Changes in Store-bought Corn?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by weegrannymush, Nov 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I use a fair amount of frozen corn and, occasionally, canned corn. The brands I buy are Green Giant and No Name. A few months ago, my son and I started noticing that the flavour and texture of the frozen corn (No Name) was very different from usual and was in fact, practically inedible. I switched to Green Giant but found the same changes. So I opened a can of Green Giant corn today and lo and behold, it is the same as the frozen......there is hardly any "corny" taste at all and when heated it looks very dull, not bright yellow. It is very chewy in texture. I have tried several ways of cooking it to see if that would help, but it didn't. Not nice at all.....used to look forward to eating the stuff but no more.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know that older folks lose a lot of their ability to taste accurately but my son is not old (50) and he loves corn, but alas, no more. I bought locally Ontario grown corn at harvest time for corn on the cob and it tasted just fine to us, same as usual. Can anyone give me an explanation? Would this have something to do with genetically modifying the corn, or what? Over the last few months I have tried several new bags of the frozen corn, thinking I just had bought an "off" bag but they have all been the same. In one word - terrible. And why would this happen all of a sudden out of the blue?

Anybody got any thoughts?

Ha

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

genetically modified garbage thats been frozen before its canned

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yes. GMO's! They are taking over the crops of every farm from the US to many other countries, but are being banned by some!
    If "they" can control the food and water, then they control the world!

4. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

My question is though - have any of you noticed the differences in the corn? I know it is not my imagination but I don't have anyone else to ask....I need to know if you folks are noticing anything at all? The thing is: I will not be buying any more of this inferior corn, I would sooner go without and will just wait till I can grow some next year. My area is not good for corn and it is too heavy a feeder also (sucks out all the goodness for itself and leaves me having to keep fertilizing) and is not an easy crop to prepare for storage, too labour intensive for old ladies, lol. So if more people get the message about this GM corn, what profit is there for the growers if folks stop using it? Or will everybody be forced to just get used to it...but I am telling you, the stuff we have been eating is not worth the heat it was cooked with! But again, I ask, are any of you noticing the difference, or is it just "moi" as MissPiggy says!

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

i dont buy corn but ive noticed the dif when io eat somewhere else

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Food is big business - my bet is that the companies are sourcing from the cheapest producers, and yeah, taking the GMO crap. Gee thanks, Monsanto..... "Better eating with chemstry"...... [stirpot]

This GMO 'frankenfood' garbage is banned overseas - but how long before the prevailing winds carry the tain to their farmlands? In time, the world belongs to Monsanto. [monkeyeating]

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Maybe not GM food

Here at the Green Giant, we’ve been vegetable experts for more than 100 years. Throughout the past century, our agricultural research team has consistently pioneered innovative vegetable varieties, beginning with a larger pea that became known as the green giant because of its size. We like to say that seed production is an art form; a lot of time, energy and research goes into crafting superior seeds, the first step in growing superior vegetables. From 1969 to 2009, our farmers doubled the amount of corn grown on the same amount of land here in Le Sueur, Minnesota, through better seed selection.

Our goal was to produce more corn on fewer acres, so we worked to develop better corn seeds by testing and growing only the best-producing varieties. Basically, the plant can’t yield more than its seed potential; that’s why we have to find and grow only the best seeds. Each year, we test thousands of varieties to find the one or two that we’ll plant in our fields. When we find a variety that meets our requirements for yield and quality, we’ll grow that variety again the next year and have a trained panel study the harvest to make sure the variety meets our standards for USDA Grade A Fancy.

Since the 1920s, we’ve used our seed vault to store historical varieties of heirloom sweet corn and other vegetables as a way to keep track of where we’ve been and how our seeds have evolved and improved. Today we have between 8,000 and 10,000 hybrid lines and more than 200,000 seed packets that essentially trace the history of the vegetables we’ve grown for decades. Today, throughout our growing season, veggies are monitored weekly, and when the fields are ready and the vegetables have reached that peak of perfection, we harvest around the clock to get our veggies from our fields to your kitchen as quickly as possible.

Green Giant still sources "locally' in the valley around Blue Earth (MN) up to Le Sueur. (Minnesota river valley).

I find it interesting that the company is smart enough to hold heritage seeds - in case the hybrids go south....

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Biggest and best-growing does not always maintain good taste. Too often the produce of today is being grown for LOOKS on the store shelf, not for taste or nutrition. It's why the Farmer's Markets are so popular.

I have noticed canned veggies just don't have the taste that good veggies should have.

1. Bishop
  2. TheJackBull
  3. Motomom34
  4. Hanzo
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Motomom34
  7. BTPost
  8. hidden211
  9. Mindgrinder
  10. fortunateson
  11. fortunateson
  12. tacmotusn