Chicom knock off Yaesu VX-8DR

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by stg58, Mar 17, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I just wish these FCC Yahoos, would Grandfather all us Advanced Licensees into the Extra Class.... Back in my testing days, the only difference was the Code Speed, between the two... Oh Well, I still keep it because I like the nestalgia....

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Now, I'm confused... the Veasu is a knock of the Yaesu and the HiGrade is a knock off of the Veasu?

I was thinking the Bao-Feng BF-8HP as something to learn on (on receive only as no license) and enter into Hams and perhaps then I would get off my duff and get my license. The Veasu is the same price... The question is which is better quality and reliability...obviously you get what you pay for (one hopes!) but my guess is they are about the same. Chinese made for 60 bucks...probably no difference.

3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

It looks like they are the same thing with a different name although the higrade covers more 136-260 on the VHF band.

4. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

At least the last link comes right out and says "Copy radio"...

...or was that "crappy radio"?

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@BTPost
    Bruce, I have ~300 countries confirmed; my interest is CW DX. It's my interest and focus as far as Ham Radio goes. No offense, but logging you on 60 CW and getting your QSL is me.

Although, I have a plaque from CD for my volunteer work; I'm a DX junkie. The only reason I worked VHF/UHF on CW as a "hired gun" was my field day partner sold me on XXX miles on VHF/UHF was as good as VK or ZL on long path. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rick

I have two of the F8-HPs and like them a lot. My biggest complaint is they have only 128 memory slots.

Here is a quick review I did on the F8-HP
    BaoFeng BF-F8HP first glance review at a CERT Training event.

To load all the AZ repeaters i could use take 200+ slots.

My FT-60 has 1000 slots.

I also have the F8-HPs Big Bro PowerWerx DB-750x. Covers the same channels as the Beofangs. Uhf/vhf, frs, gmrs, marine commerical.... And does X-Band repeat as well.
    Powerwerx DB-750X Dual Band VHF/UHF 750 Channel Commercial Mobile Radio [DB-750X] - $299.99

Bandit99 likes this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I was perfectly happy with a General class until my Elmer said I put 17 Hams on the air and not one Extra. Then, "Sonny" you have the speed. After years, out of respect for him, I went from general to advanced to extra within 2 test sessions. Before I received my **/aa ticket in the mail; I was a **/ae.
    IMO. the advanced was the most difficult ticket. Extra was a lot easier; no Smith chart and laws except for the code speed. As I was ~33 WPM, Extra class wasn't a big thing. As my Elmer was an OSS code operator during WWII; he could make me send QRS or please send slower in a heartbeat.:)
    My Elmer was devious as he knew me; so he said a lot of DX-peditions are in the Extra band.
    He was W3DXA and now a silent key.

IMHO. no code was the worst thing that happened to Ham Radio as the code kept the cr*p we see today out. Personally, I find computer generated CW lame as it sticks out the same as a man who forgot to zip his zipper. However, that is just my opinion.

9. BTPost

I was a Tech for decades, and then went for a commercial Telegraph Ticket, so I could go to Sea.... Then I found out, I got Seasick if I ever left the Dock.... So I went and got the Aircraft Endorsment, and Radar Endorsement... And while there, I sat for the Advanced Code Test, and just barely slipped by... So I decided to stay and sit for the General, and Advanced... Passed both, and the rest is 2 Decades of history... I was then recruited to be a Resident FCC Field Agent, after those 2 Decades of doing SOLAS, Inspections, on over 300 Ton Ocean Going Freighters, and Passenger Vessels... ReTIRED, and now just fool around with the Technology.... AlaskaChick got a Tech just after we were married... Then when they went NoCode, she was Grandfathered in to her General License... It took a few phone calls, back to Gettysburg, to document, that she had taken the Tech Code Test at Seattle FCC Field Office, so that she would be Grandfathered... Fortunately they did find the Records, down in some dusty Archives, and some good friends that went digging for us...

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@AD1 Thanks! I think I will pick the Bao-Feng later this month to play with...128 memory slots would not be a show stopper for me in the interim while I get the hang of things.

11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

BT, I'm pretty sure that is a racist comment, you need to go back to PC school.

LOL, not a new case just a new logo sticker.

12. BTPost

I do NOT do PC... in ANY form... Oh, well, there is an exception.... I do Virtual Machines in Windoz XP.....

13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rick here is a video on how to program using Chirp
    How to program your ham radio using Chirp software

1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. Tully Mars
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. bumpshadow
  8. hitchcock4