CheyTac Long Range Rifle System

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RightHand, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Ommega......

I'm having trouble grasping anyone shooting a softball group (6 inches) with an M14 at 1000 yards. Especially considering that rifle was designed to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards as it's top performance specifications. And this is considered "Rack Grade".
    Actuarially the standard is closer to 4"@ 100yds.
    National Match grade weapons are much better and some are better then others.
    If you marry the ammo and the mag to the weapon with the wind at near zero while sitting in a fox hole, that also helps.

I have had the privilege to observe other snipers of Gunny Hathcock's ability to shoot the M14. Even at 500 yards, on a 24 inch bullseye, with a 6 inch "X" ring, they rarely held 10 rounds within the "X" ring.
    You would do well to hang with Olympic type shooters that shoot somewhat better then that.
    I had the invitation to play in the pig pen at Stoney Point, NC and Gunny Mock a I had a talk about some of your concerns.
    We had a productive exchange of pleasantries as well as info regarding accuracy.
    3 am every morning for a week wore me out, plus getting done for the day well after supper time sucked too!

The M14 is actually not capable of 1000 yard accuracy. Granted the round is, the rifle is not.
    Most are good for only volley fire at that distance, but every once in a while you'll get a good one, and even more rarely you may find one that can drive tacks!
    My wife and I went through the DCM course and had not received out M-1's, so I called some old friends and got a call back from the top dog in the food chain.
    I explained who I was and he checked my story and then returned my call the next day with an offer to do what ever it took to make me happy!
    I said "could you sent me the best looking gun in the store and sent my wife the best shooter that you have"?
    He did....Hers will shoot a one hole at 100 yards and mine won't shoot worth a sh*t :-(
    (careful what you ask for)

Palma Shooters using special built bolt guns would love to group in the manner you describe.
    Yes I know some of the better Palma shooters and we talked about how we rate as shooters.
    They believed me when I told my story to them because the tips I gave them seamed to help they scores.
    My wife just call to remind me that we need to go so I'll finish this tomorrow.

Nope. Having expended several thousand rounds through an M14 myself, I do find it difficult to grasp such an event. And I have my Distinguished Masters rating.

I do think we need more information here. Because my tuned and balanced CZ 550 in 308 will not shoot such a group at 1000. And the M40's used by Marine Snipers are only set-up to shoot MOA at 1000. I.E.. a 10 inch group.

A gas operated rifle cannot hold groupings at range like a bolt rifle can. Now if you had made the claim using a M1903A3, I'd be drooling on the monitor and wishing you could show me how. But being a Jarhead, I amn skeptical.

But keep spinning the yarn. I especially like Nixon having called ya.

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

2. pgrass101

pgrass101 Monkey+++

Ommega when did you meet Hathcock and where?

Your claims border on the humanly impossible. You mention Stony Point and phone calls from Nixion, how about "The Farm" in Va were you ever there?

3. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

You would do well to hang with Olympic type shooters that shoot somewhat better then that.

No...I think the folks I was around fit the bill right nicely. Considering 2 of them served with Gunny Hathcock in Nam. One with a confirmed 99 kills. And he also shot on the Marine Corps Rifle Team for 2 years.

Besides, you seem to forget how many Marines have shot on the Olympic teams over the years. Not all of them were clerks or jerks.

Ommega........ I certainly hope you have a great HMO..... you're gonna dislocate your shoulder if you continue patting yourself on your back in such a manner.

May I suggest that you post this information on:

http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/index.php

You'll find the current record holder for 1000 yards grouping in Benchrest there. I'm certain the technoshooters there would love to hear your tales of excellence in marksmanship.

But it takes more then matching up a rifle with ammo and magazine to make an M14 shoot the way you describe.

So, I think I'll plant some late season tomato plants in the bovine fecal material spread upon this thread. Should be some good ones as thick as you have spread it.

pppssssttttt......Blackjack.... you know where we can find this boy a wheelbarrow??

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[rofllmao]

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[LMAO]

What'd'ya know..... we agree on something. [winkthumb]

6. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Ommega......

I'm having trouble grasping anyone shooting a softball group (6 inches) with an M14 at 1000 yards. Especially considering that rifle was designed to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards as it's top performance specifications. And this is considered "Rack Grade".
    Actuarially the standard is closer to 4"@ 100yds.
    National Match grade weapons are much better and some are better then others.
    If you marry the ammo and the mag to the weapon with the wind at near zero while sitting in a fox hole, that also helps.

I have had the privilege to observe other snipers of Gunny Hathcock's ability to shoot the M14. Even at 500 yards, on a 24 inch bullseye, with a 6 inch "X" ring, they rarely held 10 rounds within the "X" ring.
    I had the invitation to play in the pig pen at Stoney Point, NC and Gunny Mock a I had a talk about some of your concerns.
    We had a productive exchange of pleasantries as well as info regarding accuracy.
    3 am every morning for a week wore me out, plus getting done for the day well after supper time sucked too!

The M14 is actually not capable of 1000 yard accuracy. Granted the round is, the rifle is not.
    Most are good for only volley fire at that distance, but every once in a while you'll get a good one, and even more rarely you may find one that can drive tacks!
    My wife and I went through the DCM course and had not received out M-1's, so I called some old friends and got a call back from the top dog in the food chain.
    I explained who I was and he checked my story and then returned my call the next day with an offer to do what ever it took to make me happy!
    I said "could you sent me the best looking gun in the store and sent my wife the best shooter that you have"?
    He did....Hers will shoot a one hole at 100 yards and mine won't shoot worth a sh*t :-(
    (careful what you ask for)

Palma Shooters using special built bolt guns would love to group in the manner you describe.
    Yes I know some of the better Palma shooters and we talked about how we rate as shooters.
    They believed me when I told my story to them because the tips I gave them seamed to help they scores.
    My wife just call to remind me that we need to go so I'll finish this tomorrow.

Nope. Having expended several thousand rounds through an M14 myself, I do find it difficult to grasp such an event. And I have my Distinguished Masters rating.
    High Master and was offered what was then called "Life Master" because I went way over the points for Master!
    Life Master was an optional rating.

I do think we need more information here. Because my tuned and balanced CZ 550 in 308 will not shoot such a group at 1000. And the M40's used by Marine Snipers are only set-up to shoot MOA at 1000. I.E.. a 10 inch group.
    I got my CZ550/308 last year, but not had a chance to shoot for group as yet.
    What glass are you shooting? Beleive it or not , the scope will help or hurt you at that range.

A gas operated rifle cannot hold groupings at range like a bolt rifle can. Now if you had made the claim using a M1903A3, I'd be drooling on the monitor and wishing you could show me how. But being a Jarhead, I amn skeptical.
    It is very hard to comprehend an M-14 doing that well for me too, but it did.
    I like working with Jarheads, they get their cookies off at watching me shoot :)
    The mud, blood, and beer boys were easy to impress and amuse!
    It was my Marine cousin that taught me to shoot at the age of 5.

But keep spinning the yarn. I especially like Nixon having called ya.
    If or when I get bored and feel like telling more, I'll give you a bit of how the conversation went with the Chairman of the Joint Chief's (Earl Wheeler).
    Because you are a shooter too, I'll share with you some of the fine points for the advanced competitors.
    You will need to find a shooting partner to assist as a coach to apply some of the practice exercises.
    "I'll Be Back"

Your Bud,
    Changed my mind....
    Your on you own .....
    First meet Carlos at a VA gun show and after I told him the same and more he would visit me at my NRA booth fo hours. this went on for a few years, some times he was even out of his wheele chair. We got in to some detail about how to shoot well and he was very impressed with what I shared with him. Do you realy beleive that I give a rats ass what you THINK?
    Have a good life .....
    Your why the rest of the folks will not get to hear the rest of the story!
    Your Bud, NOT!
    If the fishing friends of Carlos are out there from VA Beach, Please forgive for being so rude, but I read a great t-shirt from Bubba's in Buxton, NC that read "NEVER TRY TO TEACH A PIG TO DANCE, YOU'LL ONLY FRUSTRATE YOURSELF AND AGRAVATE THE PIG!

7. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

I tried, I really did but alas[troll] [BSf] . Now I'm not saying you didn't put time in behind the M14 but I do have to call it the way I see it and the claim about shooting the metal plate that was showing hits on the target? So you are saying that when you were in the military shooting on a military range you shot a NON target and the Rangemaster didn't jump your butt? Now that I find just a tad hard to believe.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

8. pgrass101

pgrass101 Monkey+++

That's so sad, I was really looking forward to his "stories"

I was just waiting for him to tell us about working in Area 51

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

[peep]

Just drinking afternoon beer and reading.

I missed a skunk at 50 yards.....I suck.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[booze][gun](F.E.S.?) fast evasive skunk???l???..C'MON CLYDE ! ALCOHOL AND FIREARMS??[gone]( Momma taught you better 'an at!)

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No, No, No!! You got that wrong. He threw the MT bottle and missed.[beat]

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

That's acceptable, gotta set a good example for the kids...
    ( still calling peta on yer enebriated mammary ( er--mammal) abusing self...)

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Nothing short of a copy of a DD214 and picture of Omega and Carlos talking shop and a picture of the Nixon target would even come close to me believing this story.

14. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

how about a pic of him, Carlos and Nixon sitting on the White House veranda drinking a cold one and holding up the hit marker?
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7