Chevy Blazer vs. Ford Bronco

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Aug 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wish I still had this sweet ride... At least, I still have pictures. :(

D_90-001.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It all depends on the level of "emp proof".
    Are we talking like a lightning strike, cme, a high stratosphere or mid mesosphere tatical fission bomb detonation that fries everything on the ground over a pretty limited area or a mid thermosphere fusion device detonation that takes out the power grid and anything connected to it over most of North America, fries most of the satellites, damaging unshield electrics, damages battery powered electronics with large antennas and jams all radio communications for hours?

The only blazer that would be some what emp proof would be one with a 6.2L diesel engine. The last year those were made I believe was 1989 or 1990, some where in there.
    There were 6.5l diesels with a first generation electronic controlled injection pump but trust me you don't want to mess with those.
    A mid 90's blazer with electric 6.5 down graded to late 80s injector pump tech is possible and often done.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had never heard of those. I looked them up and they are very much like the Blazer and Bronco. I found these old ads for the Trailduster. They have a beverage compartment between the seats. Now a days they do not make the arm rest area as big.

1977-Dodge-Ramcharger-04.

Trail-Duster-7.

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Don't forget the XJ Jeep Cherokees with a 16 year production run. A tad smaller, but a very tight turning radius, easy to work on, many parts fit across several years, and the I6 is bullet proof. Lots of aftermarket parts as they are still popular with the off road crowd. Wish I still had my last one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

I used to have a 1986 ford bronco when I still lived in the US.
    Pretty good right up to the point where it slammed the rods right though the bottom of the engine dumping 5 quarts of oil while doing 60mph down the freeway. And yes I do mean through. Instant terminal:cautious:

Saying that if I coulda gotten one and had the money to rebuild it properly I woulda gotten another but thats around the time I moved over here.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

hqdefault (1). Yep, the Ramcharger's huge between-seats compartment is HUGE! It could hold a decent GHB.
    Mine had the fixed steel roof, but the rear lift door is fiberglass. The rear seat folded forwards to give more cargo space. The Chrysler V8 is darned near indestructible too.
    This pic is a ringer for mine, except mine wasn't lifted.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oh yeah, seen a Chrysler product fried by lighting, Even bent the antenna 90 degrees

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A lightning strike can induce a few volts in to systems where actual lightning strike current never reaches.
    If this is the case don't expect it to survive any kind of man made emp with out issues.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Has anyone mentioned a Dodge Power Wagon? Think "Simon & Simon Investigations". While I always pictured most Dodge trucks as being more of a light duty vehicle, the Power Wagon was an exception.

power_wagon.

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Nice truck, but the OP is about SWB vehicles. ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

While short-wheel based trucks were shown in the OP, I think MM was more concerned about her options being EMP hardened. Of course, I could be mistaken here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have had two. One got totaled and the current one is a tank. They are great in snow, with high clearance and solid in the snow. And easy to fix, the perfect teen vehicle. The only issues are the notorious oil leaks and no place to put a full spare tire. Spare tire either has to go in the back or stapped to the roof. We have the spare on the roof.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, even my Bronco had no working windows at all, which is pretty common for older Fords. What really sucked is the spare tire was in the rear and the only way to access the tire was to smash the rear window because you couldn't get the gate down otherwise due to it having electric windows. So, I kept a little window smasher in the form of a 2' piece of rebar by the seat just in case.

BTPost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

That's how a Jeep marks it's territory. :D

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One of my sons knows about that, and his cousin has become quite adept at changing starters and front banjos.

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The reason Land Rover never made televisions.... They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil! :D

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

I prefer the Ramcharger over the rest. I still have an 85 I may decide to build. Don't bother with the Plymouth Trailduster, same truck and just as good as the Ramcharger, but super rare and not worth the extra $$$ for the name.

The Dodge, Ford, or Chevy can all be built with the older easier to fix, electrical systems. The only catch to that is of you have mandatory vehicle inspections in your state, that could cause problems.

The advice of a car junky would be to choose the most complete and RUST FREE truck that he can afford. Most of the major parts can be found as reproductions, it is the little stuff that will drive you crazy tracking down decent used out of production not reproduced parts.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Asia-Off-Grid

Are there still a lot of You-Pull-It type junk yards in the US? I wonder what kind of parts supply is still available for trucks that old, nowadays?

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  19. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes there's a ton of these places . Sometimes finding smaller parts there are hard to find , those places draw a pretty good crowd and their vehicles get picked over pretty quick.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, lots of upullits around, they even advertise that if they don't have it, they will find it. They usually are an excellent source at not much money IF it is in their yard.

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Thunder5Ranch
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. STANGF150
  6. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7