 phones are getting switched from Verizon. I opted out of a company phone so T-Mobile for me because of price and my neighbors good luck with them. I sure wish Nextel was still around!

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Tracphone, because that is all that I really need! Mostly I use the phone as an alarm clock and to get someone to let me in the door at work, the rest of the time it is powered down.

Hanzo likes this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Well that's hard to beat, Hanzo.
    I pay 110 / month and get about 120 -132 mbps.
    I'd stick with what you got.
    What is Spectrum? Is it cable or a satellite service? Definitely not available here.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Hanzo likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Cable company. But I do not use their cable service. Only internet.

17. Altoidfishfins

Ahh ok. Starlink is best used (and basically designed for) where cable is not an option.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I have always used AT&T since we moved here. Service isn't good in the park, but I hook my phone up to wifi calling at home and that works well. $30/ month. I like cheap and functional. Before that I had Verizon on the mainland, but overall, I'm happy with AT&T.

I had Spectrum internet service for the first few years and then I fell for the hype and got fiber optic internet from Hawaii Telecom, but I had to get on their case because it seems like they were throttling. After about two weeks of bringing the issue to their attention, it seemed to improve. I run my online businesses on it and my renter also has an an online business.

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7