Chicken Tractors

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Equilibrium, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

This is actually for dragonfly but.... somebody else might be interested in a really great way to foil Wiley Coyote and those wascally wolves. I helped make a chicken tractor. It was easy.... if I can do it.... trust me.... anyone can. They're simple enough.... we use scrap materials except for the sheet metal used for the self feeders which is a little tricky but surely could be modified by somebody handier than me or use a standard 5 gallon galvanized feeder.

This is a fantastic way to protect your livestock from ground and air attacks.... raptors do like chickens as much as coyotes and it's a fantastic way to reduce your feed bills too! The first photo is the actual chicken tractor. 2nd is where I lifted up the "lid" to try to photograph the feeders.... I didn't do so good but I tried. The 3rd illustrates how you scoot the chicken tractor up to fresh grass and new bugs every day. These tractors don't have wheels.... you literally just lift and drag and the chickens.... or turkeys in this case.... move with the enclosure. You can scoot these tractors all over the place fertilizing along the way and after about 10 days or so.... start all over in the same place you were from the get go. There are waterers on the ground that you can fill with a garden hose by lifting the lid.

Easy peasy.... the concept is beautiful. What's even more beautiful about it is that it's functional and this size can accommodate about 20 chickens.
    Some more basic info here,
    Portable pens for pastured poultry: designs that beat heat, wind, and rain | ManagingWholes.com
    Seeds of Change - Chicken Tractors
    Chicken Tractors for Sustainable Agriculture - Garden Asheville
    Chicken Tractor Gallery compiled by Katy

img_3120. img_3121. img_3125.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'd say you have a big enough yard for them.

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ummm... not my yard.... sure do wish it was though. This yard belongs to a physics professor whose into sustainable agriculture. I'm actually going with a different set up because of where I am. We don't have wolves down by me.... wish we did but.... he definitely has wolves. You rarely see any of our coyotes during the day unless they're sick. We do have wild packs of dogs that you sometimes see during the day, birds of prey, and snakes. It's the snakes I'm mostly concerned about around me and not the little garter snakes. It's the bigguns which.... I happen to like that I've got to protect chickens from.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Awesome, Thanks!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7