Recipe Chicken Curry .... crockpot

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Mar 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Smothered Chicken Curry n Rice Casserole (slow cooker)

Years ago I was invited to dinner with the family of one of my workers. The Grandmother had prepared her special recipe for Curried Chicken and Onions to be served with white rice. A fresh garden salad and homemade whole wheat bread with whipped honey butter was also served. The meal was delicious. I requested the Chicken Curry recipe as it was probably the best in my opinion that I had ever tasted. I was politely denied the recipe as it was her secret. For years I have tried to duplicate the flavor of her secret recipe, but I had always fallen short.

The following recipe is very very close and I am satisfied. I will proudly serve this and call it mine.

Ingredients:

2.5 to 3 lbs Chicken pieces (I used skin on chicken thighs)
    1 large Yellow Onion, peeled, cut in half crossways like as to make onion rings, then julian the halves
    2 cans 10.5 oz condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
    2 cans 4 oz Mushroom stems and pieces ... do not drain
    3 TBS Curry Powder
    1 packet Recipes secrets Onion Soup mix (one envelope, not the whole box)

All the above is layered in a 5 quart crockpot, onion, 1 can soup, 1 can mushrooms, chicken, curry powder, onion soup mix, 2nd can soup, 2nd can mushrooms.

Cook in crockpot on low covered for 6 to 8 hours.

This will give you the basic Chicken Curry in sauce to be served over rice of your choice. I chose to do it as a one pot meal, and at the 3 hour point added the following, optional ingredients.

1 box 8 oz Zatarains New Orleans style Smothered Chicken Rice Mix
    8 oz fresh Carrots diced
    2.5 cups water

I offer up this recipe to family and friends who might like to try Chicken Curry with my blessing to enjoy.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

During my Navy days, I developed an utter hatred for curry, due to the way the Filipino mess cranks turned some good meat into Gawdaweful goo with their version of it.

Then about ten years ago, I was talked into trying some at a very excellent Indian restaurant here in town. I learned that curry can be very good! [applaud]

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Sounds like me and pork adobo with rice ....... yuck. We damn near had a mutany on one of the ships I was on until we got a menu review board, and some dietary relief.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, everything those little barstages cooked tasted the same. BAD!
    I found that good curry is like good gumbo - the cook has to know what he/she is doing!
    Your recipe sounds pretty good.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Try making a half batch of the chicken and sauce less the optionals on the stove top. Brown your chicken pieces in a bit of butter. Remove chicken and reserve. Carmelize your onions. Dump a can of mushrooms in and deglaze the pan. Add the mushroom soup, curry, and recipe secrets onion soup mix. Stir the sauce until well blended. Return the chicken to the pan, reduce heat to a slow simmer covered but stirring occasionally. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes before serving.
    This is the quick way, and should give you full effect of flavors. Also If it turns out you don't like it you ain't out that much. Me, I am hooked on it and this recipe will become a staple of my cooking regimen.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop