Challenge to all Survival Monkeys

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Motomom34, Oct 6, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

By the way, queen Ann's lace is wild carrots, but by the time it flowers to reveal itself, the carrot has more or less turned into wood. It can be used for flavoring, but not much else. Best to Know where it is, this year, for next year.

Motomom34, Altoidfishfins and Ganado like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's a damn cornucopia out there.
    Apples, acorns, pears, cattails, dandelions, peppermint (went wild and smells great when mowing lawn) ditto for the basil, queen ann's lace, wild carrot, hickory nuts, walnuts, beach nuts. Then there are the squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs, raccoons, possum, deer, neighbors yippy dog and skunk. I'm not eating the last one unless I have to.

domestically there are rabbits, chickens, ducks, turkeys free ranging in my yard.

and there is chickory for some fake coffee. for tea there is sassafras, stinging nettle and mullein.

I don't know why the hawthorns and wild roses didn't fruit this year but there would have been some vitamin C there. I guess I'll just eat the leaves of the black berries and raspberries if I'm feelin' the scurvy comin' on.

3. Videodork

Videodork Monkey

Within 100 yards, dandelions, cattails, and corn.

Motomom34, Ganado and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Black walnuts, Pecans, Hickory, Acorns, Yellow plums, dandelion, muscadine grapes (wild), apple trees, peach trees, cattails, mushrooms broad arrow head, blueberries, wild onions and garlic, not counting volunteer crops that have spread to the wood lines...

Motomom34, Ganado and Seepalaces like this.
  5. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Fireweed, blueberry, watermelon berry, cloud berry.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We have a wealth of wild food here..... huckleberries, strawberries, blackberries, dandelions, mushrooms, onion, and a bunch of other edible plants are around. I also have carrots, kale, potatoes, onion and whatever else I stabbed in the ground, in an area outside of my immediate property.... gorilla gardening in action as part of my routine to diversify. ;)

For the more meaty side of things... we have deer, elk, racoon, geese, duck's, rabbit, squirrel in abundance.... as well as plenty of fish in the lake and the river down the street. :)

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, I sure like Red King Crab that lives right out front in the Inlet..... and then there is Halibut, there as well.... and Brown Trout in the Lake.... Nettles are like spinach.. and Salmon Berries.... then there is AlaskaChicks Fireweed Jelly..... to name just a few.... and that doesn't include Kelp, and Seaweed....

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

How come you boys from the south don't know you can eat kudzu?

I will list what most ppl consider weeds but all of these are edible, most of these are medicinal as well.
    Chickweed
    Purslane
    Nettle
    Lambs quarter
    [​IMG]

Plantain
    [​IMG]

Holly Hock
    Nasturium
    Pinon, nuts and bark
    Juniper
    slippery elm
    wild yam
    [​IMG]

morchella mushrooms

There is food everywhere.

RJB, Tully Mars, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Used to pick and eat lambs quarters when I was a kid growing up back east, wild asparagus too. Asparagus was usually found growing along fence lines where birds would drop the seeds.

None around here though

....and forgot about Juniper (thanks G) berries up at the BOL. Place is covered in junipers and pinion pines (pine nuts), as well as scrub oak that bears acorns that have a buttery flavor. Some varieties of acorns are bitter, not these.

Motomom34, Seepalaces and Ganado like this.
  10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Cattail, acorns, wild onions, pine nuts, pine bark, pine needle tea, bamboo shoots, muscadine grapes, wild blackberries, walnut sap syrup and walnuts are all on my place. And of course grass, which you can eat if you have to.

Motomom34, Seepalaces and Ganado like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'll be planting muskedines soon, Pecan, Satsuma's, Have Cumquats, Cattails, Blackberry's, Acorns plenty, Big azz 9 pt. Plus other's that will make sausage, Raccoon's that are corn fed. Planning on a dozen chickens and a rooster.
    2 acre pond in the plans'
    Nothing Here to Declare, Sorry.

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Gator 45/70 muskadines. I have not heard if those in a long time. My grandmother made wine from those. It wasn't very good wine but it was drinkable. Thanks for that

T. Riley and Seepalaces like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Did I type muskadines? Sorry, Wild grapes that are sweet DO not grow wild in the South and yield 8–18 tons per acre, Sorry for the misprint.

Ganado, Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Muscidines are what he is thinking of. And the wine is good awful that I have tasted.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Seepalaces like this.
  15. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

That may be an opportunity. If the onions and garlic are not sprayed (organic) you might want to consider harvesting them for sale.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

AO is area of operations. I didn't see anybody answer that.

Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  17. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Plantain, Purslane, Shepards Purse, Huckleberry, Black berry, Elderberry, wild Strawberry, Rose hips, Mushrooms,Crawdads and on and on.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  18. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

In Central Florida we have date palms that are often overlooked. Plus cattails and Nasturtium cattails. datepalm. Nasturcium. .

Motomom34, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Pecans, mesquite bean, acorn. wild onion, a few dewberries left. There's more but now I'm stuffed.

20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Dandelion greens, persimmons, and prairie crab apples. All of them have some serious pucker power, but I could use them for added texture with cat tail "mashed potatoes", or as a paste to smear on our native prickly pear, which seems to be everywhere, and makes me thankful for heavy leather boots.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  1. runswithdogs
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. marlas1too
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. H.I.S Survival
  9. Ganado
  10. Bishop
    Swamp cabbage: [MEDIA]