Chain Saw Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ace Hardware carries Stihl. I’m leaning that direction because if something goes awry I can usually charm the lady at the returns counter. Good to go. Sometimes I’ll even shower in advance. :D

Ura-Ki, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I haven’t had much luck convincing BTPost to adopt me. Would you consider the request?:D

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have the orange one 18'',Does what I need doing.

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

One question. Do folks here run non-ethanol in their saw these days or nah? Warranty crap comes to mind as well.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, we only have None Ethanol Gasoline.... So we are lucky in that respect...

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If you don't then you're asking for it !!!

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I don’t worry about the gas because I don’t let it sit in my saws for months.
    So, when done cutting and if I don’t anticipate cutting again within the next week or two, then stop saw, open fuel tank and pour out remaining fuel. Restart saw and run until it quits. Keep fuel in a stout metal can like the Eagle safety (meaning sure spill) can and the ethanol is no big deal.

AT

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Border is closed , Im in Canuk land ...
    I live on large acreage of forest . Every job requires a certain saw ,,my 026 /260 is my go to saw on the ground , the 183 is my saw in the bucket (man lift ) or electric if the Elly is close ..
    Go to a rental shop and try a few out , Its a big thing .
    Fuel I use at any aircraft area , 100 /140 octane and I use full synthetic oil for the pre-mix oil ..52-1 ..
    My saws have gallons of fuel put through them , just fuel hoses and filters are the large maintenance items , as chains ...
    Here is the file to buy for the chain and driver the saw has :
    2 IN 1 Easy Chainsaw File Sharpener 7/32 5.5mm For Stihl 3/8"P .404" chains 6918054574986 | eBay

[​IMG]

Sloth

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't do it, only run Non-Ethanol in your saws and other small engines! That stuff will kill a chain saw faster then any other abuse other then forgetting the pre-mix! I burned up a brand new Mercury outboard when forced to run that snake oil, cost me $7500 in repairs NOT covered under warranty!

Meat, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

I only run non ethanol in all my small engines,it helps living near a major lake,many non ethanol stations near me.

Meat, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

It’s beautiful. MS 271 Farm Boss. $30.00 off so it pretty much covered tax. Thanks again for the posts in response. It’s a great day. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I bought a 391 and burned the piston. Took it in and was told no ethanol premium only or the new saws break. Looked at the pre mix in my local dealer and it is either 92 or 95 octane, Been running my old 029 on 87 for years and it did fine I guess the new one cant do that anymore.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was I instructed specifically by the sales guy to use non-ethanol. I know it’s best but thought about warranty. I’m still in the process of reading the manual and etc etc. Nice to have a saw that’s good to go for a long long time. Being a cheapskate isn’t always cheaper in the long run. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7