Chris Knives San Diego

Discussion in 'Blades' started by mdl66, Mar 9, 2008.

1. mdl66

mdl66 Monkey+++

45 001. Is anybody familiar with the maker of this knife?I picked it up at pawn shop for $20.00,its marked Chris Knives San Diego on the blade and sheath.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No, don't know the name but it sure looks nice!

FiSheWoman likes this.
  3. F14Scott

F14Scott Monkey+

CHRIS KNIVES - San Diego

I have a little information regarding your knife.

In 1991, I was a Navy ensign, just out of AOCS, when I got myself "stashed" with Fighter Squadron 1 (VF-1) at NAS Miramar. That squadron had just returned from Iraq after a (roughly) six month combat tour, having just participated in Desert Storm.

Several of the guys had Chris (last name unknown, or, more accurately, not remembered by me) Knives that they carried with them while they flew in combat over Iraq. I thought that was pretty cool, so I asked them to introduce me to him and had him make me a knife to put into my flight kit.

I made it through flight school and even got F-14s, like my buddies in VF-1, and carried my Chris Knife over Iraq when I flew my own combat hops in Operation Southern Watch in 1995.

Here's a picture of my knife. I believe I paid Chris $200 for it, in 1991.

IMAG0268.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Wow. Thanks for the background info!

5. F14Scott

F14Scott Monkey+

My pleasure. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've never cared for the sheath, as it does not positively hold the knife into itself; it uses only friction on the handle, and there isn't much friction.

I'd like to have a nice Kydex sheath made for it. Can anyone recommend someone who does custom work?

6. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I used www.redhillsheaths.com for my knives but he may be overwhelmed with work now. Couldn't hurt to ask.

F14Scott likes this.
  7. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Do it yourself- www.knifekits.com has all the materials, tools, and information you need to make a kydex sheath. I've made them before, and it really isn't hard and it doean't even take long. I used an oven, but a heat gun would be much more controllable.

It really is so much easier now. 10 years ago when I made my first sheath, I had to figure out a way to mount it to a belt. Now, you can get premade belt loops, or even MOLLE fasteners.

8. ia911guy

ia911guy Monkey+

Chris Knives

I'm very pleased to see that so many people have Chris Knives that they have cared for- most especially the veterans that have posted saying they carried them in combat. To answer the question as to the identity of the maker, his name was Verner (Chris) Christensen. He was my grandfather.
    Grandpa Chris passed away in 2003 and lies in rest at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetary, Point Loma, CA.
    If any of you would be so kind as to post photos of other knives you have that were made by Chris, I would greatly appreciate it!

Alicia, gunbunny, JLRhiner and 12 others like this.
  9. Nice, no very nice, knife. And cool on the history of it, and very nice that you also get to see stuff of your granpa still in use and loved.

Helps ya know what we sow keeps on and on.

Tywin Lannister and HK_User like this.
  10. 5artist5

5artist5 Monkey+

This is a great story guys! Thanks for making my morning!!

11. FiSheWoman

FiSheWoman Full-time Montana Outdoor Enthusiast

IMG_7884.JPG
    I also have a knife made by Chris....here's a photo of the front and with any luck at all, I'll be able to also post a photo of the back where the 'Chris' logos are... IMG_7886.JPG
    IMG_7884.JPG

GOG, F14Scott and Brokor like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

13. swampdweller

swampdweller Monkey

14. nelsenchad77

nelsenchad77 Monkey

I see my cousin has responded to this post. He very humbly described our Grandpa. Grandpa Chris was a self taught knife maker. He also made jewelry and these were just a couple of things he was good at. Here are a few of the knives that I have. The first pics are of the carving set he made for my wife and I's wedding. The second is a knife he made for me and the third is a knife he made for my dad about 30 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3M-TA3, Tywin Lannister, GOG and 3 others like this.
  15. nelsenchad77

nelsenchad77 Monkey

This knife looks like one of his early ones because of the ivory handle. His later stuff is made from linen, because it became illegal to possess ivory in the USA. You got a heck of a deal that was probably a $200 -$300 knife when he made it.

Tywin Lannister and GOG like this.
  16. I can see the attraction of the knives. Presently I have no knife like this, but I will try to find it. It is looking different and unique. What I like most in this knife is the marks on the blade. I have not seen this in any other knife. Ultimately the case to carry it also one of the its kind. I think your grandpa had vast knowledge of the knives and how to use them.

17. Montana Man

Montana Man Monkey

SAM_2486.JPG

SAM_2489.JPG

SAM_2497.JPG

JLRhiner, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  18. Montana Man

Montana Man Monkey

Been meaning to upload these pictures for awhile but had to open an account first, haha. This beauty is a prize possession in my collection.

Dunerunner likes this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey, @Montana Man Welcome to the Monkey Tree.... nice knives...

Dunerunner likes this.
  20. CliffA

CliffA Neophyte Monkey

I have a nice one I don't really need.

IMG_2232.JPG

3M-TA3 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7