Charlie Black - the Ernie Pyle of Vietnam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Nov 5, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not sure if there are any members of SM other than ghrit and I (by virtue of our ages) who's lives were directly affected by the war in Vietnam but if anyone is interested, I've just about finished a new website dedicated to the writings and memory of Charlie Black, a war correspondent for the Columbus Ledger Enquirer. I've been able to get permission from the newspaper to publish his articles online so there is some pretty good historical reading. I'm still working on the site but I have started to add a Photo Gallery which will grow in the coming weeks. The goal is to have the majority of the site completed in time for Veterans Day on November 11. If you are interested in history, visit us at charlieblack.net

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

THIS I will look forward to reading. [beer]

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was #6 on the draft lottery when Nixon stopped the draft - he's my favorite president of all! :D

It doesn't matter to me whether I was "involved" or not - I love reading war-related stuff.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Our course you were involved. Even if you escaped the draft, I'm sure you had friends or family who didn't. I have no doubt that you have strong memories of that period in our history. We were hawks or we were doves, we were young or we were more mature, we served or not for a variety of reasons, but we were all involved at some level.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Involved directly or not, everyone in the US was (and still is) affected. It was not our finest hour, and well could have been had the military had it's shackles taken off. VN resembles the Korean conflict in more ways than have been studied when you look at how the political branch ran the military.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Father and Uncle were both Drafted. That was a little before my time as I was merely a twinkle in the eyes of some high school sweethearts.

I am a Vietnam reader though and I will also check this out.

thanks

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7