Chain Saw Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yeah yeah, I’m from a family of loggers but I went another direction. My 032 Stihl needs to be retired. I can’t think of a more important tool right now and forever. I need an all around saw that can do its thing for a long time. In our trade it’s always Stihl it seems. Maybe that’s the way to go. Thank you in advance. :D

2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with a Stihl chain saw. I have 3 of them.

Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Echo is easier start.

Meat likes this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Husky makes some good stuff, lasts well in service.

Dont and Meat like this.
  5. Srchdawg-again

Srchdawg-again Monkey++

I have a couple of Stihl's and love'em.....But we have huskys and stihls both at the FD and it seems like every time we have a tree down the husky rancher ends up in my hands, both are good.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  6. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

I love my Echo,would like to get a bigger one.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Go with the Stihl, you will not be sorry....

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have two Husqvarnas, both have truly perform. Many say they are hard to start but I have found if you follow the directions exactly - bingo! I never had a problem with starting them. I guess if I didn't use Huskies then I would look at Stihl but I am not sure where Stihl saws are made now...

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have both Stihls and Husky, it all comes down to what you are going to be doing the most! For the Heavy work like Falling and Bucking, nothing beats a Husky, they are a little slower, but that Monster Torque really digs out the chips, for high speed limbing triming, clearing, and other general needs, they don't get better then Stihl! I find the best saws in the 390 to 460 range, with the preference toward which ever is lighter! My Huskys tend to run in the larger size range, and are a touch heavy, but not all that bad at all! The Stihls can start getting heavy as well above the 360 sizes! DO your homework before hand, and don't forget the correct Oregon Chain for your intended jobs, the right pick in chains is really going to make that saw fly and improve it's performance!

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Meat like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I pretty much only use stihl chains.
    Only Oregon chains I'll buy are the carbide tipped ones.
    I use stihl carbide and homogeneous steel alloy chains.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have both Stihl and Husky, at 82, I am getting to prefer the lighter weight of the high reving Stihl, but the big bar Husky with it slower speed will cut a lot of wood. Still want both, lots of spare chains, supplies and even about to be willing to buy the long term storage canned fuel. I have used it and it does what they claim, at least in the short term. Best way I know to optimize your chainsaw in case of SHTF, is to have the wood cut and split in your woodshed.[coldfire]

Gator 45/70, SB21, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If you can find a late production 70's HomeLite in the 260 to 390 range, grab it! Those Old Homelites are bomb proof, run for ever, and pack some serious power in a small and light package! I have a custom racing 390 Homelite that will out cut any commercial saw! It sucks to start, but boy does it cut, it's perfect ( built specifically for) emergency use!

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Earlier on I was going to mention an old Homelight my Dad had years ago before I was old enough to use one ,, it was a pretty big saw , had a blue and silver magnesium or cast aluminum case ,,, I think it was . He would use it all the time , but he always had a hard time getting her fired up ,, he had it for years ,, then went to Stihl .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was considering that one too YD. Thanks. :D

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Good info everyone. Thanks. Lots of fun ahead. :D

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  18. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I now have Stihls. I used to work in an Echo shop years ago repairing hundreds of Echos and lost my Husqvarna and a Mac in a fire 10 years ago. I won’t make any general recommendation to just buy a particular brand. The reason is various models within a brand are better than others. For example I have a Stihl MS311 that starts on 1 or 2 pulls every time, great saw that I highly recommend. But my Stihl MS170 which I love because of its light weight is a bitch to start and that is a common complaint for that. I can not recommend a Stihl MS170. Echo or Husq may well have a model equivalent to the MS170 that might be a better purchase.
    When I worked in the Echo shop years ago, it was the same thing. Some models were clearly better than others and price wasn’t much of a predictor.
    Best I can say is get a name brand. Search for lots of reviews to see if a model you are considering has a bad reputation and pick a name brand with a couple good dealers close by. Maybe check price of chains with the dealers also.
    Part of the reason I picked Stihl is its generally a very good brand and Rural King which is 2/3 of an hour away sells them. RK prices are very good (their gun prices are really hard to beat). Stilh brand chains at Rural King are 2/3’s or less the price than the other local dealers and I can get Stihl chains as cheap or cheaper than “will fit” chains like Oregon at the other dealers.

Bottom line, do a bit of homework.

AT

19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I bought an MS 211 with an 18 inch bar a couple years ago . It's got that EZ start system on it .It's not a bad little saw , I wish it had more torque . If I were to get another , which I need to , it will be at least a 271 . Let us know what ya get ,,

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

MS 261 Chainsaw | Professional Use Chainsaw

We have 7 Stihl saws here
    maybe more if i count the Alaska Mills but they run milling chain and are huge engines..
    So the 260/1 with a 20" bar is the best balanced one for myself 2 of those , 290 ,391 ,460
    ms138T plus a few electric ones that plug in . We go down to the rechargeable that are POS in my eyes ..
    You can adjust bar length to what your cutting etc.. many sellers need to just sell what I need.
    I know you need to borrow a few to find your balance ,,Your softwood area I take it ?

Sloth

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7