Charities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Red Cross Donations....vs. Salvation Army

<TABLE class=ecxMsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top> As you open your pockets for the next natural disaster or that in Japan, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans
    salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE
    . Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
    96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.
    No further comment is necessary. Please share this with everyone you can.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dragonfly, STANGF150, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Is this confirmed somewhere? I would love to see a fact check so I can decide for future donations.

Very interesting SC. Thanks for sharing this one.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have read this too. I avoid the UNICEF like the plague - ANYTHING involved in the UN is pure poison!
    I have also read many horror stories of the Red Cross. I avoid them.
    Don't really know about the United Way, except their costant fund drives drive me batty - they get a "NO!" from my wallet.

The Salvation Army gets many rave reviews. They get a few bucks from me each year, as do a couple Veteran's care groups.

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  4. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Now what is 4% of 2 billion again .

They are the ones that get my donation as well ,along with the Vets Home in our area .

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yet another dated, viral e-mail Furphy

I wonder at the motives of the person who started this spam e-mail, I would like to think that it wasn't sent by someone affiliated with the Salvation Army with the intention of diverting potential donations from other charities to their own preferred charity. (Edit: On re-reading this variant of the original e-mail, It would seem to be an attempt by some "individual" to discourage charitable donations from being sent to the victims of the recent Japanese tsunami....now...there's someone overflowing with the milk of human kindness....a white supremacist perhaps?? All my comments regarding the core of the original e-mail still stand)

I know that the Salvation Army does magnificent work with the vulnerable and the disadvantaged, but it should also be recognised that the Salvation Army is an evangelical organisation who's primary mission is the spreading of the faith in Jesus Christ. The vulnerable and the disadvantaged are a traditionally productive ground for proselytising Christianity, and as such I would be wondering how much of the funds donated go into direct services for the needy, and how much is diverted into the Salvation Army's evangelical mission. That quotient isn't discussed in the spammer's e-mail.

Urban Legends makes an interesting observation about the Salvation Army as a religious charitable organisation:

Given the apparent opacity of the Salvation Army's accounts, the question ought to be asked.....how much of your donated $$$ are going to direct delivery of secular services to the needy, and how much is being spent on sectarian preselytisation of their faith???

For myself...I have donated to both secular and sectarian charities at different times, though I much prefer giving my money to secular charities that are benefitting humanity rather than sectarian charities that promote unreason.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The people I know who have benefitted from the Salvation Army were never 'preached to', just helped. Not all are atheists, and few bother noting the religious preferences of a charity. When one loses everything in a hurricane, that is of little consequence - the aid is needed NOW. The SA simply has a very good 'track record'. They don't push their beliefs, or a political agenda.

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

It seems that the charity evaluators are as controversial as the actual charities:
    Charity Evaluator rates Charity Navigator 0 Stars

Anyways... I found this here:
    Top-Rated Charities - American Institute of Philanthropy
    You can see good ratings for Salvation Army there under "Human Services". Each of the territories is rated separately and the lowest grade is an "A-". I just dropped Salvation Army a chunk of change. Since we moved, we do not belong to a local church and really haven't found one that felt right. IMHO, that does not alleviate our responsibility. Salvation Army was a good alternative. They carry the message I believe in. I think a lot of the controversy is in the fact that they are a Church, not a charity. They do charitable things, but are still registered as a Church.

This is an interesting topic. I guess the best one can do is look at the multitude of choices and choose one that "good enough" based on the information at hand. If you are a Christian, send up a little prayer and see if it gets answered. I don't think any of them will be perfect. If you leave a digital trail when you give, it will also lessen the chance of corruption. It is sad that I feel I have to state that, but there are bad people in all walks of life.

ETA: Its a bit off topic and I normally don't post my Christian beliefs outside of the Religion forum, but....
    A lot of people don't understand the relationship between their money and their heart. God rewards good stewardship. The old saying goes that "your heart is where your dollar is". It couldn't be more true. God rewards giving with more responsibility. To a non-believe this makes no sense. To some believers, this is hard to grasp because it's counter-intuitive. For believer- 1) stop applying human understanding to the way God works. Once you do that, you are walking in Faith. Strange things start to happen after that. The following is a recent personal story on the subject....

I was not paid for my travel on my last deployment. It has been over a year since my return and I finally put in another voucher in order to get paid. Go figure- the orders I deployed under are good enough for me to deploy and risk my life over, but aren't specific enough for DFAS to pay me. Apparently DFAS doesn't understand that IAG, IRAQI Assistance Group, is actually in Iraq. I was determined to get that money. The voucher kept getting sent back and I kept resubmitting. Anyways... this brings me to Stewardship. As I mentioned ^ earlier, we are in between churches since we moved and have yet to tithe what we should. Essentially we were three pay checks and another special pay behind in tithing. After reading the OP in this thread, I started thinking that what I should do is find a good Christian charity to drop that tithe in the meantime. I did. Here we are one day later... I just received the email with my Advice of Payment for travel over a year old (and it was more than I thought it would be). I can tell you that there is no physical difference in the Travel Voucher from the first time it was submitted it. There was difference in my heart. Not to figure out what to do with the tithe of the travel pay??

Read Luke for more information:
    God has some funny ways of snapping us back to reality.

For non-Christians- sorry for that plug. I don't intend to derail this thread. Giving is good, our own reasons for giving aside.

BTPost and tacmotusn like this.
  8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Actually Vek, the salaries are pretty close to verified by an article on Fortune magazine from somewhere in the early 2000s; I saw the article at the time and remember being pissed about it. I don't remember the amounts but they were disproportionately high salaries for the aforementioned folks. Other than that6, I could care less about it. Snopes has zero creditability here.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7