Cellular Communications Issues

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Yard Dart, Feb 5, 2014.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes, I have short range radios for the family.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Yes, I have short range and long range communications prepared.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. I am a communications guru and have this all sorted out... ask me for help if needed.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

And thus the search for knowledge and the high freq. ticket..
    Einstein was lousy at math as well..

swampbilly likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The issue in Seattle, yesterday, was just MASSIVE Cellular Overload, with over one Million Persons, most with Cellphone, all trying to be connected, to the Master Network Controller, ALL at the Same Time. The software just couldn't deal with that Massive Number, in one area, and CRASHED. We get the same thing happening around here, whenever a Cruise Ship goes by out in ICY STRAIGHTS, in the Summer time. Ours is a very small Cellular Operation, and when you add 2000 People, all wanting to call their Friends, and tell them, that they just Saw a Whale. jump out of the Water, ALL at the same time, It causes our CellSite, on Hoonah Mtn, to get overloaded, and we just get 'No Service Available" Messages until the ship rounds Pt. Adolphus..... ...... YMMV....

Mike, Yard Dart and swampbilly like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Don't feel bad, BT, I too have a math difficulty. I have to understand a need for a type of math before my brain will accept it.
    Word problems? A balloon is 150' above "X" town. "X" is so many thousands of feet away, how far is the balloon? WHO CARES!?;)
    On the other hand, once I understood it was needed for the rise and run of stairs, of the pitch of a roof, then it finally made since.

Mike and swampbilly like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I do not feel so alone now....:D

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I'm kind of in the same boat (big picture) and so is my son. We both work from the outside in. I don't give a tinkers dam (that was for you kell) for the ins and outs of something until I know WHY I NEED TO KNOW IT. Tell me how this is going to affect my every day life and/or put food on the table.

My son had the hardest time for the last two years until I figured that out and then I would sit down with him and take EVERYTHING about 20 steps further than he was being taught just to get him to see the big picture. Then he could understand why, for example, addition mattered (yes, it was that simple) or why you had to go to so many decimal places when converting between metric and english (first Mars mission that splattered itself on the south pole anyone?).

For me, if I don't see how I could EVER even remotely use it...pfffft, fuggedaboutit.

6. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

It would have been hard to saturate that small are with sufficient COWs (Cell on Wheels) to provide adequate coverage. As for the reliability of the cellular structure, it will stand and work when much of the fiber and land line comms are down to broken fibers/cables. We have found, through real time emergencies, that the cellular network is typically there (a site or two may be down temporarily or backup generators might need to be towed in) but the network as a whole has survived numerous storms, fires, floods, and earthquakes and soldiered on. In NYC the cellular net was hurt because many of the microwave links went thru the top of the WTC buildings. There was a lot of gear up there that went down with the buildings. That has been addressed now.

I hated math, absolutely abhorred it. Skipped going to college because I hated math. So what did I do? Joined the Army as a Strategic Microwave Systems Repairer 26V. Guess what electronics is all about???????? My dad thought that was the funniest thing. The two fields of study that use very very large numbers and very very small numbers... electronics and astronomy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Dont, swampbilly, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  1. JA40
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Southbound
  4. hitchcock4
  5. Bandit99
  6. Garand69
  7. Bandit99
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. BTPost
  11. scpn
  12. Hanzo