Cetme conversion to 22 LR install?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by groovy mike, Apr 16, 2009.

1. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

The 22 conversion kit advertised in Cheaper than Dirt says no gunsmithing required to drop the kit into a cetme or HK91 clone. It seems to fit in my cetme perfectly except I can't get it to function at all....

The bolt stays to the rear when retracted. When I manually push it forward, the trigger will "fire" but the round in the chamber shows no impact. Any suggestions?

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I also wanted to purchase one for my Cetme, but what I found out is that the original conversions made by HK will not work on the CETME's due to the differences with the trunion, bolt, and the carrier. Even thought some of the parts can interchange between the HK and the Cetme. The above pieces are not interchangable.

I wish you would have inquired here before you laid out that kind of change to buy one and why CTD keeps advertising that they will work with the Cetme's is a blantant form of false advertising.

3. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

aw crud. That makes 2 strikes. I bought it to go in the FA91 HK clone but it doesn't fit at all. After seeing the ad I tried it in my cetme. Guess I just need to hold it until I get a PTR91............

Thanks for the info :)

4. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

ok, got the ptr91 and tried to install it seems to drop in perfectly but after the first round fires, the bolt stays back until I remove the trigger group. Anybody have any ideas?

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got an idea that I won't be buying a drop-in Cetma .22 kit fro Cheaper Than Dirt; thanks for the warning.

6. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

This is the HK factory made military conversion kit for teh HK91 rifle. It will not work in the Cetme, but it SHOULD work in the PTR91... and other HK91 clones.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Maybe that's the essential problem. The conversion kit is made for the 'factory HK' rifles. NONE of the clones have factory receivers, as all are parts kits installed on after-market US-made receivers. Must be some manufacturing differences not allowing it to function.

8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

And that may be the problem, that conversion unit may not be a factory HK production, but a reverse engineered copy manufactured by God only knows.

9. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

I found this posted online and it worked.

I had issues using a 91 kit (the 91 kit is different from G3 kit) in my PTR and after comparing it to my Factory 91, I determined that the issue was the PTR-made hammer: It is flat at its top and the HK Factory hammer is convex. This makes a difference because the flat hammer slightly hits the lower side of the carrier and thus does not get a clear and hard hit on the pin. It is an easy fix: I ground my PTR hammer down to match a G3 hammer.
    The only issue I see if you need to have both hammers to compare them.

I pulled the trigger group out of my FA91 and saw that the hammer was slightly different than the PTR hammer.

So I swapped them, and WOOHOO! It works perfectly.

In case anyone else encounters this problem, here is another option that I have not tried but I'll cut and paste it here in case someone searching for a solution finds this post later.

"There are 2 conversion Kits... They are pretty much identical other than the length of the tube at the rear of the bolt follower.

The one with the longer tube is the one for the HK91.
    They both work on a HK91 or a true G3... or even on a HK91 with a sear.
    The only difference is that the HK91 version works better on a HK91. The reason is that the HK91 hammer (when it is cocked) sits higher than a cocked G3 hammer. So when the HK91 is manually cocked, the bolt carrier can travel too far to the rear if using a G3 .22 conversion. Then, the bolt carrier gets caught behind the hammer.
    To rectify this, the HK91 .22 conversion has an extension at the rear of the bolt carrier which prevents it from being pulled back far enough to get caught behind the trigger. Some people put about a 2" section of rubber tube over the recoil rod behind the G3 conversion, which does the same thing.

The issue only is while cocking manually. Once cocked manually, the bolt carrier sits still, even durring recoil... only the smaller .22 bolt moves inside the larger carrier.
    So.. in a nut shell... both the G3 and the HK91 conversion both work in either a HK91 or a true G3. It's just that a HK91 conversion is a little better thought out."

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

gunkid5hn.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My Century-built CETME has a quite nice trigger pull, better than most semi-autos. And in six years of ownership and several thousand rounds of shooting has proven as reliable as an AK with far superior accuracy. Works for me. Not all of us are caught up in the AR15 frenzy, and will actually look at and try other weapon platforms. The HK/CETME is as good as ANY.
    I do wish there was a good .22 conversion kit for my CETME...... I have considered fitting a .22 rifle barreled action into a hollowed out Airsoft shell. Theoretically, it should work.... after a LOT of work! ;)

Cephus likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7