Chicken in a can anyone?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by survivalmonkey, Mar 25, 2010.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

Pics courtesy of FoodNetwork Humor section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Re: GIM - Presenting the "Thats Just Nasty" thread

I saw this in W VA about 20 years ago except it was clear 1 gallon glass jars with whole canned chickens. IIRC, they were unplucked.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I used to buy these "whole Chickens" in the can, in the mid to late 70's. BUT, they were not that gross, and NOT that brand. In fact, that brand can be found here today as "Chicken and dumplings" in a can. You'll need a magnifying lens to find the chicken pieces, ( if any), and a shovel, to wade through the dumplings!
    My son likes them,...what can I say he's 20!???
    (no taste buds have formed yet I guess!)

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I bought one too. Same brand. Tastes okay - same as their Chicken&Dumplings, just on the bone. So 'overcooked' it literally falls off the bones! Isn't really as gross as it looks. But, some bones are tiny and you have to be careful!
    Could be something to put back for stormy times. But I'd go for the C&D instead - more of a 'single serve meal'.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well y'all say what ever you like about canned chicken.... but, I buy chicken leg quarters on sale 18 to 38 cents per pound in 10 pound bags. Usually get 60 to 80 pounds. I process by separating backbone section from thigh, skinning all and removing excess fat. All that goes into a stockpot for homemade chicken broth (i can that too / defatted of course). The raw chicken legs and thighs are packed into wide mouth quart jars. I then preocess in a pressure canner as per current Ball canning guide. They are good for several years, but usually get eaten long before that. Excellent for chicken enchiladas, creamed chicken, chicken ala king, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup, any chicken soups you can think of, and many many more recipes. I get 6 or 7 quarts for every 20 pounds and 2 or 3 quarts of rich double strength broth. Each quart of chicken is 2 to 2.5 pounds of chicken at a cost of 51 cents to $1.28 per quart. Consider the broth free. One heck of a good deal if you ask me, and long term shelf ready. Compare that to the price of canned chicken at the store.
    compare to these prices... 4 cans about the same as my quart ... their price about $10

Swanson Premium Chunk Chicken in Water, White & Dark Meat, 9.75-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Nearly every adult in my family at one time or another has canned...I never learned the art myself. Guess it's about time to get started!

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It's not that hard. A little time consuming. It gives you an excuse if you need one to really clean up your kitchen first. Ball puts out an excellent canning guide. The size of a magazine. Grow plenty of tomatoes this year, and instead of giving away the excess, can them. Check the thrift stores on a regular basis to pick up a good used pressure canner cheap. If I can do it anyone should be able to. ...lol

8. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

[rofllmao]

THAT IS POSSIBLY THE FUNNIEST PICTURE I'VE SEEN ON THIS SITE!!

Poor little guy looks kinda stunned... I don't blame him!

BTW, how big is that can?!?

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL! I'd like mine WITH the abortion left inside the can, please!
    chickwtf.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Home Style Goodness.
    Yeah that kids mouth tells it all.

OH LOL! A new Motivational poster is born!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7