Ceramic blades

Discussion in 'Blades' started by ghrit, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I keep seeing these things for sale here and there, but haven't played with one. Anyone have any experience with ceramic blades? Looks interesting, if nothing else. Sharp, I believe, it is a question of how fragile they might be. And how would you sharpen one?

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They won't take much of a side impact but they're supposed to cut all day. I'd sharpen as I do any other knife.

3. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

They will cut meat like butter. If you cut through the meat and hit something hard with any force the blade will chip. If you try to twist or pry the blade will snap. They are a total pain to sharpen because they're harder than the sharpening stone. Fancy toys.

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

They're pretty tough considering they are ceramic...
    Cut like a dream... just don't abuse them...
    Use a diamond hone and sharpen like you would any other knife... razor sharp...
    Cool stuff... sort of a specialty knife...
    Hope that helps...

5. Ready

Ready or getting there...

They are tougher than you would think, but have thier purpose. With a wooden or plastic cutting board, I have never had to sharpen mine and its been through a lot of beef. I have abused it a little, but remains perfect though I would not want to drop it on a tile floor or pop a lid off a jar with it. mine was a gift from family, or i probably would not own one. The weight feels right in your hand as well.

6. kkeegan

kkeegan Weapon Stockpiler

No medal detector either :D

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Old thread I know, but I got 2 ceramic kitchen knives for Christmas. They are CRAP.

Yes, the cut like a dream when fresh out of the package, and for the first few weeks. Now, well, I forgo them and use the traditional metal blades. They dulled quickly. The MFG has a lifetime warranty, may try sending them back.

How dull are they? Wont cut a tomato without crushing it, can't get through an avocado skin. Per the directions on the package the knives were hand washed only.

Now I'm sure, just like traditional metal knives, some manufacturers are better than others, but at least with metal I can easily put on an edge before using.

Tracy likes this.
  8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Thanks for the honest review kd.

9. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

only 2 things will sharpen ceramic
    1 Ceramic stones
    2 Diamond stones
    Because the ceramic is harder than everything else

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

bump

Meat likes this.
  11. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

I use ceramic cutting blades on my grooming clippers . the Ceramic holds an edge longer, (assuming used on clean coats.. not so well if running through dirt & grit) cuts smoother and can swap out with dull metal blades as it will resurface the metal side without having to send away for sharpening,

Downside is if you drop the suckers they have a tendency to shatter or snap & its much easier to break a tooth of you hit something hard enough like a fishing barb (Don't ask why the dog had a fishing hook in its coat, you'd be surprised at some of the stuff ive found:cautious:)
    Based on that id tend to veer away from the knives as mine generally hit the floor sooner or later.

Meat and Ganado like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have broken one that accidentally hitting the floor, went in half .
    Trying to figure out what to do with the remaining blade .

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Bought a Boker ~20 years ago. Someone stole it from my table at a gun show. It was shaving sharp and cut well but I was scared I would break it. I would not buy another.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7