CheyTac Long Range Rifle System

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RightHand, Feb 24, 2006.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Cool.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[ditto]

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Samples arrived today - here's my favorite
    [center:38925c7118][​IMG] [/center:38925c7118]

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

cool RH

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

6. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Yes sir, Do like the looks of that gun!
    A long thin bullet like the 6.5 Swedish.
    Not as heavy as my 50bmg either.
    Use to shoot softballs at a 1,000 yards with my M-14, but not had a chance to try it with the BMG as yet.
    (that was with Iron sights)
    YES, the FBI already has my phone number!
    Your Bud,

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Softballs at a thousand yards with iron sights? That truly is some impressive
    shooting..... you should video and "youtube" that.

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

So is a "dummy round" only for use against liberals?

(Don't say it; I know: "somewhere theres' a village missing its idiot"...)b::b::

9. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Rather hard to beleive? Like I said, the Army coach called the general and the general had me sign and date the target, then he must have sent it off to the FBI lab in DC. Next thing I knew two MP's through me into a jeep and said that President Nixon was on the phone at the shooting range waiting to talk to me. Now that was hard to beleive, but the MP's were not amused by my laughter. Long story...but all too true!
    Don't feel bad if you don't beleive me......Not many folks do.
    Try me with a shooting question......I'll be glad to talk shop with folks that know how to shoot well. I use to love the days Carlos Hathcox and I would talk about those far away shots :)
    He passed away about 8 or 9 years ago....great story teller!
    Your Bud,

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

y'all gonna sit back and make me resident troll? [troll]

I don't feel bad at all.
    ( So fill us in, what exactly were President Richard Nixon's words on that blustery day????)..
    [fnny]
    No don't bother...tell our "sister" site: These guys focus on shooting
    http://www.handloadersbench.com/

11. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Not that I don't believe you Ommega, not trying to offend you. It's the nature of the internet..... hard to get a feel for someone on a forum instead of face to face.

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

and that would be your old buddy Carlos "HATHCOCK"
    Or were you referring to somebody besides the decorated marine sniper?

13. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

I don't feel bad at all.
    ( So fill us in, what exactly were President Richard Nixon's words on that blustery day????)..

Nixon got tired of waiting so he put the chairman of the joint chiefs (Earl Wheeler) on the phone to tell me that Nixon got called away and that he was instructed to inform me that I was being offered a presidential appointment to represent the USA in the next world Olympic Biathalon.
    The call lasted for about 20 minutes.....Would not accept a no for and answser. Wish I had a recording of that conversation. It would have been easer to have folks beleive me. I'm sure that the FBI kept the info because after I got out in 1969 they sent me a letter to report to their Wilmington AIC where he offered me a job starting at $26,000 with a car and credit card. Not bad for a 21 year old in 1970.

Hope that will help unscrew the story a bit.
    Your Bud,

14. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Hi again Tango,
    Thanks for not making fun of my outrageous claim!
    The only other way to prove the story is to ask my old shooting coach. Think he became a Houston cop.
    Lewis Aguila. Not sure of the spelling, but he was a good guy about not giving me hell for pissing off the chairman of the joint chiefs!
    Anyhow try asking a question about how to make bullets go through the same hole :)
    Your Bud,

15. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

and that would be your old buddy Carlos "HATHCOCK"
    Or were you referring to somebody besides the decorated marine sniper?

The same Silver star vet that served his country with honor!

People that love to shoot and do it well like to be thought of as "shooters",
    Not killers :-(
    The word kill is not the same as the word murder.....
    To murder is to take innocent life without justification.
    Carlos took life to save innocent life!
    He thought I was nuts to NOT go the Olympics. He wanted to go and never had the opportunity and I had the opportunity and declined.

If his son reads this; I want him to know that his fathers biggest concern was for his sons welfare and happiness. He said that his boy just don't listen to him, and I said to keep talking to him anyhow because when your gone he will remember your words of wisdom. I was there at his funeral and he did love his dad! I truly believe his dad was there too!

The lesson here is even though you think that your kids are not listening.....they are!
    Hope all of you guys are at pease with your kids! My kid hates guns....Go figure :-(
    Your Bud,

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Look at it from our side of the monitor...No offense , but if you are truly an olympic class shooter,and How many of those are there in the world never mind the US?. Theres no logical reason that would be impossible..

I'm still wrestling with the 5"softball at 1000 yards.:
    Whats' the best possible resolution of the human eye ? I haven' broken out physiology and the trig books yet but I think a 5" target at more than 1/2 mile subtends ARC SECONDS! Suppose if the front sight blade of an 03A3 actually covers 18" at1000,( read that somewhere) 6" would be the middle third.) that's a feat few humans could accomplish, to suppose one of those few dropped by to flippantly claim oh yeah, did it yesterday. Strains my belief and your "proof was "ask me a shooting question"? You have to admit the fallacy of that logic
    Any 15 year old with a good internet connection can come up with book answers.
    Which olympics did you compete compete in?

**an equally idiotic question**
    of course I could pick a an individual ??who won silver and claim with equal aplomb 'At's me!!).. So it's truly pointless. is not/is too..life's too short.
    Lastly it is "hathcock" had to check my copy "marine sniper"...Whether you can shoot the pubic hairs off a gnat at extreme range or not: I'll just piss-off and reimain unconvinced. In fact I no-longer care, I'm sure you have much to share with the rest of the board simply as a human being; firearm skills or no.. please excuse my rudeness. Most of the other monkeys are less cynical and play with othersn better than I do....

have a nice weekend. Perhaps you can demonstrate at a monkey get together sometime then I'll be more than willing to provide refreshment of the Irish kind. Strike that: You have no reason to prove anything to anybody. especially me...And I'm' going to the davenport Iowa vintage motorcycle flat track race and swap meet for the next 3 days so the board will be remarkably troll less: y'all can carry on without any troll like behavior; to question any of it.

carry on...I' sure there are more than a few competitive shooters here somewhere...[winkthumb]
    [flag]

17. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>Look at it from our side of the monitor...No offense , but if you are truly an olympic class shooter,and How many of those are there in the world never mind the US?. Theres no logical reason that would be impossible..
    Was an Olympic class shooter!
    Earl said that I was, and he also said much more during the 20 or so minutes on the phone call to Fiedberg, Germany.

I'm still wrestling with the 5"softball at 1000 yards.:
    The softball was a visual size reference to the group I shot at a 800 meter 8 foot size target.
    I was bored, so I started shooting at the round metal plate that was on the end of a 10 foot 1x3' board use to show the shooter where the holes were from that far away.
    The black area was about 3 or 4 foot in diameter so we could see it through our nm rear sights.
    Here's a clue for the real shooters out there:
    Use the ghosts to center the front sight and use about five pounds down and five pounds back while not canting.
    First establish a natural point of aim by closing your eyes while you are near center target, reposition as needed.
    Take up your pull as you are on exhale at an imperceptible rate. ( NOT what the Army book says)
    If you are able to call your shots 90% correct; you will begin to improve with time.

Whats' the best possible resolution of the human eye ?
    Funny you should ask! My vision was tested at 20/10 with a strange ability to be able to zoom.
    When I told the coach that I could see the bullet in flight, he said that it was not possible to do that.

I haven' broken out physiology and the trig books yet but I think a 5" target at more than 1/2 mile subtends ARC SECONDS! Suppose if the front sight blade of an 03A3 actually covers 18" at1000,( read that somewhere) 6" would be the middle third.) that's a feat few humans could accomplish, to suppose one of those few dropped by to flippantly claim oh yeah, did it yesterday. Strains my belief and your "proof was "ask me a shooting question"? You have to admit the fallacy of that logic
    When people make fun of the movie "Shooter" for being far fetched, I smile and remember!
    If you would like to see what I looked like in 1966, find the tv show where Chuck Norris won the triple crown in Washington, DC and look for the guys standing next to Bruce Lee ( the one first to shake his hand after his win). Pea green jacket with two dragons faceing each other.
    If you copy that photo to a DVD, let me know and I'll pay you for your trouble and send you more photos of that time in my life.
    Need a copy to give to my grandkids!

Any 15 year old with a good internet connection can come up with book answers.
    Which olympics did you compete compete in?
    Read where I said that I turned down the offer.

**an equally idiotic question**
    of course I could pick a an individual ??who won silver and claim with equal aplomb 'At's me!!).. So it's truly pointless. is not/is too..life's too short.
    Lastly it is "hathcock" had to check my copy "marine sniper"...Whether you can shoot the pubic hairs of a gnat at extreme range or not: I'll just piss-off and reimain unconvinvced.
    I can email you the copy of where he signed my NRA book because I did not have a copy of his book. I got one later because I felt it be the right thing to do.
    Glad to hear you find it hard to beleive. That means you think it was a very special thing.

In fact I no-longer care, I'm sure you have much to share with the rest of the board as human being firearmskills or no.. please excuse my rudeness. Most of the other monkeys play better with others...
    I made this information available to this forum because I would like to find other great shooters to talk with, and also because we may need to have a medium to share information.

have a nice weekend. Perhaps you can demonstrate at a monkey get together sometime then I'll be more than willing to provide refreshment of the Irish kind. Strike that: You have no reason to prove anything to anybody. especially me...And I'm' going to the davenport Iowa vintage motorcycle flat track race and swap meet for the next 3 days so the board will be remarkably troll less: y'all can carry on without any troll like behavior; to question any of it.
    Got some good bike stories too :)
    Have fun at the race and be careful with the wild woman there.

carry on...I' sure there are more than a few competitive shooters here somewhere...
    Hope so; that's why I'm here!
    Your Bud,[winkthumb]

18. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

They featured that Chey Tac on Future Weapons last season. Pretty cool. Not the only cool kid on the block though.

19. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ommega

Sounds like you could really add some intresting insight to the ole HB. Feel free to jump on over there, heres the addy www.handloadersbench.com Look forward to seeing your name there.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

20. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

Ommega......

I'm having trouble grasping anyone shooting a softball group (6 inches) with an M14 at 1000 yards. Especially considering that rifle was designed to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards as it's top performance specifications. And this is considered "Rack Grade".

I have had the privilege to observe other snipers of Gunny Hathcock's ability to shoot the M14. Even at 500 yards, on a 24 inch bullseye, with a 6 inch "X" ring, they rarely held 10 rounds within the "X" ring.

The M14 is actually not capable of 1000 yard accuracy. Granted the round is, the rifle is not.

Palma Shooters using special built bolt guns would love to group in the manner you describe.

Nope. Having expended several thousand rounds through an M14 myself, I do find it difficult to grasp such an event. And I have my Distinguished Masters rating.

I do think we need more information here. Because my tuned and balanced CZ 550 in 308 will not shoot such a group at 1000. And the M40's used by Marine Snipers are only set-up to shoot MOA at 1000. I.E.. a 10 inch group.

A gas operated rifle cannot hold groupings at range like a bolt rifle can. Now if you had made the claim using a M1903A3, I'd be drooling on the monitor and wishing you could show me how. But being a Jarhead, I amn skeptical.

But keep spinning the yarn. I especially like Nixon having called ya.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7