Chance To Trade Work For Old Mercedes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzarkSaints, May 5, 2010.

1. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

it's the old 1984 Mercedes 300D automatic tranny diesel

what is the deal with the Turbo on old diesels being or not being EMP proof?

I always thought the old ones were EMP proof like on the original Cummins and the late 70;s and early 80's Mercedes, but I just noticed that JWR on survivalblog says repeatedly to buy 'pre-turbo' on the old Mercedes???

if that makes them EMP vulnerable, could ya just easily take off the turbo?

thanks!

and also, my 93 1st gen cummins IS EMP proof even though it is Turbo....correct?:rolleyes:

2. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Turbos, in and of themselves, are not subject to EMP damage. Of course, many turbocharged engines have electronic engine and/or transmission management, and that's your problem. Not sure if the turbo era Benz diesels have electronic engine management, but they probably do. Mercedes fell early and hard for electronics, and are known for being quite complicated cars, electrically speaking.

The pre-turbo Benz diesels are quite a disappointment in the power department, and while there are turbo kits for them, the engines weren't designed for forced induction and may not have oil cooled pistons, etc. that contribute so much to longevity.

Your 1st gen Dodge should be fine. The engine is all mechanical, although I believe the automatic transmissions have an electrically controlled overdrive. Not at all sure if those are vulnerable...

The 2nd gen Dodge 12 valve engine is all mechanical as well, but the automatic transmission has electronic management and that certainly could be a problem.

3. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

hmmmm...JWR says to buy the ones that are pre-turbo 1985 and older....well, it won't cost me anything but time to trade for this, but I need to do some digging around and figure out the EMP situation on 'em

thanks

4. Monty

Monty Monkey+++

If anything use it to run back in forth to town and fuel it on waste veggie oil or I even read of people running them on filtered used motor oil cut with gas.

Otherwise get the car and sell it off to turn a profit then by something else that you could use:)

5. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

thats the thing bud, don't wanna use it to commute to work and get stuck an hour away from my family cause it wasn't emp proof....but yeah, can always sell it if it turns out not to be!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7