Census 2010

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Folks, it looks like the time has come for talking about the census. Go here
    http://2010.census.gov/2010censuspdf/2010_Questionnaire_Info_Copy.pdf
    for a peek at the form they want us to fill out as proposed thru today.

Now, I ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but there are some things that make no sense to me at all. For example, why ask a person's age and birthdate? (Q-7) Looks like a waste of printer's ink to me, unless the census counters are deficient in math. (In which case, it's time for new counters.)

Just to provoke discussion, the Constitution requires a head count, but doesn't seem to me to call for anything more than that. Why all the other questions? Particularly, what has the financial arrangements for home ownership (Q-3) to do with a body count? And it remains unclear to me what race has to do with representation and political districting.

Question 2 is sorta stupid, if question 1 is answered accurately. Is this a test of basic intelligence or a head count?

Q-4 is, on the face of it, silly. How hard is it to count up check boxes?

Q-5 can be argued 'till hell freezes over. This is a body count, not so? Of what relevance is my name? (FWIW, there are at least 7 others that can be found on line with my same name and middle initial, 3 of which also have my middle name.)

Qs-8 & 9 are nonstarters for me, too. Since when does race or ethnic origin matter in representation and political districting?

Q-10 are another take on 1 & 2. How hard can it be?

FWIW, I have been unable to find anything credible that ties ACORN to the census taking, questionnaire design or anything else. Now, IIRC, Congress is obligated to collect the data, and there seems to be nowhere that they are allowed to contract the collection to any politically active organization, which ACORN certainly is. I'd have no problem with using a commercial polling outfit, say like the Pugh organization.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well this form is not as objectionable as I was led to believe it would be, but they will still only get limited data from me.
    question 1 answer 1.
    question 5 answer my last and first name.
    question 6 answer male.
    question 7 answer 59 07/22/1950.
    question 10 answer no.

questions 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, and all other pages either
    Not Applicable, or NRBC (not required by Constitution)

[dunno] JMHO of course, but this amount of information is little more or less than I would willingly give the enemy if captured. [dunno]

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

#1 Only. If they can find me.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Really? Do you not find census information helpful? Have you never relied on it to gather information, make a decision, or teach a child? Don't you want the information that you seek (or teach) to be accurate? I sure do.

Before I make a decision to move, I want to see some statistics to see if it's worth more detailed searching. How densely populated is the area? What's the median income? etc.

Most of what we learn about our world is based on census-type answers. Population growth rate, primary religions, racial and ethnic diversity of different regions are focal points of education.

It seems [to me] that accurate census information is pretty important.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7