Cellular Phone RSL App?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Aug 6, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Does anyone know of an App that lets you display the actual RSL level that your phone is receiving from the connected Cell Site? I have searched in the App Store and haven’t found anything... The Connection Bar Graph just doesn’t give me much information... I have a Cellular HotSpot that does give this type of display, and it is very informative... Any Ideas??

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, I am interested also as want to move my cell booster antenna as don't think the guy that installed it got it on the optimum location. I looked at the cost of a Cell Signal meter but too much just to be used once or twice.

3. bpaintx

bpaintx Monkey+++

you used to be able to view the signal strength in the developer options.

4. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

On Android there is "Network Cell info Lite".
    It gives you the strength in negative decibels. Closer to zero is a stronger signal. Right now I am getting -104 dBM. On closer inspection, it also shows:
    4.0 RSSNR
    -10 RSRQ
    -104 RSRP
    I don't know all of those abbreviations.
    I use it if I am traveling abroad to know which cellular band is being used as well as the strength.

If you are looking for an Apple app -- I think that Apple specifically restricts those, which is why they do not exist (or so I have been told).

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

On my cellular HotSpot, one bar is -118dbm... Two bars is between -115 and -109dbm.... Three bars is between -107 and -99dbm.... and four bars is above -98dbm... At the Blue cabin, up on the mountain we typically are one or two bars, with occasionally three bars... At the White Cabin down at the Cannery, we get three bars, on the low side and mostly four bars and above -85dbm... These are all using a Dualband Wilson Booster w/External Antenna, and a small indoor Patch Antenna right next to the HotSpot... I will be replacing the No-Name Booster at the Brown cabin, up the mountain, with the same model Wilson Booster as at the other two cabins next week, once the SMA female/F female Adapter, from Amazon arrives onthe MailPlane... In doing this reinstall, I will get rid of 30ft of RG6 on the outside Antenna, that is coiled up, just before it comes into the cabin, and another 30ft of RG59, on the inside antenna... Cutting 60ft of RG6 out of the system should make a significant difference, as that coax really sucks at 1.9Ghz, where the 4G systems operate... The old system worked on occasion, but this new setup should increase the RSL available to cellular devices inside the Brown cabin.. I will be able to compare RSLs from the Blue, and newly reinstalled Brown cabin, buy using the HotSpot and my iPad.. I will update this thread, when I have that data...

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7