Cheap reliable SHTF weapon

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by PaleHorse, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup. About ten cylinders full will convince you that it will go bang every time, without fail. If it doesn't, you really did find a dog. Wheel guns are da bomb for reliability. (At least my Ruger GP100 tells me so.):D

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Les Baer, when you buy the best you only cry once.

I would have given RIA a call. There are lots of good deal to be found. Check your local papers, thirty nickel, and even the boards. Glocktalk every now and then has a steal. Check their gun classifieds at: http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=39

3. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

AMEN!!!...Can't beat revolvers for reliability.My constant companians are.44 special Charter Arms Bulldogs that I bought several years ago...never had a problem with them....but I do have a few semi autos that I carry from time to time.

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

That really hurt, didn't it.

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm bleeding here....

[violin]

;)

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:lol: :eek:

7. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

.357 Magnum Revolvers. They are also decent for 300 yard...

Kills. A rifle may be too large to carry around during a SHTF situation. Ric

8. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Seems like the only bad stuff I hear about the M1 Carbine are the common myths & misconceptions that are only spread by folks who have never actually owned or fired one.

My gun collection is going to shrink in 2007. My goal is to have less guns, but more quality. Much as I love my SKS, I believe it will be replaced by an M1 Carbine next year.

9. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

The M1 was a super reliable weapon. Its biggest problem was the bolt locking lug was too small by design. this was not discovered until it was well into production, so a special heat-treat had to be done to the bolts to help the life of the weapon. Bill Ruger actually worked on the M1 at Springfield Armory during WWII, which led him to design the Mini 14, which was basically an M1 Carbine with a bigger bolt lug, chambered for .223. The .30 M1 fired a 110 grain bullet at about 1600 fps, IIRC, so the ballistics are similar to a .357 Magnum.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

didnt we win a war or two while using the M1 Carbine? why wouldnt it be a good weapon?

11. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

There were reports of problems with the M1 Carbine in the Korean conflict. Mostly relating to cold weather operation and penetration issues (though much of this has been called into question).

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I dont think it ever did come up but another thought depending on the budget would even be something in the line of a mouser or old mil-surplus bolt gun in a common cal like the 30-06. They dont shoot fast but they do tend to be able to reach out and touch something and you dont get any more reliable or rugged and when many can be had easily under $150 you cant beat the price. They will put the meat on the table and have killed just as many or more on the battle field than any of the new kids on the block. Then when you can you could always add the semi auto for the nitches it fills better.

13. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

old ruskie

got an old 91/30 this thing was the brother inlaw deal of the centry groups are tighter than many sporting rifles and is darn near indestuctable got about $ 125 bucks into the rifle gonna be hard to beat and 7.62*54 is cheap
    [touchdown]

14. E.L.

They are highly recommended by Vasily. [winkthumb] ;)

15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I love my M1 carbine and have absolute faith in it. It will never make the demon black rifle list; just too damned cute, and it is reliable, light recoil, easy to shoulder, and hits what you point it at.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

enfield triggers and bolts are like glass..a less than universal caliber but it is avaiable in surplus lots.and itgot some snort..

17. E.L.

Mosin Nagant. M38 or M44 model. It does not look evil, but it makes one hell of a BOOM and the muzzle flash will scare the biggest of baddies. It's cheap, and so is the ammo.

18. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I'm with Sea here. I've had the pleasure to shoot one and they absolutely rock! Cheap ammo too.

19. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Consider

The SA GI or milspec .45. Charles Daly's aren't bad. Rock Island, or Hi- point. They are around 360.00 on up. I love my Champ. Relliable as a kimber. The Kimber series one is the first ones to come out, if you see one get it. $$

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7