Cheap reliable SHTF weapon

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by PaleHorse, Oct 18, 2006.

1. PaleHorse

PaleHorse Monkey+++

hey y'all,
    Got a big gun show comming to town next weekend, My big goals are a kimber 45 and a bushmaster ar15, But cash is gonna be strapped, so i wanna keep my eyes open for a steady reliable weapon, the kind where you can fire 10's of thousands of rounds through and never worry about it, but on a budget. Im mainly after a handgun this time, 45 is preferred but not necessary. Any suggestions?

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I would consider a Mossberg 500 shotgun with plenty of buck and ball first, until I could afford a reliable battle rifle and more important, ammunition.
    There are several inexpensive 1911s available that can later be up-graded with better parts. My favorite .45 is an old Norinco that I picked up for a couple of hundred bucks and later added a set of Pacmyers, a pacmyer main-spring housing, McCormick sear, trigger, and hammer, an ambidexterous safety, a Barstow stainless match barrel and bushing, extended magazine release, beaver-tail grip safety, and now Melbo has it getting a set of nite-sights installed for me. It out shoots my Kimber or goldcup hands down.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

XD 45
    etc
    Bushmaster would fit the life line too.

4. PaleHorse

PaleHorse Monkey+++

thnx for the replies, i should have added more detail[loco] I already own a mossberg 500 with a bit of custom work. As far as cheap 1911's goes a little while back i bought a Rock island and what a disappointment the problems where too numerous to mention, I quickly traded in towards the down payment on my springfield champion 1911, about every other magazine or so i got a caseing jammed somewhere. I sold that one. I feel kinda naked without a handgun, I see these various guns on display for 200 bucks or so some revolvers some compact semi's and feel kinda lost, I want something reliable while i save for my kimber. thnx y'all

5. Quigley_Sharps

38 S&W revolvers are found around that much.I use one as a back up toi my Colt 1911

6. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

AK's are the way to fly IMO for reliablity. You can get them in 5.56 for ammo compatability. The .30cal version is my fav.

7. Quigley_Sharps

good point Mags those are really go getters

8. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have and carry Kimbers and love 'em but they're not cheap. I also have the XD-45 and it's hard to beat carrying 14 rounds. For around $500 I'd think about one of those for sure.

SA Mil-Spec is another awesome 1911 that doesn't break the bank.

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Depending on the range you are talking about with 'on a budget', for a rifle I would say an AK would fit the bill best if you can do it but if not then an SKS can generaly be had in good shape well under $200 and especialy if you keep the original 10 round mag and use striper clips, is very reliable. On the handguns a .38 spl or .357 revolver cant be beat for reliability and some of even the S&Ws can be very reasonably priced for used ones.

10. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Get a Glock, you won't be disappointed.

phishi

Someone had to say it ;)

11. Quigley_Sharps

:eek: I KNEW IT WAS COMING! Just thought it would be Melbo :D

12. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:eek: :rolleyes:

13. Seacowboys

or one of those small air horns, they make great signalling devices for help when someone whips your ass for pointing a plastic pistol at them

14. Quigley_Sharps

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: [​IMG]

15. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:lol: :lol: Sea, that telemarketing call ain't even close, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

16. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum Revolver...

Compact, powerfull and good for takedown shots up to 300 yards. It's a good compact substitute for a rifle. $400 to $600 bucks. Shop around. Ric

17. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Oh man... :lol: [ROFL] :lol: [ROFL]

18. Seacowboys

Sorry Phishi, someone had to do it but I thought it would be Quig:D

19. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

He's right....

dammit.

I hate it when he's right. :cool:

[ROFL]

20. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Friend if you do enough reading on the gun boards you will find people who have had problems out of the box with almost every brand of gun , car , fridge , and toaster ever made .

If you want a 1911 that chances are will be 100% trouble free from day one you better pony up a couple of grand and get a custom Ed Brown , Wilson , or Nighthawk . Any 1911 can almost all be made trouble free with a little tweaking but it may need a trip to a good smith or back to the manufacture for that little extra polishing . Or you need to learn about 1911's yourself , you would be surprised at how many little problems you can fix for next to nothing if you just try rather than giving up and selling or trading the gun off .

If you bought that RIA new you should have given Armscor at least one shot at making it right .

Sounds to me like you need a good revolver in 357 .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7