Challenge to all Survival Monkeys

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Motomom34, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I challenge all monkeys to locate and name 3 wild edibles in your immediate location. SHTF, garden failed and you need to eat. Look around, locate, educate & share. I should have done this in the spring or summer but since you have to eat all year why not now. I think it may be harder during the fall but take the challenge.

If you have more than 3 edibles in the area you live then great, please share.

* Wild animals can be named but they are not what I am looking for

** Pictures are great

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Huckleberries, wild blueberries and blackberries are just at the tail end of their edible season right now but plentiful; especially the huckleberries. Dandelions are prolific and edible, but I would have to be very hungry. Someone close by has bees, all I'd have to do is follow them to the hive. There are clams and mussels to be had in the river and on the ocean beaches.

3. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

There's a nearby field where wild onions are so prolific that when they mow it, it makes my eyes water. Wild onions, wild garlic, and wild chard are pretty standard year round out here. I'm new, so if this is obvious, blah blah, what's "AO"?

Dunerunner, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Wild and available in my area right now.
    Mimosa leaves. You can boil the young leaves and eat them. Blossoms are edible too but they're not blooming now. I have two huge trees in my back yard.
    Yucca roots. Yucca is all over the place here and it's high in carbs like potatoes. You can serve it like you would potatoes too, fried or mashed works just fine.
    Nopal cactus. Again, it's everywhere. You can grill up the pads or even eat them raw in salads. I'd rather not, but if I had to there's a million of them around. I have a big patch out by the fence and of course they grow wild all over the place.

There's also lots of dandelion, plantain, and assorted weeds plus mesquite beans about but I went with the easiest to find in large quantities in one place that I can get to in 15 minutes of walking. Plus a huge prairie dog colony at the end of my street. :D

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

AO is a military term meaning area of operation. The military terms threw me a loop as well, when I came here. We have a heavy concentration of military people here, so it seems normal to them.

M118LR and Seepalaces like this.
  6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Cat tails, blackberries, pine nuts.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I removed the term AO from my post. Sorry @Seepalaces for the confusion. Thanks- @kellory & @Yard Dart for clearing that up. I appreciate it. So any wild edibles in your area?

Not buying it @Tobit. BS answer. I am from New England and I can name off many edibles from that part of the country. Look at your trees Tobit. Even if you are in the ghetto there are things growing. Look and learn.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dandelion, plaintain, ferns, hickory nuts, Queen Anne's Lace. Acorns. Others, but I haven't tied them down yet. Note, all are seasonal to a degree.

And, uv cuss, fresh road kill in season.

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

All cactus fruit is edible. Southwest barrel cactus fruit tastes very similar to bell peppers. Saguaro ( the cactus with the big arms seen in old cowboy movies) fruit has a flavor similar to watermelon, only with a million tiny seeds - fiber. Manzanita berries, acorns and hackberries (hackberries are quite tasty, resembling the flavor, size and consistency of sweet peas but red or orange in color when ripe.) Pine nuts in higher elevations.

If you want meat, lizards, quail, dove, cottontails, tweety birds, ground and tree squirrels, pack rats, kangaroo rats.

Nice quiz, moto. Bet you'll get a ton of responses.

Ditch Witch taught me a new term for Prickly Pear cactus. Never heard it called Nopal. Tons of it here. You can cook and eat the pads as well as the fruit. Young pads are preferable.
    Thanks DW!

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Blackberries maple stinging netttles cattails pine nuts honeysuckle acorns queen anne's lace (which is wild carrots. Onions cat tails mushrooms apples grapes mulberries sassafras just to name a few. Also medical things growing here.

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Guy we know uses the fruits to make Texas Tequila. :D But the fruits are all kinda dried up and crappy now, at least they are here.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Altoidfishfins like this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

They're pretty well gone here too. I have a large beavertail version of the same growing in the alley, they have the same fruit as the variety with the round pads. I cut pads off and plant them along the outside of my wall where they grow readily, forming a "desert mote" along with century plants. It discourages individuals from getting too close (ouch ooch oww) :sneaky: evil laugh.

Hmm, Texas tequila? Could that be a fermented juice of the (ahem) Nopal fruit?

Motomom34, Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Canadian Thistle- Edible and medicinal properties of invasive weeds- Canada Thistle | V I Farms

Clover, nettles, prickly lettuce, yucca.

Chokecherries- (chokecherry is alternately arranged on the twig. Chokecherry fruits hang together in a cluster called a raceme,) Due to a wet spring no choke cherries this year.

Quaking Aspens- The starchy inner bark and the bitter-tasting catkins are edible and were a food source for Native Americans.

Ganado and Altoidfishfins like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Lilli Pilli http://anpsa.org.au/APOL15/sep99-6a.html
    [​IMG]

An Australian native, It grows wild in the outback, (Usually as a tree), but fairly common as a hedging plant in urban environments. Has a pleasant, refreshing, slightly astringent taste. Can be eaten raw, or made into a jam (jelly). Has a small seed which should be discarded.
    The Blooming Lilly Pilly

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Pig Face (Carpobrotus)
    Introduced species (to Ausrtralia)
    upload_2015-10-7_6-46-31.

Fruit is edible: Leaves have medicinal uses. As a succulent, the moisture can be harvested by crushing the leaves and collected via solar still. Introduced species to Australia, often found in urban gardens.

Carpobrotus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Warrigal Greens - Tetragonia Tetragonoides( also called New Zealand Spinach)
    [​IMG]

A herbaceous plant, cooked as for spinach. Grown most commonly as a ground cover in urban environments, but also found in the wild.

Carpobrotus - Pigface

Gardening Australia - Fact Sheet: Subtropical Success

For more information about Australian bush tucker...the following link will take you to a useful resource.
    Survival, Self Sufficiency and Sustainable Living

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I can name acorns off the top of my head.

16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Dandelions, blackberries and pine nuts...and acorns for the bonus.

That's in my yard.

[peep]

17. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Cattails abound in the swamps, I know of three apple trees growing wild, one is roadside the other two 1/2 mile back from the nearest trail and one is near a wild chestnut tree. Low bush blueberries. Wild grapes (next town over). Lakes, ponds and streams all have varied panfish. Squirrels like crazy, cottontails here are on the rebound and I've started seeing them on my woods walks. Occasional deer & turkey.
    All within three miles.[coo]
    Processing acorns into something edible is a colossal PIA. NO!!
    I forgot about things like wild garlic, onions, queen anne's lace & plaintains.[OO]

18. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

asian plums, wild blueberries, blackberries, dandelions, wolfberries, chestnuts, crabapples, cattails, chickweed, nettles.

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

All of our blackberries and muscadines are WAY out of season. I'm jealous.

Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yep, too late in the year for those here as well. But acorns, pecans, dandelions...nearly that time of year. Not imcluding the fish in the bayou, the crawfish in the ditches, and lake crabs ;)

1. runswithdogs
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. marlas1too
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. H.I.S Survival
  9. Ganado
  10. Bishop
    Swamp cabbage: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 17, 2016, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft